Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommendations for upgrading PowerBook G3 to OS X? - Mac Applications & Software

I suspect this question has already been asked on this group numerous times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a quick update on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a minimal OS X installation. * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406 * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB) * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video or audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife likes to keep all her apps ...

  1. #1

    Default Recommendations for upgrading PowerBook G3 to OS X?

    I suspect this question has already been asked on this group numerous
    times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a quick update
    on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a minimal OS X
    installation.

    * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406

    * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)

    * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video or
    audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife likes
    to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the desktop)..

    What memory upgrade (if any) needed?

    Which level of OS X to go up to?

    Any special options to select, stuff to leave out?

    Thanks for any info.
    AES/newspost Guest

  2. #2

    In article <siegman-8188E8.20141129062003news.stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > I suspect this question has already been asked on this group numerous
    > times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a quick update
    > on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a minimal OS X
    > installation.
    >
    > * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    Is this a Pismo? (Firewire) If so see below, otherwise I do not know.

    > * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)
    >
    > * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    > modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video or
    > audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife likes
    > to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the desktop).
    >
    > What memory upgrade (if any) needed?
    Get 512 MB, it's cheap nowadays.

    > Which level of OS X to go up to?
    Any, ie take 10.2.6.

    > Any special options to select, stuff to leave out?
    Works like a charm on mine.

    Marc
    Marc Heusser Guest

  3. #3

    AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)
    > * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    > modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video or
    > audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife likes
    > to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the desktop)..
    > What memory upgrade (if any) needed?
    What's wrong with your Mac in its current configuration? Certainly,
    adding more RAM would be a cheap way to go as far as upgrading your
    Mac, but for what you want to do, its probably fine as it is.

    stan@temple.edu Guest

  4. #4

    In article
    <marc.heusserREMOVETHIS-834AF0.05282030062003news.bluewin.ch>,
    Marc Heusser <marc.heusserREMOVETHISbluewin.ch> wrote:
    > In article <siegman-8188E8.20141129062003news.stanford.edu>,
    > AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    >
    > > I suspect this question has already been asked on this group numerous
    > > times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a quick update
    > > on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a minimal OS X
    > > installation.
    > >
    > > * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    >
    > Is this a Pismo? (Firewire) If so see below, otherwise I do not know.
    Machine ID 406 is any Mac that's based on the New World architecture
    (i.e., any Power Mac G3 that is Blue and White or newer, any PowerBook
    G3 that is the Lombard or better, not sure about the iMac, all iBooks.
    Since it's a 400 MHz, assuming that it's a stock machine, it's either a
    high-end Lombard or a low-end Pismo. I'd agree with your suggestions.
    FWIW, OS X runs (although not very well) on my Lombard/333 MHz with 192
    MB of RAM.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR
    Idiot's Guide to Mac Cases - [url]http://www.ircandy.com/maccases/[/url]

  5. #5

    AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> writes:

    > I suspect this question has already been asked on this group
    > numerous times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a
    > quick update on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a
    > minimal OS X installation.
    >
    > * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    >
    > * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)
    >
    > * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    > modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video
    > or audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife
    > likes to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the
    > desktop)..
    >
    > What memory upgrade (if any) needed?
    >
    > Which level of OS X to go up to?
    Do you happen to know what model PowerBook G3 this is?

    All but the earliest model ("Hooper") can run OS X. Given that yours
    is 400MHz, this is either "Lombard" or "Pismo". If you have FireWire
    ports, then you have a Pismo, otherwise it's Lombard.

    The machine ID of 406 is meaningless. All Macs with the "new world"
    ROM report ID 406, which includes both Lombard and Pismo PowerBooks.

    According to MacTracker, the maximum RAM of a Lombard is 512M (384M
    according to Apple.) The maximum RAM of a Pismo is 1GB (512M
    according to Apple.)

    For what you want to do, I would recommend upgrading to a minimum of
    256M. If you'd like to add more, it wouldn't hurt, but it shouldn't
    be necessary either.

    WRT MacOS X, both Lombard and Pismo are OS X compatible. You should
    be able to install the latest version (10.2.6) on either one.

    You will not have Quartz Extreme (or any GUI features that use it)
    due to the ATI Rage video, and I think OS X is incompatible with
    built-in floppy drives, but I think it should be fully functional in
    all other respects.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <siegman-8188E8.20141129062003news.stanford.edu>,
    AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:

    >* PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    >* 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)
    >
    >* Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    >modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video or
    >audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife likes
    >to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the desktop)..
    That's exactly the sort of thing that I do on my 333MHz PowerBook G3.
    >What memory upgrade (if any) needed?
    I found OS X sluggish with 128MB, so I boosted it to 256MB a few
    months ago.
    >Which level of OS X to go up to?
    I'm running 10.2. Haven't bothered to grab any of the Jaguar updates
    because I bought a new Power Mac a few weeks ago and am not using the
    PowerBook much.

    I'd suggest installing OS X, and if you find it too slow for your tastes,
    add some more RAM. Otherwise, you should be in fine shape.

