Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommend Web development package for Mac - Mac Applications & Software

Greetings, I recently "switched" to a Mac from the PC world. Everything has worked flawlessly with one exception. I do some occassional web site creation for friends and local nonprofit agencies. On the pc I used NetObjects Fusion, which I found to be a nice, reliable way to build decent sites that do not require much in the way of programming. Unfortunately there is no Mac version of this program, so I am looking for a replacement. Can anyone suggest a Mac web creation system I might use? I should point out that I do not do much programming, e.g., ...

  1. #1

    Default Recommend Web development package for Mac

    Greetings,

    I recently "switched" to a Mac from the PC world. Everything has worked
    flawlessly with one exception. I do some occassional web site creation
    for friends and local nonprofit agencies. On the pc I used NetObjects
    Fusion, which I found to be a nice, reliable way to build decent sites
    that do not require much in the way of programming. Unfortunately there
    is no Mac version of this program, so I am looking for a replacement.

    Can anyone suggest a Mac web creation system I might use? I should point
    out that I do not do much programming, e.g., CSS, etc. I try to stick to
    pretty generic html. What I do like, however, is lots of control over
    the placement of objects on the page (Fusion is good at this). From my
    own research I am leaning towards Dreamweaver, but I would really
    appreciate hearing other people's experiences.

    Thanks,

    Mark
    marcus646@hotmail.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommend Web development package for Mac

    In article <comcast.net>,
    com wrote:

    Dreamweaver's the one to go with, if it's in your budget. There are
    less-expensive options with correspondingly fewer features.

    Adobe GoLive is another popular option. I haven't tried it.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <tph-7B5653.14305704092003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > Dreamweaver's the one to go with, if it's in your budget. There are
    > less-expensive options with correspondingly fewer features.
    >
    > Adobe GoLive is another popular option. I haven't tried it.[/ref]

    Real men use BBEdit!

    --
    Enough <com>
    Enough Guest

  4. #4

    In article <NON5b.5015$tampabay.rr.com>,
    Enough <com> wrote:

    *Real* men use Zap under RISC OS - but as that's not Mac OS, I'll "get me
    coat" :-)

    --
    pv __\\|//__ Life.
    (` o-o ') the Universe

    Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities - Voltaire
    Paul Guest

  5. #5

    In article <comcast.net>,
    com wrote:

    [...]

    Strictly speaking neither HTML nor CSS are programming languages. HTML
    is just a descriptive language. With it, you say things like "here
    starts a new paragraph" or "this phrase emphpasized" or "this next bit
    is tabular data". CSS allows you to provide presentational suggestions
    to Web browsers (which are free to ignore that same CSS).

    There is no such thing as *control* over placement and other such
    presentational issues on the Web. Lots of vendors will want to make you
    believe that there is, but that doesn't make it so.

    I would suggest you look at something like BBEdit or PageSpinner. Both
    are textual HTML editors with nice extras like syntax colouring and more.

    If however you prefer to believe that control exists in the WWW context,
    then you might like something like Dreamweaver, GoLive or Freeway (none
    of which produce valid HTML AFAIK).

    --
    Free and shareware at <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/software/>
    Sander Guest

  6. #6

    In article <euro.net>,
    Sander Tekelenburg <invalid> wrote:
     [/ref]

    There is a web page editor/creator called "Composer" built right into
    the Netscape Communicator browser. Not fancy but a reasonable set of
    basic capabilities, not too hard to use, interfaces well with the
    browser part. It's somewhat MS-Word-like in its user interface, that
    is, if you've used Word Styles and formatting commands, this will look
    fairly familiar.

    (Has this feature been carried over to the Mozilla family of browsers?
    I'm still stuck at OS 9.2 and Communicator 4.77 and haven't explored
    beyond that.)
    AES/newspost Guest

  7. #7

    In article <stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <edu> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > There is a web page editor/creator called "Composer" built right into
    > the Netscape Communicator browser. Not fancy but a reasonable set of
    > basic capabilities, not too hard to use, interfaces well with the
    > browser part. It's somewhat MS-Word-like in its user interface, that
    > is, if you've used Word Styles and formatting commands, this will look
    > fairly familiar.
    >
    > (Has this feature been carried over to the Mozilla family of browsers?
    > I'm still stuck at OS 9.2 and Communicator 4.77 and haven't explored
    > beyond that.)[/ref]
    It is still in 7.1, I use it occasionally, does anybody know how to get
    it to show up in the contextual menu in the "open with" list?
    Frank Guest