Professional Web Applications Themes

Receiving FAXes in Panther - Mac Networking

I have only one phone number (and don't want to get a second one). Obviously, I can't turn on automatic receive because it would answer the phone instead of the answering machine doing so, and most phone calls I get are voice calls. (Of course, if I set the number of rings to answer to a sufficiently large number, the answering machine will respond first, so I won't get any FAXes.) I understand that there is something called a "distinctive ring" that will let FAX machines answer FAX calls (it, if I understand correctly, uses a separate phone number on ...

  1. #1

    Default Receiving FAXes in Panther

    I have only one phone number (and don't want to get a second one).
    Obviously, I can't turn on automatic receive because it would answer the
    phone instead of the answering machine doing so, and most phone calls I
    get are voice calls. (Of course, if I set the number of rings to answer
    to a sufficiently large number, the answering machine will respond
    first, so I won't get any FAXes.)

    I understand that there is something called a "distinctive ring" that
    will let FAX machines answer FAX calls (it, if I understand correctly,
    uses a separate phone number on the same phone line, and costs less than
    a true second phone number).

    Does Panther's FAX software support this "distinctive ring"? I suspect
    not, because I couldn't find "distinctive ring" in any help doents.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Receiving FAXes in Panther

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    Not that Iknow of such an app. but: What about answering-machine SW that
    could recognize a fax machine's "I'm here" signal and activate
    auto-receive faxes? If it didn't get such a signal, having 'picked up',
    it would generate a few more ring tones down the line (to keep the
    caller busy) and through the computer speakers (so you could get to the
    phone and take over) and after the spec'd number of rings w/o voices,
    deliver your message and take theirs. Just a thought, sorry for the
    interruption.
    TakeoutGarbage&Trash Guest

  3. #3

    On 2/13/04 2:59 AM, in article
    west.cox.net, "Michelle Steiner"
    <org> wrote:

    On my Windows machine, I had software that would both act as answering
    machine and take faxes if it was set to auto-receive. While it might be
    inconvenient to have to get your messages off the computer, it might be a
    solution if you don't find the distinctive ring program. My software was
    called Ring Central but I am sure there are many out there like it.
    Barb

    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    In article <BC5FB0C0.8099%net>,
    Barbara J <net> wrote:

    I receive FAXes too infrequently to bother with that.

    -- Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  5. #5

    Barbara J <net> wrote:

    > On my Windows machine, I had software that would both act as answering
    > machine and take faxes if it was set to auto-receive. While it might be
    > inconvenient to have to get your messages off the computer, it might be a
    > solution if you don't find the distinctive ring program. My software was
    > called Ring Central but I am sure there are many out there like it.
    > Barb
    >[/ref]

    BINGO!! Exactly what the Doctor ordered! I use call-answer and never
    rememberto check for messages. But I'm at the 'puter daily, and can
    script and reminder myself that there's checking to be done. And Bonus!
    I can receive faxes now and then.

    Trouble is: I've been unable for find such a software puppy for the Mac.
    Any suggestions anyone?
    TakeoutGarbage&Trash Guest

  6. #6

    You could buy a modem that detects a different ring tone.

    Dale

    --
    o.matic.bigpond.net.au
    Dale Guest