Professional Web Applications Themes

recent items list in OS X - Mac Programming

Can anyone describe the relationship between the "recent items" Apple Menu item and the com.apple.recentitems.plist? I figure there's one copy in RAM and another on disk. By opening apps or doents, or by selecting the "Clear menu" command, I change only the one in RAM. Calls to 'defaults' affect only the one on disk. That is, changes to the file don't affect what appears on the menu, and changes to the menu don't immediately appear in the file. The system seems to write the RAM version to disk only when you log out. Is there a way to flush the ...

  1. #1

    Default recent items list in OS X

    Can anyone describe the relationship between the "recent items" Apple
    Menu item and the com.apple.recentitems.plist?

    I figure there's one copy in RAM and another on disk.

    By opening apps or doents, or by selecting the "Clear menu" command,
    I change only the one in RAM. Calls to 'defaults' affect only the one
    on disk.

    That is, changes to the file don't affect what appears on the menu, and
    changes to the menu don't immediately appear in the file. The system
    seems to write the RAM version to disk only when you log out.

    Is there a way to flush the contents one way or the other
    programmatically? Or from the shell with the defaults command? It
    looks to me like you're not to expect 'defaults' to work on running
    applications. Like the Finder.

    I even tried calling CFPreferencesAppSynchronize and
    CFPreferencesSynchronize for com.apple.recentitems from a little Cocoa
    app. No effect.

    --Shawn
    Shawn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: recent items list in OS X

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Shawn O'Donnell <com> wrote:

    From a Mac user point of view, this is to be expected : applications
    read their prefs file once when they startup. BTW, the "Recent Items" is
    not controlled by the Finder (it still works even if you quit the
    Finder).

    I don't know if you can clear it programatically. The first thing to do
    would is to find out what process manages this menu...

    Patrick
    --
    Patrick Stadelmann <ch>
    Patrick Guest

  3. #3

    In article <giganews.com>,
    Shawn O'Donnell <com> wrote:

    Technically speaking, your idea about using the 'defaults'
    command is correct and the system should always be consulting
    the defaults system before populating that menu.

    System MacOS 10.2 does not constantly reload the defaults for
    this setting since it thinks that it's the only thing that is
    going to make changes for the 'Recent Items' menu and doesn't
    expect it to be changed behind its back.

    Simon Guest

  4. #4

    In article <0.1.3>,
    demon.co.uklocalhost (Simon Slavin) wrote:

    Thanks Simon, Patrick.

    So I guess it's a tough call to decide between saying

    (a) defaults is broken, at least with respect to Recent Items, or

    (b) Recent Items is broken, at least with respect to defaults.

    I'm leaning towards (b), assuming that my interpretation of how the
    CFPreferences API is in the neighborhood.

    One way or the other, maybe we could add that it would be nice if
    defaults gave some indication that it had no intention of behaving as
    expected.

    --Shawn
    Shawn Guest