Professional Web Applications Themes

Realplayer xtra doesnt work correctly with Realplayer 10 and crashes - Macromedia Director Lingo

The latest RealPlayer from Real Networks (Realplayer 10) does not allow you to control the volume and it crashes Director 8.5. The Realplayer Xtra allows you to select the sound channel that it plays through, or you can choose "any" and it will play in the highest channel. This works fine with Realplayer 8 thru RealPlayerOne Version 2. But the latest version of Realplayer won't let you control the audio level. It is always at maximum volume. It won't accept any other setting except "any", and setting all the sound channels to a different volume level has no effect. After ...

  1. #1

    Default Realplayer xtra doesnt work correctly with Realplayer 10 and crashes

    The latest RealPlayer from Real Networks (Realplayer 10) does not allow you
    to control the volume and it crashes Director 8.5.

    The Realplayer Xtra allows you to select the sound channel that it plays
    through, or you can choose "any" and it will play in the highest channel.
    This works fine with Realplayer 8 thru RealPlayerOne Version 2. But the
    latest version of Realplayer won't let you control the audio level. It is
    always at maximum volume. It won't accept any other setting except "any",
    and setting all the sound channels to a different volume level has no
    effect. After you stop the movie, Director quits with a fatal error.

    Is there any fix for this?

    Blackrock Guest

  2. #2

    Is Macromedia aware of this problem? Anyone out there?

    "Blackrock" <com> wrote in message
    you

    Blackrock Guest

  3. #3

    I'm on kind of same problem : I can't set a rm video volume. But I don't get
    any crash... could you tell me how do you set your rm movie volume, please ?

    --
    ------------------
    Ned
    "Blackrock" <com> a écrit dans le message de
    | The latest RealPlayer from Real Networks (Realplayer 10) does not allow
    you
    | to control the volume and it crashes Director 8.5.
    |
    | The Realplayer Xtra allows you to select the sound channel that it plays
    | through, or you can choose "any" and it will play in the highest channel.
    | This works fine with Realplayer 8 thru RealPlayerOne Version 2. But the
    | latest version of Realplayer won't let you control the audio level. It is
    | always at maximum volume. It won't accept any other setting except "any",
    | and setting all the sound channels to a different volume level has no
    | effect. After you stop the movie, Director quits with a fatal error.
    |
    | Is there any fix for this?

    Ned Guest

  4. #4

    Director 8.5 is two versions and two years old. If Real Networks chooses to
    make a new version of Real player that is not backwards compatible, then
    there's not a whole lot MM can do. What you might want to ask instead is if
    the newer versions of Director contain a newer version of the Xtra. I don't
    know the answer to that, but it's a question that MM can answer.

    hth,
    Doug
    > you [/ref]
    channel. [/ref]
    is [/ref]
    "any",

    >[/ref]

    Doug Guest

  5. #5

    "Ned" <fr> wrote in message
    get
    ?

    First, don't use RealPlayer 10, since it currently won't let you control the
    volume. This is a beta version, so it may get fixed.

    The RealPlayer xtra has two modes for audio; RealPlayer native audio mode,
    where you can't control the audio, and Director mode, where you can control
    the audio with lingo. It is in Director mode by default.

    In Director audio mode, RealPlayer uses the highest sound channel by
    default, or you can specify channel 1-8. Just use the default and it will
    use sound channel 8. So...

    sound(8).volume = 255 --- sets to full volume

    sound(8).volume = 0 -- turns off volume

    sound(8).volume = 100 -- somewhere in the middle

    Go here
    http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/soundvideo/realmedia_xtra/

    and you can download the doentation for the RealPlayer Xtra.

    Hope this helps.

    Christopher

    Blackrock Guest

  6. #6

    | First, don't use RealPlayer 10, since it currently won't let you control
    the
    | volume. This is a beta version, so it may get fixed.
    |
    | The RealPlayer xtra has two modes for audio; RealPlayer native audio mode,
    | where you can't control the audio, and Director mode, where you can
    control
    | the audio with lingo. It is in Director mode by default.
    |
    | In Director audio mode, RealPlayer uses the highest sound channel by
    | default, or you can specify channel 1-8. Just use the default and it will
    | use sound channel 8. So...
    |
    | sound(8).volume = 255 --- sets to full volume
    |
    | sound(8).volume = 0 -- turns off volume
    |
    | sound(8).volume = 100 -- somewhere in the middle
    |
    | Go here
    | http://www.macromedia.com/support/director/soundvideo/realmedia_xtra/
    |
    | and you can download the doentation for the RealPlayer Xtra.
    |
    | Hope this helps.
    |
    | Christopher

    it's great, many thanks. :o)

    --
    ------------------

  7. #7

    "Doug Golenski" <com> wrote in message

    Well, if Real Networks _chooses_... They probably don't even know.

    RealPlayer 10 is a beta version.

    I'd just like an acknowledgement that they or someone know about the

    problem. (who wrote and maintains the xtra anyway? Is it MM or Real?)

    Besides, if I create an application in whatever version of Director and

    RealPlayer and two years later Real or MM decides not to continue to make

    RealPlayer conpatible with it, that's a good reason not to use RealPlayer.

    What you might want to ask instead is if

    don't

    That's a good question too, and I can answer that myself by testing with MX

    2004, but right now I'm releasing my product developed in Director 8.5.1.

    "Doug Golenski" <com> wrote in message
    if
    don't [/ref][/ref]
    allow [/ref][/ref]