Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommendations for quick learning - Windows Server

Can someone recommend some resources for the "quickest possible" ramp-up learning of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Books, seminars, classes - all suggestions welcome. The most important criterion is lots of learning in a short period of time. Prefereably with the least amount of effort! :-) I don't need to be a guru (not yet, anyway); I just need to know how to do some basic things regarding local and remote sharing, security, and some other essentials. I have a good computer background, programming various languages and platforms for 20 years, but relatively little network admin experience. Thanks! -- Reply to ...

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for quick learning

    --
    Reply to group or to (remove spaces and make other obvious corrections):
    p p m b 2 0 0 4 - 2 0 0 4

    Paul Pedersen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recommendations for quick learning

    _Masterng Windows Server 2003_ - Mark Minasi. (Most of the content is
    applicable to 2000, too.)

    It's a BIG BIG BOOK, but I still found it to be a pretty quick read.

    --
    ******************************
    Laura E. Hunter - MCSE, MCT, MVP

    "Paul Pedersen" <no-replyswen.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone recommend some resources for the "quickest possible" ramp-up
    > learning of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Books, seminars, classes - all
    > suggestions welcome. The most important criterion is lots of learning in a
    > short period of time. Prefereably with the least amount of effort! :-)
    >
    > I don't need to be a guru (not yet, anyway); I just need to know how to do
    > some basic things regarding local and remote sharing, security, and some
    > other essentials. I have a good computer background, programming various
    > languages and platforms for 20 years, but relatively little network admin
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > Reply to group or to (remove spaces and make other obvious corrections):
    > p p m b 2 0 0 4 - 2 0 0 4
    > at
    > y a h 00

    Laura E. Hunter \(MVP\) Guest

  3. #3

    Paul Pedersen wrote:
    > Can someone recommend some resources for the "quickest possible" ramp-up
    > learning of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Books, seminars, classes - all
    > suggestions welcome. The most important criterion is lots of learning in a
    > short period of time. Prefereably with the least amount of effort! :-)
    >
    > I don't need to be a guru (not yet, anyway); I just need to know how to do
    > some basic things regarding local and remote sharing, security, and some
    > other essentials. I have a good computer background, programming various
    > languages and platforms for 20 years, but relatively little network admin
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Look into taking Microsoft Official Curriculum course 2126: Managing a
    Microsoft Windows 2000 Network Environment (5 days). It's ideally suited
    for what you're talking about doing, and your current skill set.
    Ron Stewart Guest

  4. #4

    "Paul Pedersen" <no-replyswen.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone recommend some resources for the "quickest possible" ramp-up
    > learning of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Books, seminars, classes - all
    > suggestions welcome. The most important criterion is lots of learning in
    > short period of time. Prefereably with the least amount of effort! :-)
    >
    > I don't need to be a guru (not yet, anyway); I just need to know how to
    > do
    > some basic things regarding local and remote sharing, security, and some
    > other essentials. I have a good computer background, programming various
    > languages and platforms for 20 years, but relatively little network
    > admin
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Hello Paul,

    If you are looking how to operate specific tasks, I'd look into
    "Windows 2000 Server Operations"
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/maintain/operate/default.mspx[/url]

    If you want to learn the stuff, and perhaps go for a MCSA or MCSE, and
    you have prior skills but don't know what specific areas you need to
    look at, look at the skill assessment at Microsoft.com/learning - you
    are able to answer some questions and the tool tells you where to look
    for more resources in the areas your knowledge might need improvement.
    The tool suggests Trainings, books and free resources on the web.

    [url]http://go.microsoft.com/?LinkID=386968[/url]

    --
    Gruesse - Sincerely,

    Ulf B. Simon-Weidner
    Ulf B. Simon-Weidner [MVP] Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Recommendations for quick learning - thanks to all

    Thanks to all of you for the recommendations.

    "Paul Pedersen" <no-replyswen.com> wrote in message
    > Can someone recommend some resources for the "quickest possible" ramp-up
    > learning of Windows 2000 Advanced Server? Books, seminars, classes - all
    > suggestions welcome. The most important criterion is lots of learning in a
    > short period of time. Prefereably with the least amount of effort! :-)
    >
    > I don't need to be a guru (not yet, anyway); I just need to know how to do
    > some basic things regarding local and remote sharing, security, and some
    > other essentials. I have a good computer background, programming various
    > languages and platforms for 20 years, but relatively little network admin
    > experience.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >

    > --
    > Reply to group or to (remove spaces and make other obvious corrections):
    > p p m b 2 0 0 4 - 2 0 0 4
    > at
    > y a h 00

    Paul Pedersen Guest