Professional Web Applications Themes

Recognising key presses + turning off mouse cursor? - Macromedia Director Basics

I would like to control the cursor using the arrow keys on the keyboard and not the mouse. Can someone tell me how to do this? Also how do I hide the mouse cursor / turn it off? I have put the following script into frame 1: on startMovie cursor 200 end But that did not get rid of it. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Recognising key presses + turning off mouse cursor?

    Editz webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    If you want to remove the cursor, I'm guessing that you want to replace
    it with something else. Are you planning on using a custom cursor
    and/or the cursor Xtra to display that custom cursor?

    Cursor 200 will turn off the cursor for the movie, but, since the
    cursor belongs to the system and not the application, there are
    cirstances where the system will insist on restoring the cursor.

    There are a number of sections in the online manual that deal with
    cursors. Remember, other than the movie's cursor object, there is also
    a cursor property available to every sprite on the stage.

    To control the movement of an object on the stage using keys you will
    have to create a key event function and then interpret the keystrokes.
    Look at the section in the online help about working with the keyboard.

    There are also a number of tech notes that will be helpful to you.
    These are located at Macromedia's web site.

    --
    Rob
    _______

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/software/trial/[/url]
    Rob Dillon Guest

  3. #3

    The pink square is the cursor I would like to use.

    [url]http://www.schoolyardrules.com/director/cursor.htm[/url]

    I want it transparent apart from the outline.

    Also I want it to be moved with the arrow keys but that is another story.

  4. #4

    Hello

    I would like to control the cursor using the arrow keys on the keyboard and
    not the mouse and also use the space bar instead of mouse down

    Can someone tell me how to do this?

    I would like to use a custom cursor which is working ok but the normal
    cursor is being displayed too.
    How do I hide the mouse cursor / turn it off ?

    [url]http://www.schoolyardrules.com/director/cursor.htm[/url]

    I have put the following script into frame 1:

    on startMovie
    cursor 200
    end

    But that did not get rid of it.

    Thanks.

    Joe Guest

  6. #6

    From what I see in your example, you have that rectangle following the
    cursor's location. It is centered because the registration point for
    the rectangle's member is at it's center. This tells me that you are
    using a bitmap image for that rectangle.

    The cursor is changing from an arrow to a finger cursor as the cursor
    rolls over each of the underlying rectangles. There must be a behavior
    attached to each of those rectangles and it is setting the cursor of
    sprite property to the finger and again to the arrow on the mouseEnter
    and mouseLeave events. If you look in the behavior I'm sure that you
    will see the code. There is most likely a line setting the cursor of
    sprite property in the beginSprite function and again in the endSprite
    function.

    Does that help?

    --
    Rob
    _______

  7. #7

    > From what I see in your example, you have that rectangle following the
    > cursor's location. It is centered because the registration point for
    > the rectangle's member is at it's center. This tells me that you are
    > using a bitmap image for that rectangle.
    I made the rectangle in Director - would that mean its a bitmap?
    > The cursor is changing from an arrow to a finger cursor as the cursor
    > rolls over each of the underlying rectangles. There must be a behavior
    > attached to each of those rectangles and it is setting the cursor of
    > sprite property to the finger and again to the arrow on the mouseEnter
    > and mouseLeave events. If you look in the behavior I'm sure that you
    > will see the code. There is most likely a line setting the cursor of
    > sprite property in the beginSprite function and again in the endSprite
    > function.
    Yes - I did add a behaviour to change the cursor using the mouseEnter
    mouseLeave, which I shouldnt have done as I don't want it anymore.

    I have removed it but the arrow cursor is still there - any ideas hwo to get
    rid of it?

    Thanks - joe

    Joe Guest