Professional Web Applications Themes

Recover dead HD with Linux - Linux / Unix Administration

The department that I work at uses all Windows OS's. I've just started using KNOPPIX the last couple of weeks and I'm really liking it. One of the Windows HD died (doesn't show up in BIOS). I was told that Linux doesn't use BIOS to mount drives. So I tried it and it found the drive, but it didn't mount it. When I try to mount it: # mount hdb Which usualy works, it says that I have an I/O error and I should specify a file system, so I've tried both # mount -t ntfs /mnt/hdb # mount -t ...

  1. #1

    Default Recover dead HD with Linux

    The department that I work at uses all Windows OS's. I've just
    started using KNOPPIX the last couple of weeks and I'm really liking
    it. One of the Windows HD died (doesn't show up in BIOS). I was told
    that Linux doesn't use BIOS to mount drives. So I tried it and it
    found the drive, but it didn't mount it. When I try to mount it:

    # mount hdb

    Which usualy works, it says that I have an I/O error and I should
    specify a file system, so I've tried both

    # mount -t ntfs /mnt/hdb
    # mount -t ntfs /dev/hdb /mnt/hdb

    both give me the help screen for the mount command.

    I am happy that it know that the drives is there, unlink Windows which
    doesn't. My boss wants to drop a couple hundred dollars and buy a
    program, which is suppose to be able to fix the problem. I want to
    know if there are any apps that KNOPPIX, or any flavor of Linux has
    that might be able to fix this problem. We don't want to save the
    drive, just bring it up so we can save the data.

    Thanks in advance

    -M
    Mark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recover dead HD with Linux

    com (Mark) writes:

    Try mounting the first partition, i.e.:

    # mkdir /mnt/hdb
    # mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb

    Later

    Mark Hittinger
    net
    Mark Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the idea Mark, unfortunately it didn't work.

    # mkdir /mnt/hdb
    # mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb

    I got this error:

    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/hdb or to
    many mounted file systems

    I also tried without the readonly option
    I know that it's an ntfs file system.

    I don't know hd geometry that well or where OS's store system info.
    Is the superbock where all of the info for the dirve is?

    I guess some guys in the office tried to image the drive with a
    windows program and they said that it kept giving them errors starting
    with the first sector and kept giving errors for a while, they said
    they just canceled it.

    If there are errors from the first sector on I guess the drive is
    probably toast, at least as long as I can't mount it.

    Does anyone have any other ideas.

    net (Mark Hittinger) wrote in message news:<com>...

    > Try mounting the first partition, i.e.:
    >
    > # mkdir /mnt/hdb
    > # mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb
    >
    > Later
    >
    > Mark Hittinger
    > net[/ref]
    Mark Guest

  4. #4

    Begin <google.com>
    On 2004-11-23, Mark <com> wrote:

    Arrr, no. linux doesn't use the bios INT13 interface to access the drive,
    after bootup. The loader still does (it has to, for practical reasons).

    This is different from ``shows up in the bios'' in that the POST does a
    check for hardware: it finds a controller and inquires for devices on
    it. If the drive's dead, it won't show up. There may be other reasons
    why it doesn't show up, but that's besides the point.

    Now, you can have linux do such a scan as well. In fact, it does when
    _it_ boots, and results are in its bootup log (type ``dmesg'' to recall
    it from the kernel output buffer). If it doesn't show up there, chances
    are linux can't access the drive either.

    So its guessing of what filesystem driver it needs to use failed. An
    I/O error may mean that altough (as you claim) linux has seen the disk,
    it cannot actually talk to it such that the drive will give up its
    contents.

    Presumably it also complains of something. /mnt/hdb has to exist.
    The first form assumes there exists an fstab entry for /mnt/hdb with
    /dev/hdb as device. When in doubt, use the full form. Also, /dev/hdb
    means _the entire disk_. You probably need to use /dev/hdb1 or somesuch.
    Check with fdisk what partitions are on that disk. (Read the fdisk
    manpage first, of course.) Make sure support for ntfs is in the kernel
    and/or its module is loaded. If not in the kernel it should auto-load
    but why take chances. And while trying to get data off such a device,
    I'd suggest mounting read-only.

    jpd Guest

  5. #5

    In article <google.com>, Mark wrote:

    >> Try mounting the first partition, i.e.:
    >>
    >> # mkdir /mnt/hdb
    >> # mount -r -t ntfs /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb
    >>
    >> Later
    >>
    >> Mark Hittinger
    >> net[/ref][/ref]

    If you really need the data, talk to OnTrack (www.ontrack.com). You can buy a
    self-recovery software or pay them to do it for you...

    We had a scenario where a team of developers were using a box, but we were not
    aware of it. We re-imaged the box and lost 3 months worth of work (~10 people)!
    OnTrack recovered the data in less than 48 hours, and did it remotely over a
    dial-up modem... And it would have been done faster if didn't have firewall
    issues preventing a networked connection. However, it wasn't cheap - about
    $20k, I think!

    Kevin
    Kevin Guest

  6. #6

    In comp.unix.admin Mark <com>:

    Try (as root):

    modprobe ntfs

    and show us the output of:
    lsmod | grep ntfs
    fdisk -l /dev/hdb

    [..]

    mail: echo qr | perl -pe 'y/a-z/n-za-m/'
    #bofh excuse 311: transient bus protocol violation
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for all the advice.

    The professor wants to send it out to a data recovery company and pay for it.
    Thanks for all the ideas.

    -M

    jpd <not.spam.it.invalid> wrote in message news:<de>...

    > Arrr, no. linux doesn't use the bios INT13 interface to access the drive,
    > after bootup. The loader still does (it has to, for practical reasons).
    >
    > This is different from ``shows up in the bios'' in that the POST does a
    > check for hardware: it finds a controller and inquires for devices on
    > it. If the drive's dead, it won't show up. There may be other reasons
    > why it doesn't show up, but that's besides the point.
    >
    > Now, you can have linux do such a scan as well. In fact, it does when
    > _it_ boots, and results are in its bootup log (type ``dmesg'' to recall
    > it from the kernel output buffer). If it doesn't show up there, chances
    > are linux can't access the drive either.
    >

    > So its guessing of what filesystem driver it needs to use failed. An
    > I/O error may mean that altough (as you claim) linux has seen the disk,
    > it cannot actually talk to it such that the drive will give up its
    > contents.
    >

    > Presumably it also complains of something. /mnt/hdb has to exist.
    > The first form assumes there exists an fstab entry for /mnt/hdb with
    > /dev/hdb as device. When in doubt, use the full form. Also, /dev/hdb
    > means _the entire disk_. You probably need to use /dev/hdb1 or somesuch.
    > Check with fdisk what partitions are on that disk. (Read the fdisk
    > manpage first, of course.) Make sure support for ntfs is in the kernel
    > and/or its module is loaded. If not in the kernel it should auto-load
    > but why take chances. And while trying to get data off such a device,
    > I'd suggest mounting read-only.[/ref]
    Mark Guest

  8. #8

    On 11/29/04 05:17 PM, Mark wrote:

    Just get a new disk and restore your data from the backup.

    (no, don't say that)

    /bb
    Birger Guest