Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommendations ? - Adobe Acrobat SDK

I am looking for a good - third party utility to convert PDFs to TIFF files - Is there a recommendation from Adobe regarding this ????...

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations ?

    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommendations ?

    Adobe would recommend it's own products and technology...

    What is wrong with Adobe Acrobat (on the desktop) or Adobe LiveCycle on the server?
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    I guess that I was under the impression that the conversion to a TIFF from a PDF file was not directly available from Adobe -
    If it is - then I am pleased.
    Although I havent been able to locate the means to do this - in the SDK -
    this is why i thought it had to be a third party option .

    may I ask - which command is available to convert a PDF to a TIFF?
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    It is not supported by Reader - only from Acrobat and LiveCycle.

    If you wish to develop a solution that does not require either of those products installed on the user's computer, then you'll want to look at Adobe's PDFLibrary for your PDF needs.
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    I see - I prefer to stay with the Adobe Standard (Reader /or Acrobat ) environment.

    Is there an example of how this can be done in a plugin ?
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    I have looked at the PDF API doentation and - either I am missing something - or it is not altogether that well doented -
    I found this command -AVConversionConvertStreamFromPDFWithHandler ()

    but I couldn't find anything very usefukl on the
    arguments - for specifying which format handler , etc . to use -
    to convert to TIFF format.

    The syntax is specified as :

    AVConversionStatus AVConversionConvertFromPDFWithHandler(AVConversion FromPDFHandler inHandler, ASCab inSettings, AVConversionFlags flags, PDDoc inPDDoc, ASPathName outPath, ASFileSys outFileSys, AVStatusMonitorProcs statusMonitor)
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I found this in the Developing plug-ins and Applications Doent (Very Helpful )
    I missed this info the first time . I can take it from here - just needed to find this bit of information , etc

    File format conversion handlers
    A plug-in can add file conversion handlers to Acrobat (but not Adobe Reader) for performing the following file conversion operations:
    ●To import a PDF doent from another file format.
    ●To export a PDF doent to another file format.
    To add a new file conversion handler, you provide a set of callback functions, specify them in the AVConversionToPDFHandler or AVConversionFromPDFHandler structures, and invoke the AVAppRegisterToPDFHandler or AVAppRegisterFromPDFHandler methods to register them.
    Specify the file types that the plug-in can convert and whether it can perform synchronous conversion (required for the handler to be accessible from the batch framework). Upon registration, the conversion handlers are automatically added to the respective Open and Save As dialog boxes.
    Adobe Acrobat SDK Creating Handlers
    Developing Plug-ins and Applications File specification handlers 146
    By using a file format conversion handler, you can perform the following tasks:
    ●Provide default settings for the conversion by using the AVConversionDefaultSettingsProc callback method.
    ●Provide conversion parameter information by using the AVConversionParamDescProc callback method.
    ●Display a settings dialog box by using the AVConversionSettingsDialogProc callback method.
    ●Convert a non-PDF file to or from a PDF file by invoking either the AVConversionConvertToPDFProc or AVConversionConvertFromPDFProc callback methods.
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    This doentation is nice tohelp me understand the undelying archictecture and calling structure - But I still can't find the required detail - in the actual arguments -
    specifically what i am missing is - the actual argument value to specify TIFF as the output - type -
    I have found some vague references to MAc OS file output types, etc - even UNIX file specifiers - for he UNIX OS - but nothing so far,
    regarding the TIFF format

    Any help here would be appreciated .
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    There are some samples in the SDK Snippets that show how to convert PDF->TIFF (and various other formats).
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Very Cool -

    Thanks Leonard ;
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I have been able to create a tiff - from a multi-page PDF - but - I am generating - a separate TIFF for each page - is there some detailed doentation available for the output behavior - apparently this is the default condition - but i don't know how to specify anything but the default - behavior - at this point.
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    You define the options in an ASCab that you pass in to AVConversion...
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    I see that the ASCab objects / methods - are intended to allow interactions with opaque data objects / and opaque methods , etc. - What I seem to be missing is the actual settings - that i would need to use to indicate to the conversion routine - the type of output to generate.
    It seems that this is not doented in a way that i can find it,
    and it is not altogether intuitively obvious , regarding how to control the output of the conversion to TIFF .

    Specifically what i am trying to do is control the output so tha i end up with one TIFF file - that includes multiple logical pages - - just like the PDF.
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    There is a header file that lists all the values/keys you can use with the cabs each conversion
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Ahhh
    Internal doentation ...

    Thank you , My man Leonard :)
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Would you be referring to the values stored in the AVCmdDefs.h file ?

    such as these :
    kAVPosRelativeToFirst = 1,
    kAVPosRelativeToLast,
    kAVPosRelativeToPage

    There are a few others that might have some really cool effects -
    I will experiment - since these are suspected references by implication - and not by specification
    michael_eisenman@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    That sounds like the correct header indeed...
    Leonard_Rosenthol@adobeforums.com Guest