Professional Web Applications Themes

Recovering from Xsun crash. - Sun Solaris

Hello, For the third time in a few months i had Xsun crash on me now, it did not react to any keyboard or mouse input. How can i recover from this situation? This is a single user workstation, and i don't have any other computer on the network to log in to my workstation and kill Xsun that way. Neither does Xsun have an emergency escape key-sequence like XFree (ctrl+alt+backspace) for as far as i know. Solaris doesnt support any virtual consoles either, where i can switch to and kill Xsun from there. The only option i have is ...

  1. #1

    Default Recovering from Xsun crash.

    Hello,

    For the third time in a few months i had Xsun crash on me now, it did
    not react to any keyboard or mouse input.

    How can i recover from this situation? This is a single user
    workstation, and i don't have any other computer on the network to log
    in to my workstation and kill Xsun that way. Neither does Xsun have an
    emergency escape key-sequence like XFree (ctrl+alt+backspace) for as far
    as i know. Solaris doesnt support any virtual consoles either, where i
    can switch to and kill Xsun from there. The only option i have is to do
    a hard reset of my system. Which is unacceptable in my eyes.

    Are there any solutions to this?

    Thanks in advance,
    Jogchem

    (to respond by mail, reverse the username in the email address)

    Jogchem Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Recovering from Xsun crash.

    Jogchem <utwente.nl> writes:

    Apparently possible using the XKB extension:

    http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=atqera%241vj0%241%40agate.berkeley.edu

    Juergen Guest

  3. #3

    Jogchem <utwente.nl> wrote:

    Do you have a Palm/laptop/terminal or other box nearby that could act as
    a serial terminal into the workstation?

    --
    Darren Dunham com
    Unix System Administrator Taos - The SysAdmin Company

  4. #4

    In article <bknatb$v3m$tilbu1.nb.home.nl>,
    Jogchem <utwente.nl> writes:

    Write a program that periodically connects to the X display and runs some
    trivial query that should always succeed, with an alarm set. The signal
    handler may have be tricky, do a siglongjmp(), etc. If the connect
    fails, run system("kbd_mode -a") if the error was ECONNREFUSED, or
    system("pkill Xsun;kbd_mode -a"); if the query fails or times out, have
    the signal handler run system("pkill Xsun;;kbd_mode -a"). Sleep a
    reasonable amount of time (at least 30 seconds, preferably a minute or two)
    between passes. Remember to close the connection if the XOpenDisplay()
    succeeded.

    It would take a fair bit of tweaking, but it should be possible to write
    something like that to ensure that the X server was either healthy
    or killed off and the keyboard put back in ASCII mode.

    --
    mailto:smart.net http://www.smart.net/~rlhamil
    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    Hello,

    This wouldn't work in my situation. Because Xsun didnt accept any input
    anymore. Not from mouse nor from keyboard. But it did display the
    program windows correctly. I had an irc client open, and all things said
    were properly displayed. So most likely i would have been able to
    connect to the XServer too.. It was just the input part which broke up..

    Jogchem

    Jogchem Guest