Professional Web Applications Themes

Rebuild Desktop OSX, Yes Indeedy - Mac Applications & Software

There are operating systems and there are file systems, they are different animals. The days are limited when it comes to being able to use OS9 on our computers, so a prudent Mac user tries to get everything to work without the assistance of an OS9 partition. It was easy to rebuild-the-desktop in OS9 days. It is much more difficult to rebuild, using OSX exclusively. So why would we even want to rebuild the desktop, in these modern days when OSX supposedly is 'magic', and automagically takes care of such things, or so we are led to believe by some ...

  1. #1

    Default Rebuild Desktop OSX, Yes Indeedy

    There are operating systems and there are file systems, they are
    different animals.

    The days are limited when it comes to being able to use OS9 on our
    computers, so a prudent Mac user tries to get everything to work
    without the assistance of an OS9 partition.

    It was easy to rebuild-the-desktop in OS9 days.

    It is much more difficult to rebuild, using OSX exclusively.

    So why would we even want to rebuild the desktop, in these modern days
    when OSX supposedly is 'magic', and automagically takes care of such
    things, or so we are led to believe by some out there.

    Well, many reasons are detailed in pages 787-796 of the book "Sad Macs,
    Bombs, and Other Disasters", 4th edition.

    Oh, I know what you are thinking, that old edition does not even
    mention OSX, but we still use the HFS+ (file system) that the book
    refers to, don't we.

    ....so what that book says about the two "desktop files" in the file
    system is still relevant today, except for the comments that inform us
    _how_ to rebuild/replace the desktop files "Desktop DB" and "Desktop
    DF".

    OSX, far from "managing" the two desktop files, relies on them being in
    good shape. If they become corrupted, OSX could be in big trouble.

    Fortunately, the two desktop files can be completely replaced, without
    disturbing Apple's new operating system. (OSX)

    I did it, however it is not nearly as easy as it was with OS9, in fact
    it is downright difficult and hazardous.

    A lot of the things that worked with OS9 do not work with OSX.

    Certainly gives me a warm and cozy feeling though, knowing that my two
    desktop files are in good working order. One less thing to go wrong.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rebuild Desktop OSX, Yes Indeedy

    In article <220820031948404136%com>,
    Mark Conrad <com> wrote:

    Um, the OSX finder doesn't even use these files. So why should it be
    able to rebuild them?
    --
    Kevin Michael Vail | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
    net | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no loose ends.

  3. #3

    In article <his.com>,
    Kevin Michael Vail <net> wrote:

    > Um, the OSX finder doesn't even use these files. So why should it be
    > able to rebuild them?[/ref]

    And if you want to rebuild the Classic desktop database, just click the
    button on the Advanced panel of the Classic system preference.

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF
    Tom Guest

  4. #4

    Vail <net> wrote:

    > Um, the OSX finder doesn't even use these files. So why should it be
    > able to rebuild them?[/ref]

    Yeow! - and here I thought I was doing all sorts of good.

    So those two files are just loose baggage, as far as OSX is concerned?

    Hmm, think I will deliberately corrupt those two files, to see if it
    has any effect on the running of OSX - - - it shouldn't, if they are
    not used.

    Thanks for the info'

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  5. #5

    In article <his.com>, Kevin Michael
    Vail <net> wrote:

    Okay, I am convinced.

    In my OSX partition, I deliberately corrupted both desktop files by
    clearing their sectors, then for good measure I moved both desktop
    files into the trash. ("Desktop DB" and "Desktop DF")

    Everything worked normally with OSX, no generic icons, etc.

    I don't use Classic at all so that was not a problem either.

    Afterwards, I restored my OSX partition with a dd backup, just in case
    I messed up something with my fun and games.

    Thanks again for all that good info' about the desktop files.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  6. #6

    In <220820031948404136%com> Mark Conrad wrote:

    That's because they have nothing whatever to do with Apple's new
    operating system. This is like saying you deleted textfile and it didn't
    hurt anything. Of course it didn't hurt anything; it was just a file.

    Mac OS X *does* have a database associating files with doent types,
    and things *can* go wrong with this, and you *do* sometimes need to
    rebuild it, but that has nothing to do with Desktop DB and Desktop DF. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  7. #7

    In article <la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    <com> wrote:

    And how do you rebuild the OSX database?

    --
    ///---
    Gerry Guest

  8. #8

    In article <230820030942100080%net.invalid>, Gerry
    Scott-Moore <net.invalid> wrote:

    > And how do you rebuild the OSX database?[/ref]

    Gerry, I initiated a thread in comp.sys.mac.system that asks that
    specific question. Perhaps we can learn the answer there.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest