Professional Web Applications Themes

red eye! - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Has anyone told Adobe that the red eye feature is hopeless? Any cheap program can get rid of red eye in a few seconds, but I have just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get PE2 red eye to work--and I have given up. My suggestion is this: have a quick-fix red eye tool, and leave the current one for those who have nothing better to do with their time (e.g., because they are either professionals or are retired). (I am assuming that should one devote a week or so to using this thing, it actually would do ...

  1. #1

    Default red eye!

    Has anyone told Adobe that the red eye feature is hopeless? Any cheap program can get rid of red eye in a few seconds, but I have just spent a ridiculous amount of time trying to get PE2 red eye to work--and I have given up. My suggestion is this: have a quick-fix red eye tool, and leave the current one for those who have nothing better to do with their time (e.g., because they are either professionals or are retired). (I am assuming that should one devote a week or so to using this thing, it actually would do what it is supposed to do). I think 'red eye' describes one of the two things you end up with trying use this tool.
    --Paul (Bullen)
    Paul Bullen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: red eye!

    "Paul Bullen" <paulbullen.com> wrote in message
    > Has anyone told Adobe that the red eye feature is hopeless?
    It depends on the red eye. I have found that for fixing red eye where only
    the pupil is red and the rest of the eye is visible, Elements produces
    *great* results, much better than other programs I've used (Microsoft's
    Picture It!, for example). But if the "red eye" is actually a large
    over-exposed area that obscures the rest of the eye, Elements red-eye tool
    won't do what you want (but you can match the results found in other
    programs with other tools).

    It only took me a few moments to learn how to use the red-eye tool, and to
    understand when it was useful and when I should just use the Magic Wand and
    fill the over-exposed area with whatever color I want. I don't agree that
    it's "hopeless".

    Perhaps you post a message that, constructively, describes what you tried
    and what about the results you were unhappy with, the people here could help
    you learn to use the tool. Ranting about how you couldn't get it to work
    isn't much use.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  3. #3

    Actually, Pete, lots of people, including folks like Mikkel Aalund, would agree with Paul. The problem is that the way the red eye tool works is that it just substitutes hue and makes no compensation for the intensity/saturation of the color. So if the red eye is pale, as it usually is, you just get gray cataract-ish eyes instead and have to go back with the burn tool or something to fix that. If you look at a lot of the online tutorials, you can see that they have had to fake their red eye to show the tool working as intended. (Try the one at atomiclearning.com, for instance. No dog gets red eye like their sample, at least no dog except maybe the Hound of the Baskervilles.)

    iPhoto has a better red eye tool and so, I've heard, does Photoshop Album, which would indicate that Adobe has worked on it since PE was released.

    Paul, you can be sure they've heard the complaints by now, I bet.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    "Barbara Brundage" <memberadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Actually, Pete, lots of people, including folks like Mikkel Aalund,
    > would agree with Paul. The problem is that the way the red eye
    > tool works is that it just substitutes hue and makes no compensation
    > for the intensity/saturation of the color.
    I'd hardly call that "hopeless". However, everyone is welcome to their own
    opinion. I just don't see the point in posting the rant here.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  5. #5

    "Hopeless' was hyperbole on my part. If my memory serves, Adobe Photodeluxe had a more conventional red-eye tool. I am in no position to say that for advanced purposes the current red-eye tool in Photoshop Elements is not effective. My complaint is limited to the fact that despite several attempts to follow the official instructions over a couple of hours, I was not able to improve the look of the eyes. With other programs you simply make a rectangle around the eyes, push a button, and your problem is solved. I suggest adding that capacity for beginners, and keep the more complicated method for those who have the time and need to go beyond a quick fix. In fact, I think such a red eye tool should be added to the quick fix list--with it being made clear to people that a more sophisticated method is available too. Thanks to Pete and Barbara for their feedback, and to any future comments.
    Paul (Bullen)
    Paul Bullen Guest

  6. #6

    Paul,

    My complaint is limited to the fact that despite several attempts to follow
    the official instructions over a couple of hours, I was not able to improve
    the look of the eyes.

    Yeah, I went through that too. I finally gave up and now just use iPhoto's red eye tool. Works slicker then snake snot.

    You're right about the red eye tool Paul, IMO. For those who like the "advance purposes" of the red eye tool, great. For the rest of us who want quick red eye correction PSE's red eye tool just doesn't cut it.

    Oh, and a little rant now and then is a good thing, IMO! ;-)

    The problem is that the way the red eye tool works is that it just substitutes
    hue and makes no compensation for the intensity/saturation of the color.
    So if the red eye is pale, as it usually is, you just get gray cataract-ish
    eyes instead

    Thanks for the explanation Barb. When I first tried the red eye tool when PSE 2 was first released, I just figured it was buggy. Then after watching many red eye related threads over the last year or so I found out that wasn't the case. It's good to know the reason behind the tools odd behavior.

