Professional Web Applications Themes

Rebuilding a logo - Macromedia Fireworks

Hi, All, The link attached contains a logo I would like to rebuild for the web. When I try to use the line tool or pen tool to copy over this (original in one layer - set to 50% transparency - new lines in another), the slanted lines are very jagged, not smooth - how can I create a good-looking logo using the old as a guide? Thanks! btw, how do I join this forum with Outlook Express, as I do with the DW forum? thanks. John Referring URLs [url]http://www.bucknersteel.com/logo.htm[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Rebuilding a logo

    catxnc webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rebuilding a logo

    "catxnc" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > Hi, All,
    >
    > The link attached contains a logo I would like to rebuild for the web. When I try to use the line tool or pen tool to copy over this (original in one layer - set to 50% transparency - new lines in another), the slanted lines are very jagged, not smooth - how can I create a good-looking logo using the old as a guide?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > btw, how do I join this forum with Outlook Express, as I do with the DW forum? thanks.
    >
    > John
    >

    > Referring URLs
    > [url]http://www.bucknersteel.com/logo.htm[/url]

    John,

    To access the NNTP newgroups, click on this (you might need to have OE
    open):

    [url]news://forums.macromedia.com[/url]

    Then subscribe to any MM newsgroups that you want.

    JT

    John T Guest

  3. #3

    thanks, John - i can now use oe! now... if I can just hear from someone
    about rebuilding that logo...
    :)

    "John T" <j.tuckerREMOVEcomcast.net> wrote in message
    > "catxnc" [email]webforumsusermacromedia.com[/email] wrote:
    > > Hi, All,
    > >
    > > The link attached contains a logo I would like to rebuild for the web.
    When I try to use the line tool or pen tool to copy over this (original in
    one layer - set to 50% transparency - new lines in another), the slanted
    lines are very jagged, not smooth - how can I create a good-looking logo
    using the old as a guide?

    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > btw, how do I join this forum with Outlook Express, as I do with the DW
    forum? thanks.

    > > John
    > >

    > > Referring URLs
    > > [url]http://www.bucknersteel.com/logo.htm[/url]
    > >

    > John,
    >
    > To access the NNTP newgroups, click on this (you might need to have OE
    > open):
    >
    > [url]news://forums.macromedia.com[/url]
    >
    > Then subscribe to any MM newsgroups that you want.
    >
    > JT

    John Hill Guest

  4. #4

    when recreating a logo I usually go ahead and recreate it 150dpi or
    higher. I also resize the original I'm working from to much larger than I
    would normally have it.

    Rich is on the dot when it comes to resizing and working with it. I usually
    make a large resolution version for use in print anyway. When it's resized
    smaller (as a bitmap/jpg img) the results are usually pretty nice.

    everyone does it differently I'd recommend experimenting a bit with it to
    see what will work best for you.

    I don't like the anti-aliasing in FW, at smaller font and image sizes it
    always seems fuzzy to me. (hence the resizing from something large)

    hth

    "Richiebee" <richrichiebee.ca> wrote in message
    > Anti-aliasing should help to remove the jaggies... here's my best quick
    > attempt - [url]www.richiebee.ca/public/logo.png[/url]
    >
    > Unfortunately, the original is of very poor quality, and I think you'd
    have
    > trouble doing it with any kind of precision.
    >
    > If you need it much smaller than it currently is, I'd be inclined to
    export
    > at a reduced size by going through the Export Preview and setting a
    smaller
    > size. Either that, or convert to a bitmap and resize that. Both can give
    an
    > illusion of using dimensions of less than a pixel better than vectors can.
    > If you do convert to a bitmap to export, don't overwrite your original
    > vector version... never know when you might want a bigger version...
    >

    > Rich
    >
    > --
    > Richie Bee
    > [url]www.richiebee.ca[/url]
    > Team Macromedia Volunteer for Fireworks
    > [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    > Sharing Fireworks Resources
    > [url]www.richiebee.ca/public[/url]
    > -iii<O
    >
    > "catxnc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, All,
    > >
    > > The link attached contains a logo I would like to rebuild for the web.
    > When I try to use the line tool or pen tool to copy over this (original in
    > one layer - set to 50% transparency - new lines in another), the slanted
    > lines are very jagged, not smooth - how can I create a good-looking logo
    > using the old as a guide?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > btw, how do I join this forum with Outlook Express, as I do with the DW
    > forum? thanks.
    > >
    > > John
    > >

    > > Referring URLs
    > > [url]http://www.bucknersteel.com/logo.htm[/url]

    jason Guest

  5. #5

    Anti-aliasing should help to remove the jaggies... here's my best quick
    attempt - [url]www.richiebee.ca/public/logo.png[/url]

    Unfortunately, the original is of very poor quality, and I think you'd have
    trouble doing it with any kind of precision.

    If you need it much smaller than it currently is, I'd be inclined to export
    at a reduced size by going through the Export Preview and setting a smaller
    size. Either that, or convert to a bitmap and resize that. Both can give an
    illusion of using dimensions of less than a pixel better than vectors can.
    If you do convert to a bitmap to export, don't overwrite your original
    vector version... never know when you might want a bigger version...

    Rich

    --
    Richie Bee
    [url]www.richiebee.ca[/url]
    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Fireworks
    [url]www.macromedia.com/go/team[/url]
    Sharing Fireworks Resources
    [url]www.richiebee.ca/public[/url]
    -iii<O

    "catxnc" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, All,
    >
    > The link attached contains a logo I would like to rebuild for the web.
    When I try to use the line tool or pen tool to copy over this (original in
    one layer - set to 50% transparency - new lines in another), the slanted
    lines are very jagged, not smooth - how can I create a good-looking logo
    using the old as a guide?

    > Thanks!
    >
    > btw, how do I join this forum with Outlook Express, as I do with the DW
    forum? thanks.

    > John
    >

    > Referring URLs
    > [url]http://www.bucknersteel.com/logo.htm[/url]

    Richiebee Guest

  6. #6

    "Richiebee" <richrichiebee.ca> wrote in message
    > Anti-aliasing should help to remove the jaggies... here's my best quick
    > attempt - [url]www.richiebee.ca/public/logo.png[/url]
    Sorry, I should have explained... in this context, I mean using a stroke
    with a soft edge (such as Basic Soft Rounded) to anti-alias...

    R.

    Richiebee Guest

  7. #7

    John Hill wrote:
    > thanks, John - i can now use oe! now... if I can just hear from someone
    > about rebuilding that logo...
    > :)

    You're welcome! :-)

    John

    John T Guest

  8. #8

    gee, Rich - that looks great! just what i was looking for - now, if i can
    repeat...

  9. #9

    THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED! :)

    JOHN

    > "Richiebee" <richrichiebee.ca> wrote in message
    > > Anti-aliasing should help to remove the jaggies... here's my best quick
    > > attempt - [url]www.richiebee.ca/public/logo.png[/url]
    >
    > Sorry, I should have explained... in this context, I mean using a stroke
    > with a soft edge (such as Basic Soft Rounded) to anti-alias...
    >
    > R.

    John Hill Guest