Professional Web Applications Themes

realplayer - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

i am currently running redhat 8.0 using mozilla with realplayer 8 as the plugin for .rm, .ram files and the updated version 9 codecs. my problem is that when i click on a link that pops up a window to play a ..rm stream i only receive the popup window. the realplayer will not play in the window, and this only happens for some links. i think that the popup window does not receive the address of the file it is supposed to play. but in windows nt the link plays. my question is "how can i get linux, realplayer ...

  1. #1

    Default realplayer

    i am currently running redhat 8.0 using mozilla with realplayer 8 as
    the plugin for .rm, .ram files and the updated version 9 codecs. my
    problem is that when i click on a link that pops up a window to play a
    ..rm stream i only receive the popup window. the realplayer will not
    play in the window, and this only happens for some links. i think
    that the popup window does not receive the address of the file it is
    supposed to play. but in windows nt the link plays.

    my question is "how can i get linux, realplayer for unix, and mozilla
    to play what i want it to?"

    here is the address where the links are located.

    [url]http://www.france2.fr/semiStatic/61-481-NIL-NIL.html#[/url]

    the links for "le journal de 8h" and "le journal de 20h" will not
    play, but the link for "le journal de 13h" does.

    at one point i would just guess at the address of the .rm file, send
    it to realplayer to get the stream, but it plays really slow and in
    poor quality, probably because it doesn't stream as quickly due to the
    firewall???

    any comments would be greatly appreciated.

    Joel Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: realplayer

    Joel Smith wrote:
    > my question is "how can i get linux, realplayer for unix, and mozilla
    > to play what i want it to?"
    .... hmmm. did you get the correct version? it plays on
    this end using any of my browsers
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Overload -- core meltdown sequence initiated.

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    On 7/8/2003 12:06 PM, someone claiming to be Joel Smith wrote:
    > i am currently running redhat 8.0 using mozilla with realplayer 8 as
    > the plugin for .rm, .ram files and the updated version 9 codecs. my
    > problem is that when i click on a link that pops up a window to play a
    > .rm stream i only receive the popup window. the realplayer will not
    > play in the window, and this only happens for some links. i think
    > that the popup window does not receive the address of the file it is
    > supposed to play. but in windows nt the link plays.
    >
    > my question is "how can i get linux, realplayer for unix, and mozilla
    > to play what i want it to?"

    Do you have an entry like:
    in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins ?

    If not, locate you rpnp.so file and create a symlink to it in your
    $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory.

    HTH,
    Tim

    Tim Wunder Guest

  4. #4

    i'd like to thank the people who gave me these suggestions. i'm still
    having trouble so first i'll list my questions then list the five
    suggestions with my responses.

    q1. i decided to go with mozplugger (see s3 and r3). it doesn't work
    because it does not download the stream into /tmp/plugtmp. any ideas
    on how to get mozilla to do that?

    q2. i don't have a $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory? should i create
    one and put in a synlink? (see s4 and r4)

    q3. would changing the PNA settings in realplayer solve my problems?
    (see s5 and r5).

    s1. ... hmmm. did you get the correct version? it plays on
    this end using any of my browsers.

    r1. i got the version for linux, glibc 2.2 or something like that.
    realplayer works. previously it would only work for some links.

    s2. ... look at the source for the popup window and
    find the address of the file (an .rpm file for the BBC). You can then
    input this on the command line in realplay.

    r2. i had tried this and it worked, but it worked poorly. the quality of
    the stream was a lot worse compared to what i was getting when it did
    work inside of a window with an embedded realplayer. i.e. the link
    for "le journal de 13h" worked great.

    s3. ... but isn't mozplugger a universal plugin that could
    be used to run realplayer in these pop-up windows embedded objects?

    r3. i downloaded this from the mozplugger homepage i tested some plugins
    and they worked. now the links are downloaded to the directory
    /tmp/plugtmp/ and shown in a separate frame. it works great for
    postscript, pdf, tiff, but now realplayer won't work at all even for
    the links that were working. it sends up an error window which says
    that there is no file /tmp/plugtmp/<filename>.rm, then it produces two
    realplayer applications that have don't play anything, and the mozilla
    popup window that should contain the realplayer doesn't contain
    realplayer. the <filename> appears to be correct, but i think that for
    some reason it doesn't download the file to the /tmp/plugtmp
    directory. I think that this is the best way to go, but how can i get
    mozilla to download the .rm file, even though it appeared to download
    the .ps, .pdf, and other files to the /tmp/plugtmp directory?

    s4. Do you have an entry like:
    in $HOME/.mozilla/plugins ? If not, locate you rpnp.so file and
    create a symlink to it in your $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory.

    r4. i don't even have a $HOME/.mozilla/plugins directory. i think i
    have a $HOME/.netscape/plugins directory, that contains (i think) an
    file called rpnp.so. if i am running the latest version of mozilla
    from redhat, which comes from their redhat network, should i have a
    plugins directory? i tried to update mozilla to version 1.4 (from
    rpmfind rawhide rpms) but it didn't work. it looks like i'd have to
    update evolution and openssl and a lot of other stuff.

    s5. ... I suspect a firewall issue.

    r5. i believe that this is the case, but i'm still a newbie, even
    though i've been using unix and linux for many years.

    i did try the following

    Start RealPlayer 8.
    Click the View menu and choose Preferences.
    Click the Transport tab.
    Click Use Specified Transport.
    Click the RTSP Settings button.
    Click Use HTTP Only.

    i just read that i should do the following..

    Click the PNA Settings button.
    Click Use HTTP Only.