Professional Web Applications Themes

recover from digital wallets - Photography

2 catastrophes and I need help. I just came back from Alaska-went all the way up to Prudhoe Bay. During the trip, I downloaded my photos into Mindstor. I downloaded them into my hard drive when I got home and then put my photos in RAW form on CDs. Before I did that, however, I rotated them in Nikon Browser (or Nikon View 6) which corrupted all the rotated images!! Nikon can't figure out why and is investigating this. Then I went back to Mindstor and unfortunately, while the folders are still there they are empty. I tried to call ...

  1. #1

    Default recover from digital wallets

    2 catastrophes and I need help. I just came back from Alaska-went all
    the way up to Prudhoe Bay. During the trip, I downloaded my photos
    into Mindstor. I downloaded them into my hard drive when I got home
    and then put my photos in RAW form on CDs. Before I did that, however,
    I rotated them in Nikon Browser (or Nikon View 6) which corrupted all
    the rotated images!! Nikon can't figure out why and is investigating
    this. Then I went back to Mindstor and unfortunately, while the
    folders are still there they are empty. I tried to call Mindstor and
    they went out of business.

    I make my living from photography and desperately need these images.

    Is there any way to retrieve these images from Mindstor?! (Or did lack
    of RAM cause these images to crash when I rotated them?)

    Thank you for your help.

    Sally L Perisho
    Sally Perisho Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: recover from digital wallets

    "Sally Perisho" <slp20msn.com> wrote in message news:53bd1290.0307111713.41c07bcaposting.google.c om...
    > 2 catastrophes and I need help. I just came back from Alaska-went all
    > the way up to Prudhoe Bay. During the trip, I downloaded my photos
    > into Mindstor. I downloaded them into my hard drive when I got home
    > and then put my photos in RAW form on CDs. Before I did that, however,
    > I rotated them in Nikon Browser (or Nikon View 6) which corrupted all
    > the rotated images!! Nikon can't figure out why and is investigating
    > this. Then I went back to Mindstor and unfortunately, while the
    > folders are still there they are empty. I tried to call Mindstor and
    > they went out of business.
    >
    > I make my living from photography and desperately need these images.
    >
    > Is there any way to retrieve these images from Mindstor?! (Or did lack
    > of RAM cause these images to crash when I rotated them?)
    >
    > Thank you for your help.
    >
    > Sally L Perisho
    Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you make your living from this
    why not carry extra flash cards or at least portable storage ? There's
    too much that can go wrong transferring to and from the net. If you batch
    rotated the images it could have been the problem but again, these
    images should have been saved and the copies manipulated. It sounds
    like the Mindstor folks had the site set up to delete the images on transfer.
    It's a rough way to learn a lesson.

    The Lone Ranger Guest

  3. #3

    The Lone Ranger wrote:
    >Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you make your living from this
    >why not carry extra flash cards or at least portable storage ? There's
    >too much that can go wrong transferring to and from the net. If you batch
    >rotated the images it could have been the problem but again, these
    >images should have been saved and the copies manipulated. It sounds
    >like the Mindstor folks had the site set up to delete the images on transfer.
    >It's a rough way to learn a lesson.
    Lone, I think you totally misunderstood the situation. The Mindstor device IS a
    portable storage device, and there is no Internet transfer to get trashed, as
    you assumed.

    I don't have a Mindstor, I have a X-Drive I, which is somewhat similar. I
    believe that the problem is basically one of file corruption via rotation, but
    I don't know how severe it is. I agree, this is basically a hard disk with some
    files on it that you need to recover, and there are a number of disk file
    recovery programs out there (e.g. Norton). You've got to try that first.

    I've never lost anything off my X-Drive I, but then, it has no screen or
    manipulation of the stored images.

    ---Bob Gross---
    Robertwgross Guest

  4. #4

    Sally Perisho wrote:
    > 2 catastrophes and I need help. I just came back from Alaska-went all
    > the way up to Prudhoe Bay. During the trip, I downloaded my photos
    > into Mindstor. I downloaded them into my hard drive when I got home
    > and then put my photos in RAW form on CDs. Before I did that, however,
    > I rotated them in Nikon Browser (or Nikon View 6) which corrupted all
    > the rotated images!! Nikon can't figure out why and is investigating
    > this. Then I went back to Mindstor and unfortunately, while the
    > folders are still there they are empty. I tried to call Mindstor and
    > they went out of business.
    >
    > I make my living from photography and desperately need these images.
    >
    > Is there any way to retrieve these images from Mindstor?! (Or did lack
    > of RAM cause these images to crash when I rotated them?)
    Hope you don't mind the direct email reply, figured you might appreciate
    it in this instance.

    If you moved the files off the Mindstor and the folders are all still
    there then there is a very good chance that the images are still there.

    I used a program called Fast File Undelete to recover some pictures that
    I had inadvertantly deleted. It recovered all the files.

    Whatever you do DONT PLACE ANY MORE FILES ON THE MINDSTOR until you have
    attempted the recovery. If you have not written to the drive since the
    "incident" they are still there. If you have written to the drive then
    you will overwrite the space where the images were.

    Fast File Undelete can be found at [url]www.dtidata.com[/url].

    Andrew McDonald Guest

  5. #5

    "Robertwgross"
    > The Lone Ranger wrote:
    > >Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. If you make your living from this
    > >why not carry extra flash cards or at least portable storage ? There's
    > >too much that can go wrong transferring to and from the net. If you batch
    > >rotated the images it could have been the problem but again, these
    > >images should have been saved and the copies manipulated. It sounds
    > >like the Mindstor folks had the site set up to delete the images on transfer.
    > >It's a rough way to learn a lesson.
    >
    > Lone, I think you totally misunderstood the situation. The Mindstor device IS a
    > portable storage device, and there is no Internet transfer to get trashed, as
    > you assumed.
    >
    > I don't have a Mindstor, I have a X-Drive I, which is somewhat similar. I
    > believe that the problem is basically one of file corruption via rotation, but
    > I don't know how severe it is. I agree, this is basically a hard disk with some
    > files on it that you need to recover, and there are a number of disk file
    > recovery programs out there (e.g. Norton). You've got to try that first.
    >
    > I've never lost anything off my X-Drive I, but then, it has no screen or
    > manipulation of the stored images.

    Ah, it sounded like a website given the terminology. As I understand it
    files aren't really deleted off of hard drives just the first character of the
    name is altered so that they no longer display, until the space is overwritten.
    I tried a few utilities to help a gal that deleted her images on a Sony stick by
    mistake. One of them seemed to show some promise, the first two were
    unsucessful. Also there are companies that specialize in file recovery and
    may be a last resort if all else fails. The bottom line for me is still the same,
    only manipulate the copies, not the originals.

    The Lone Ranger Guest

  6. #6

    Sally Perisho wrote:
    > 2 catastrophes and I need help. I just came back from Alaska-went all
    > the way up to Prudhoe Bay. During the trip, I downloaded my photos
    > into Mindstor. I downloaded them into my hard drive when I got home
    > and then put my photos in RAW form on CDs. Before I did that, however,
    > I rotated them in Nikon Browser (or Nikon View 6) which corrupted all
    > the rotated images!! Nikon can't figure out why and is investigating
    > this. Then I went back to Mindstor and unfortunately, while the
    > folders are still there they are empty. I tried to call Mindstor and
    > they went out of business.
    So, did you recover the pictures?

    Andrew McDonald Guest