    Joe
    Joe Henry1000 Guest

  7. #7

    > Adobe Photodeluxe had a more conventional red-eye tool.

    Paul,

    If you have PhotoDeluxe you can copy its red eye tool and plug it into PE.
    I don't remember the details right now, but I'll be glad to check into it,
    if you are interested.

    Juergen

    Juergen D Guest

  8. #8

    Paul and Joe, I agree - the Red Eye tool may be good for some other
    specialized purposes (it's a good color-changer for certain situations), but
    as a general 'quick-fix' tool for the red eye phenomenon, it really falls
    short. I'm guessing the designers of Elements wanted a tool that was a
    little more sophisticated than the one in the low-end editors, but they
    wound up with something that only works in a portion of the red eye spectrum
    and falls short in many (most?) instances.

    There have been a number of fixes showcased on the forum, and it's not a
    difficult task to perform. However, I agree with Paul that Adobe should
    consider a new Quick Fix Red Eye in its future versions.

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  9. #9

    p.s. There's a red eye tool in Photoshop Album that works better than the
    one in Elements; maybe that one should be copied into Elements 3.

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  10. #10

    In my collection of tips, I have the following re red eye. I have used this with success. I don't know the source, however.
    1. Open image
    2. Create new layer at top of stack and change mode to saturation
    3. Choose black as foreground color
    4. Select a painting tool, zoom in to eyes, and paint only the red
    part with brush of appropriate size
    5. Duplicate the layer and change mode to overlay
    6. Adjust opacity of overlay layer to effect intensity of darkening

    One may also try softlight, darken, or multiply for mode in #5.
    If one wants some red to come through, adjust opacity of saturation layer.

    Another method:
    1. Zoom in on eyes
    2. Use lasso tool to select one eye
    3. Holds down shift key and select the other eye with lasso.
    Don't stray on eyelids
    4. Feather selection by 1 pixel
    5. Bring up Hue/saturation adjustment layer
    5. Where it says "master" select reds" from drop down menu
    6. Slide lightness down to -100

    Ken
    Kenneth Liffmann Guest

  11. #11

    "If you have PhotoDeluxe you can copy its red eye tool and plug it into PE.
    I don't remember the details right now, but I'll be glad to check into it,
    if you are interested." --Juergen

    Juergen,
    I would very much appreciate that information, if it is not too much trouble to retrieve it. (I hope I have taken too long for you to notice this response.) Thanks.

    And thanks to the other people for their suggestions too.
    Paul
    Paul Guest

  12. #12

    Paul,

    Copy the file 'redeye.8bf' from C:\Program Files\Adobe\PhotoDeluxe Home
    Edition 4.0\Plugins into C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements
    2\Plug-Ins\Effects.
    It will show up under Filter>PhotoDeluxe>Remove Red Eye.

    Juergen

    Juergen Guest

  13. #13

    What and where is iPhoto?

    Andrew.
    Andrew Guest

  14. #14

    Andrew, iPhoto is part of the Mac OS systems, OS X and above.
    Beth Guest

  15. #15

    Juergen (and anyone else),

    Thanks for the instructions. My Adobe Photodeluxe 2.0 works in Mac OS 9, while my Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 works in Max OS X. Does this mean I should not try copying the red eye plugin from Photodeluxe (Filters folder with Plugins folder) to Photoshop Elements (Effects or Filters folder [?] within the Plugins folder)?

    I was wondering whether I shouldn't get Adobe Photo Album (which also has a red eye tool), but I see they don't have a Mac version.

    --Paul
    Paul Guest

  16. #16

    You can copy it, Paul, but you'll have to run Elements in os 9 or classic to be able to use it.
    Barbara Guest

  17. #17

    Paul,

    If you're running OS X, why don't you just use iPhoto's red eye tool? It works fantastic and it's free!

    Joe
    Joe Guest

  18. #18

    Paul,

    Sorry, I just assumed you were using Windows... :(

    Juergen

    Juergen Guest

  19. #19

    Juergen,
    Your instructions would have led me where I wanted to go, if it were not for the unusual gap between OS X and previous versions. I will use iPhoto for now, and await a Mac version of Adobe Photo Album and/or the addition of a quick fix red eye tool in PE 3. Thanks to all.
    Paul
    Paul Guest

  20. #20

    Paul, in the meantime, when you have a chance, you might want to try some of
    the techniques outlined by folks such as Ken Liffman. Remember that full
    Photoshop doesn't have a red eye tool, so the pros must have some way to
    deal with the occasional instance of an errant flash bouncing off a
    retina...

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest