Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommend a Printer for FreeBSD - FreeBSD

My printer is dead. Can anybody recommend a good printer for FreeBSD: - Lazer (black/white) - Some colored printer...

  1. #1

    Default Recommend a Printer for FreeBSD

    My printer is dead. Can anybody recommend a good printer for FreeBSD:
    - Lazer (black/white)
    - Some colored printer

    Sergei Guest

  2. #2

    Default RE: Recommend a Printer for FreeBSD

    What I use:

    Laser:

    HP Laserjet 4+. Incredibly cheap on the used market, Postscript simms
    for these are also cheap, take off the shelf ram, toner cartridges are
    also incredibly cheap off Ebay, or even from the local Office Depot which
    sells refurb ones. The things are workhorses and last forever, they only
    need an input roller replacement at 10,000 copies or so, which costs
    about
    $100 for a decent printer repair shop, and very few on the used market
    ever went this high on the page count. The print server cards that go in
    them speak LPR directly to your UNIX boxes. They speak to every Mac
    ever made if you like Apples, including the lastest OSX. They have a
    front
    panel that is configurable with your fingers you don't need to run some
    damn Windows
    program that speaks to the printer. Inputs include a parallel and a
    serial
    port in addition to the network port if you get the network card.
    The 4+ will take a duplexer, and an envelop feeder, and a high capacity
    paper tray. What more could you possibly want in a laser?

    Some colored printer:

    Epson Stylus C8x series (C84, C82, etc.) Use gimp-print and ghostscript
    to print. Can get full resolution to the printer. Has a parallel port.
    The C82 and C84 understand ASCII directly in addition to their epson
    language
    that you use to print color with. Cheap. Uses separate ink resivors so
    when ONE color runs out you just buy a new one of that, you don't have to
    chuck out the entire thing. Ink (once it dries) is impervious to water.
    Can obtain ink levels from a program with gimp-print so you don't have to
    run Windows for that either.

    Ted

    Ted Guest

  3. #3

    Yes, just to confirm that I have a C84 and I am very happy with it.
    Works fine on FreeBSD 5.3.

    Ramiro.

    Ramiro Guest

  4. #4

    On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 01:04, Sergei Gnezdov wrote:

    Look at www.linuxprinting.org. Anything that is claimed to work
    perfectly will probably work well with FreeBSD - go for ones with
    commonly-used drivers. In general, HP and Epson printers usually work;
    Canon and Lexmark are more problematic.

    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    > On Thu, 2005-03-10 at 01:04, Sergei Gnezdov wrote: [/ref]

    I am not able to work whith "all in one" : HP1210 or lexmark x75.

    --
    (°> Dhénin Jean-Jacques
    / ) fr

  6. #6

    On Mar 10, 2005, at 4:00 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

    Am thinking we dropped a couple of orders of magnitude. 10k copies
    should be two toner cartridges. And while I agree there are probably a
    lot on the market with less than 10k pages I can hardly ever remember
    using a printer at work with less than 100k. 300k was common.

    I do agree, a printer with ethernet and built-in Postscript will result
    in the best output and easiest support. Current employer has a Canon
    imageRunner 330 all in one fax, copier printer, beast. Only speaks
    PCL5e because they are a Windows shop and don't understand the notion
    of "accurate output." Tell it to print duplex from Windows XP with a
    0.500" gutter margin to punch holes in and it will dutifully put the
    margin on the left on both sides. Prints the backside shifted into the
    holes.

    Am exploring CUPS on the FreeBSD machine I brought from home. Looking
    to use it as a Postscript RIP to see if I can get better copy out of
    the Canon. Its not important enough to spend more than a few spare
    moments here and there as I am NOT I.T.

    --
    David Kelly N4HHE, net

    David Guest

  7. #7

    > My printer is dead. Can anybody recommend a good printer for FreeBSD:

    I have recently bought a HP Color LaserJet 2550L, which could work for
    both your needs. It prints fast in B/W, and not-so-fast in colour, but
    both in great quality.

    I have used it with DOS, FreeBSD, OS/2, MacOS9 and MacOSX so far. It
    supports both PostScript and PCL.

    Best regards,

    Mikkel C. Simonsen

    Mikkel Guest

  8. #8

    > Am thinking we dropped a couple of orders of magnitude. 10k copies[/ref]

    Oops your right. Add an extra zero. 100K is when the rollers start to
    wear, although my Dads went 160k before needing the input rollers redone.

    Ted

    Ted Guest