Professional Web Applications Themes

Really, really loud iBook... - Mac Portable

It seems like usually this is a Powerbook issue, but I recently purchased the top-o-the-line 12-inch iBook (900/Combo/384). Works great, but the fan is really, really loud. I mean, it is consistently buzzing away. Is this normal? You hear so much about how loud Powerbooks are, then you meet an iBook that's easily a couple times louder. Nothing at all seems wrong, I've had it for a few months, just loud as all heck.... Anyone? Thanks, [email]Noahsnychotmail.com[/email]...

  1. #1

    Default Really, really loud iBook...

    It seems like usually this is a Powerbook issue, but I recently
    purchased the top-o-the-line 12-inch iBook (900/Combo/384). Works
    great, but the fan is really, really loud. I mean, it is consistently
    buzzing away. Is this normal? You hear so much about how loud
    Powerbooks are, then you meet an iBook that's easily a couple times
    louder. Nothing at all seems wrong, I've had it for a few months, just
    loud as all heck....

    Anyone?

    Thanks,

    [email]Noahsnychotmail.com[/email]
    Noah S. Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Really, really loud iBook...

    In article <677f8ca4.0308140823.e73323dposting.google.com> ,
    [email]noahsnychotmail.com[/email] (Noah S.) wrote:
    > It seems like usually this is a Powerbook issue, but I recently
    > purchased the top-o-the-line 12-inch iBook (900/Combo/384). Works
    > great, but the fan is really, really loud. I mean, it is consistently
    > buzzing away. Is this normal? You hear so much about how loud
    > Powerbooks are, then you meet an iBook that's easily a couple times
    > louder. Nothing at all seems wrong, I've had it for a few months, just
    > loud as all heck....
    >
    > Anyone?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > [email]Noahsnychotmail.com[/email]
    I don't think my iBook, or any iBook, has a fan. Are you sure you are
    not hearing something like a bearing in a disk?

    My 2 cents? I think I would ask Apple about it right away!

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  3. #3

    In article <rodsmith-B78B34.16555114082003news.east.cox.net>, Rod
    Smith <rodsmithmac.com> wrote:
    > I don't think my iBook, or any iBook, has a fan. Are you sure you are
    > not hearing something like a bearing in a disk?
    The white ones have a fan. It'll come on when its been working hard, or
    has its vents blocked. Yesterday it came on when I was running Virtual
    PC. VPC uses the processor alot, not allowing it to nap so it increases
    the power consumption (and thus heat to dissipate) a lot.

    Tweaking the energy saver may help.

    --
    Barry
    [email]Barrynetbox.com[/email] <http://www.netbox.com/barry>

  4. #4

    In article <rodsmith-5E29A3.19395314082003news.east.cox.net>,
    Rod Smith <rodsmithmac.com> wrote:
    > I stand corrrected. I will say I've never heard mine come on, although I
    > sometimes miss guns going off with my poor hearing!
    I'd say that if you're living in an area where gunfire is a regular
    occurance then perhaps listening for your iBook fan might not be your
    biggest worry in life. :)
    Particle Man Guest

  5. #5

    In article <usenet-A9EA34.05013916082003quokka.wn.com.au>,
    Particle Man <usenetdjgrafixanddesign.com> wrote:
    > I'd say that if you're living in an area where gunfire is a regular
    > occurance then perhaps listening for your iBook fan might not be your
    > biggest worry in life. :)
    Eglin AFB 'surrounds' the city where I live. They have been know to test
    a few munitions, take the place of the Navy gunnery range island off
    Puerto Rico (I've forgotten its name), run military exercises, drop
    gigantic bombs including bunker busters, test various missiles including
    Tomahawks, train with AC 130's all night, etc., etc., etc. What I hear
    is the sound of freedom!!!!

    An iBook fan is surely a whisper compared to this sort of thing! It is
    not my biggest worry in life!

