Professional Web Applications Themes

Red hat Linux Mail server help. - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I am trying to setup mail server on red hat linux 9.0. I am not famaliar with this product. Can anyone please help me or direct me to a website where i can get step by step instructions on how to set up mail server. While installing linux i had selected linux server install and inside the package i selected ftp and email server. After the installation computer, boots up right in x-window, but don't know where to go and setup mail server. Thank you for your help. Jeet...

  1. #1

    Default Red hat Linux Mail server help.

    Hello,
    I am trying to setup mail server on red hat linux 9.0. I am not
    famaliar with this product. Can anyone please help me or direct me to
    a website where i can get step by step instructions on how to set up
    mail server.

    While installing linux i had selected linux server install and inside
    the package i selected ftp and email server.

    After the installation computer, boots up right in x-window, but
    don't know where to go and setup mail server.

    Thank you for your help.

    Jeet
    Jeet Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Red hat Linux Mail server help.

    Jeet wrote:

    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi

  3. #3

    Markku Kolkka <fi> wrote in message news:<bo95cd$fb5$kolumbus.fi>...

    > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html[/ref]

    than you for your input sir. That is just general descripttion for
    email, what i am looking for is, how to setup email server on red hat
    linux 9.0. Is it possible inside x windows or i have to boot the
    computer in text mode. Sorry for not providing complete information
    before.
    Any help.
    Thanks in advance
    Jeet Guest

  4. #4

    On 6 Nov 2003 11:40:33 -0800, com (Jeet) wrote:

    >> http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/ref-guide/ch-email.html[/ref]
    >
    >than you for your input sir. That is just general descripttion for
    >email, what i am looking for is, how to setup email server on red hat
    >linux 9.0. Is it possible inside x windows or i have to boot the
    >computer in text mode. Sorry for not providing complete information
    >before.
    >Any help.
    >Thanks in advance[/ref]

    Which email server? If you want a recommendation for the most
    painless way, use postfix NOT sendmail (unless you want your head to
    explode) and install webmin. Use webmin as the gui to set up not only
    postfix, but pretty much the whole rest of the system.

    To answer your original question, you can open shell sessions and use
    emacs (or whatever editor you like) to configure the email server in
    X. Most config files in linux are simple text.

    However, more unsolicited advice - Xwindows pulls a lot of horsepower
    - how fast is your computer, and how busy do you expect your email
    server to be? You may want to run in text mode anyway.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    Michael Guest

  5. #5

    Jeet wrote:

    > than you for your input sir. That is just general descripttion for
    > email, what i am looking for is, how to setup email server on red hat
    > linux 9.0.[/ref]

    Continue reading the guide (click on the "Next" link at the end of each
    page), and you get the specific instructions after the general
    introduction.

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi