Professional Web Applications Themes

Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hi all, After numerous hours attempting to get the Suse Personal Edition 8.2 OS to work in a normal manner, I am considering another Linux. I am familiar with the Oracle Certification matrix. Yet, I want to ask your experienced opinions. I want to install Linux on a 2.53 ghz processor, dual boot with XP. Then, install Oracle and RAC on top of that, using firewire. At home, for learning purposes. Later on, I want to install Oracle apps, and Oracle application server. On the same kernel. What is a good version of Linux to work with? Criteria: - comes ...

  1. #1

    Default Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias

    Hi all,

    After numerous hours attempting to get the Suse Personal Edition 8.2
    OS to work in a normal manner, I am considering another Linux.

    I am familiar with the Oracle Certification matrix.
    Yet, I want to ask your experienced opinions.

    I want to install Linux on a 2.53 ghz processor, dual boot with
    XP. Then, install Oracle and RAC on top of that, using firewire.
    At home, for learning purposes.

    Later on, I want to install Oracle apps, and Oracle application server.
    On the same kernel.

    What is a good version of Linux to work with?

    Criteria:

    - comes cheap on CDs (No support.)
    - underlying files are common to most Linux distributions.
    - OS works properly. ie. permanently set semaphores in minutes.
    - OS works with firewire
    - OS works with RAC
    - has large user community and lots of doentation on the web

    Will Redhat professional workstation work?
    How about Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 2.1 Standard ED. Only $210.
    How about Mandrake? Linux 9.2 is only $7.00 at Linux Central.
    Is there a place to buy Redhat Enterprise or Advanced
    server cheap? Or download for free?

    Sorry for the dumb questions. It's not often I buy another
    operating system.

    Thanks a lot
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  2. #2

    <com> wrote in message

    Actually, SuSe is a very good distribution for Linux. But the minute you
    step outside the certification matrix, you must expect problems. You just
    have to google a lot to find the answers to particular issues such as your
    kernel parameters one.

    That said, I wouldn't touch Mandrake. It's very nice for a desktop, but it's
    a bit of Mickey Mouse job as far as servers are concerned. Just my personal
    bias.

    Red Hat is good. If you don't want to shell out for the biggie Enterprise
    stuff (and there's no need to, just to practice RAC), my vote would go (I
    think) to Red Hat 8.0, but Red Hat 9.0 is workable.

    Regards
    HJR

    (and if you do decide to go Red Hat or Mandrake, check out www.dizwell.com
    whitepapers).

    Howard Guest

  3. #3

    "Howard J. Rogers" <com> wrote in message

    > Actually, SuSe is a very good distribution for Linux.[/ref]

    Sorry, that should have read "for Oracle".
    HJR

    Howard Guest

  4. #4

    On 15 Nov 2003 00:04:36 -0800, com wrote:

    You are going to find out this combination of Oracle software on one
    server is not going to work ever. Obviously you didn't read Oracle's
    hardware requirements and their advice NOT to run Oracle Application
    Server on a database server.
    Also please do not crosspost to every group you can spell.

    --
    Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
    Sybrand Guest

  5. #5

    In alt.os.linux Howard J. Rogers <com> wrote:

     [/ref]

    You could make it working, as almost any other distro.
     [/ref]

    Not that I'm aware of, at least not legal.

    [..]

    AFAIR you need the proper gcc version to even install Oracle probably. The one
    that comes with RH 8.0/9.0 is just too new.

    RH AS/ES 2.1 don't come with lvm, making it unusable as db server, AS/ES 3.0
    come with lvm, however I'm still waiting for the install media, can't comment
    on those.

    Oracle runs fine on SuSE SLES8, but you don't get this enterprise distro for
    free and you need a special account to be even able to download patches.

    Best idea, get someone you know to make you a copy of the SLES media kit
    and the patches. While this might not be legal, I wouldn't care much if
    this is really for private educational purposes only!

    Good luck

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    "Sybrand Bakker" <nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message

    > You are going to find out this combination of Oracle software on one
    > server is not going to work ever. Obviously you didn't read Oracle's
    > hardware requirements and their advice NOT to run Oracle Application
    > Server on a database server.
    > Also please do not crosspost to every group you can spell.[/ref]

    He wants to learn, Sybrand. Not put it into production.

    Right now, I have a single Windows 2003 server running VMware hosting 2 Red
    Hat 9 virtual machines running Oracle 9.2 in one with a logical standby in
    the other, 1 Red Hat 8.0 virtual machine running 9iAS, and 1 virtual machine
    running Windows XP acting as the Management Server and RMAN repository. It
    all works perfectly and pretty fast, and is an excellent platform to learn
    on. It requires only a bit of gumption and a couple of Gigabytes of RAM to
    run.

    There is, in short, no reason why a learning environment should not be as
    challenging as you want to make it.

    Regards
    HJR

    Howard Guest

  7. #7

    > > Red Hat is good. If you don't want to shell out for the biggie Enterprise [/ref]

    So, you have got RAC to work on regular Red Hat 8 and 9?

    As was my bad experience attempting to install 817 on the newest Redhat 7
    a few years ago. After days of struggle, I went back to 6.2, and 817
    installed in an hour. I was not impressed.

    Really? I noticed that my Suse Personal 8.2 had a GUI to configure
    RAID, and LVM.

    As the Oracle sales reps said regarding ordering their CDs for $40.00.

    Thanks everyone for all your help and support.
    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  8. #8

    HI Howard,

    Thanks a lot for all your help and support. You will no doubt
    be seeing some more questions on fine points in here.

    I took a look at your website. Thanks for making your PDFs
    available. I'll be sure to check them out.

    Thanks again!

    linuxquestion@yahoo.com Guest

  9. #9

    In alt.os.linux com wrote: [/ref][/ref]

    Nope, nor did I wrote that, you snipped too much away.

    [..]

  10. #10

    <com> wrote in message
    news:google.com... [/ref][/ref]
    Enterprise [/ref][/ref]
    (I [/ref]

    > So, you have got RAC to work on regular Red Hat 8 and 9?
    >[/ref]

    Careful with your snipping. It was me that said I had RAC working on RH8 and
    RH9. And yes, I do. It's not difficult.

    Regards
    HJR

    Howard Guest