    --
    Rod Smith
    Florida Panhandle

  6. #6

    In article <140820032201127969%barrynetbox.com>, Barry Twycross wrote:
    > In article <rodsmith-B78B34.16555114082003news.east.cox.net>, Rod
    > Smith <rodsmithmac.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think my iBook, or any iBook, has a fan. Are you sure you are
    >> not hearing something like a bearing in a disk?
    >
    > The white ones have a fan. It'll come on when its been working hard, or
    > has its vents blocked.
    My iBook 700 has a fan, and on it's third motherboard, the fans currently are
    quite cavalier in inclination to turn on. The last two motherboards turn the
    fan on partway through a battery charge, as well as other odd occasions when
    the power is plugged in, and this latest one, I've noticed, has even run the
    fan on rare occasions with battery power, over the past week or so (although
    with record temps of 36degrees last weekend here in London, that's excusable).

    The fan isn't so much loud, as it is insistent that attention be paid to it.

    --
    Ian Tindale

    Ian Tindale Guest

  7. #7

    In article <slrnbjt9t7.f40.meprivacy.net>, Ian Tindale
    <meprivacy.net> wrote:
    > In article <140820032201127969%barrynetbox.com>, Barry Twycross wrote:
    > > In article <rodsmith-B78B34.16555114082003news.east.cox.net>, Rod
    > > Smith <rodsmithmac.com> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't think my iBook, or any iBook, has a fan. Are you sure you are
    > >> not hearing something like a bearing in a disk?
    > >
    > > The white ones have a fan. It'll come on when its been working hard, or
    > > has its vents blocked.
    >
    > My iBook 700 has a fan, and on it's third motherboard, the fans currently are
    > quite cavalier in inclination to turn on. The last two motherboards turn the
    > fan on partway through a battery charge, as well as other odd occasions when
    > the power is plugged in, and this latest one, I've noticed, has even run the
    > fan on rare occasions with battery power, over the past week or so (although
    > with record temps of 36degrees last weekend here in London, that's excusable).
    >
    > The fan isn't so much loud, as it is insistent that attention be paid to it.
    I'm gobsmacked. My 14" dual-USB 600MHz iBook has never so much as
    hinted at having a fan, even in this summer's fatal heat. The vent
    under the lid's hinge betrays no impelled airflow. There is no aural
    accompaniment to the HD's whirr. That "the white ones have a fan" may
    be true; but if so, my white one's fan is inoperative to no apparent
    disadvantage.

    If some fan-installer was in the loo whilst my iBook passed along the
    assembly belt, I can only say, "Thanks. mate. Have another Guinness!"
    :-)

    Nigel

    --
    Nigel
    Nigel Blatheringstock Guest

  8. #8

    In article <160820032017259771%LordBumbreshootyahoo.co.uk> , Nigel Blatheringstock wrote:
    > In article <slrnbjt9t7.f40.meprivacy.net>, Ian Tindale
    ><meprivacy.net> wrote:
    >
    >> My iBook 700 has a fan, and on it's third motherboard, the fans currently are
    >> quite cavalier in inclination to turn on. The last two motherboards turn the
    >> fan on partway through a battery charge, as well as other odd occasions when
    > I'm gobsmacked. My 14" dual-USB 600MHz iBook has never so much as
    > hinted at having a fan, even in this summer's fatal heat. The vent
    I bought the iBook 700 mid last July, and we left London for a month visiting
    family in Jamaica (pretty much all of August - this time last year).
    Thus, as a new-ish iBook, now in Jamaica, I didn't hear the fan once -
    didn't even know it had one.
    The fan only materialised once I'd arrived back home and sent the machine
    away for fixing because three days into the Jamaica trip, the machine emitted
    a burning smell and the mouse/trackpad was dead from that moment on.
    Luckily I'd packed a Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse, which tided me over. The
    fixing involved a replacement trackpad/mouse assembly, something else, and a
    mainboard swop. The new (and first of what so far is three) mainboard was the
    first to see fit to ever activate the fan. It carried on doing it all the way
    through the winter too - usually only during the latter portion of a charge
    cycle, or prolonged use with power.

    --
    Ian Tindale
    Ian Tindale Guest