Professional Web Applications Themes

Recording a video from multiple camera angles - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone has experience in recording one video using several different cameras as it's source. I'll have say five PCs, each with a camera, on the same network as the FMS and want remote users over the net to be able to choose the source, like a video producer would choose which angle shot to use. Multiple people would be recording videos at the same time from these sources. What do you all think? Can this be done? Thanks a bunch for any advice you can offer. - Evan...

  1. #1

    Default Recording a video from multiple camera angles

    Hi all,

    I'm wondering if anyone has experience in recording one video using several
    different cameras as it's source. I'll have say five PCs, each with a camera,
    on the same network as the FMS and want remote users over the net to be able to
    choose the source, like a video producer would choose which angle shot to use.
    Multiple people would be recording videos at the same time from these sources.
    What do you all think? Can this be done?

    Thanks a bunch for any advice you can offer.

    - Evan

    Evan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recording a video from multiple camera angles

    There are a number of ways to build something like this with FMS. The best
    approach is really going to depend on your needs, especially concerning
    security, etc.

    The easist way is to have each of the PCs publish its stream with known names,
    say "pc1"..."pc5". In your client app, write ActionScript that switches
    between the streams when the user selects that view. You only need a single
    NetConnection and a single NetStream to do this, just use netStream.play("pcX",
    -1, -1, true) and you will stop receiving the original stream and begin
    receiving the new one.

    Another approach is to have the client play a single forward facing
    server-side stream "clientX". Using SSAS, you can push the different camera
    views into that stream under the control of the server. This approach might
    work better for you, since your "producer" app could be signaling the server to
    change streams, and the "recorder" apps could simple record whatever was coming
    from the single forward facing stream.

    KevinStreeter Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks so much for your very helpful response. I'm going to be diving into
    this today - not sure which approach I'll take yet, though. Hopefully, I'll
    get it, if not, I may impose on you a bit more with more questions :)

    Thanks again.

    Evan Guest

  4. #4

    Hi again Kevin,

    OK, so I was right about needing more help. I started with approach 1, and
    got it working fine all the way to the point at which I tried to publish the
    stream from the producer app.

    Calling publish("final_stream","record") on the final NetStream created a
    stream in the admin, and an flv file, but the flv was only 1k - no data in it
    no matter how long I let it record.

    Seems to make some sense as I am not attaching a camera to the stream, but
    rather trying record from data coming from other cameras, which the
    doentation on the publish method says you can't do ("This method is
    available only to the publisher of the specified stream.").

    Am I missing something? Would it help if I showed the code for my producer
    app?

    I'm going to see if I can get something going on the server side, but I
    haven't done any SSAS yet, so it might take me a bit to get going.

    Again, thanks for any help you can offer. I really appreciate it.

    - Evan

    evPlanet00 Guest