    Patty

    Patty Winter Guest

  7. #7

    Doug Brown <macg3pleasenospam.mac.com.invalid> wrote in message news:<macg3-0888D5.20362029062003news.bellatlantic.net>...
    > In article
    > <marc.heusserREMOVETHIS-834AF0.05282030062003news.bluewin.ch>,
    > Marc Heusser <marc.heusserREMOVETHISbluewin.ch> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <siegman-8188E8.20141129062003news.stanford.edu>,
    > > AES/newspost <siegmanstanford.edu> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I suspect this question has already been asked on this group numerous
    > > > times, but I'd still be grateful if someone can give me a quick update
    > > > on upgrading an older PowerBook G3 from OS 9.2 to a minimal OS X
    > > > installation.
    > > >
    > > > * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    > >
    > > Is this a Pismo? (Firewire) If so see below, otherwise I do not know.
    >
    > Machine ID 406 is any Mac that's based on the New World architecture
    > (i.e., any Power Mac G3 that is Blue and White or newer, any PowerBook
    > G3 that is the Lombard or better, not sure about the iMac, all iBooks.
    > Since it's a 400 MHz, assuming that it's a stock machine, it's either a
    > high-end Lombard or a low-end Pismo. I'd agree with your suggestions.
    > FWIW, OS X runs (although not very well) on my Lombard/333 MHz with 192
    > MB of RAM.
    What you have there is a lombard 400, I would suggest at least 256 Meg
    or RAM, You can now get 256 Meg DIMMs nice and cheep from crucial.
    Any version of OS X should run on it - I would wait until 10.3 comes
    out, it's got some speed enhancements which should make it a bit more
    usable on a Lombard - It's fine at the moment on mine, just as long as
    you like 3 fps animations :D. It is however perfectly functional.

    Bob
    Beelsebob Guest

  8. #8

    In <siegman-8188E8.20141129062003news.stanford.edu> AES/newspost wrote:
    > * PowerBook G3 400 MHz Machine ID 406
    >
    > * 128 MB RAM (2 X 64 MB)
    >
    > * Will be used mostly for email, Googling and web browsing, some
    > modest MS Word processing, and a few utilities -- no intensive video
    > or audio processing, speed of response not a big factor (but my wife
    > likes to keep all her apps and a lot of doents open on the desktop)..
    >
    > What memory upgrade (if any) needed?
    >
    > Which level of OS X to go up to?
    You've left out a very important piece of information - how big is your
    hard disk? Mac OS X is huge, and some machines shipped with hard disks
    that are not big enough for it.

    Apart from this, all you need is more RAM - all you can afford. Always
    use the latest version of Mac OS X; this is a no-brainer. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  9. #9

    matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> writes:
    > You've left out a very important piece of information - how big is your
    > hard disk? Mac OS X is huge, and some machines shipped with hard disks
    > that are not big enough for it.
    I don't know about that. I'm running 10.2.6 on my Wallstreet which
    has an 8GB disk, and I have 4GB free.

    Ian
    Ian Soboroff Guest

  10. #10

    In article <9cfsmpq6w1y.fsfrogue.ncsl.nist.gov>,
    Ian Soboroff <orgacm.isoboroff> wrote:
    > matt neuburg <matttidbits.com> writes:
    >
    > > You've left out a very important piece of information - how big is your
    > > hard disk? Mac OS X is huge, and some machines shipped with hard disks
    > > that are not big enough for it.
    >
    > I don't know about that. I'm running 10.2.6 on my Wallstreet which
    > has an 8GB disk, and I have 4GB free.
    I think that you should be able to install OS X, then. It takes up about
    a 2 Gig or so.

    |"If you cannot listen to the answers, why do you
    | inconvenience me with questions?"
    Orac Guest

  11. #11

    In article <m27k746rci.fsfqqqq.invalid>, David C. <shaminotechie.com> wrote:
    >According to MacTracker, the maximum RAM of a Lombard is 512M (384M
    >according to Apple.) The maximum RAM of a Pismo is 1GB (512M
    >according to Apple.)
    I have never seen a Pismo with over 640 (128+512).

    -s
    --
    Copyright 2003, all wrongs reversed. Peter Seebach / [email]seebsplethora.net[/email]
    [url]http://www.seebs.net/log/[/url] - YA blog. [url]http://www.seebs.net/[/url] - homepage.

  12. #12

    Seebs writes:
    > David C. wrote:
    >>
    >> According to MacTracker, the maximum RAM of a Lombard is 512M (384M
    >> according to Apple.) The maximum RAM of a Pismo is 1GB (512M
    >> according to Apple.)
    >
    > I have never seen a Pismo with over 640 (128+512).
    Maybe so, but several sources say that it can take 1GB.

    MacTracker ([url]http://www.mactracker.ca/[/url]) is one

    Crucial also says so - up to 512M in each of two memory slots using
    either PC-100 at CAS=2 or PC133 at CAS=3.

    Kingston also agrees with this.

    -- David
    David C. Guest

  13. #13

    In article <m2adbuxacc.fsfqqqq.invalid>, David C. <shaminotechie.com> wrote:
    >Maybe so, but several sources say that it can take 1GB.
    Neat!

    This implies that someone has started making low-profile 512MB chips for them,
    which I guess isn't entirely surprising, but which I'd never seen.

    -s

  14. #14

    In article <3f068244$0$96347$3c090ad1news.plethora.net>,
    [email]seebsplethora.net[/email] (Seebs) wrote:
    > In article <m2adbuxacc.fsfqqqq.invalid>, David C. <shaminotechie.com> wrote:
    > >Maybe so, but several sources say that it can take 1GB.
    >
    > Neat!
    >
    > This implies that someone has started making low-profile 512MB chips for them,
    > which I guess isn't entirely surprising, but which I'd never seen.
    I've lost track of which Powerbook this thread was discussing. If it
    was Lombard or Wallstreet, then low-profile would be needed. If it is
    Pismo, then that can take standard SO-DIMM (I've got one in the lower
    slot).

    Bob Harris
    Bob Harris Guest