Professional Web Applications Themes

RedHat 7.2 on 250 GB HD - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Trying to install RH 7.2 on a system with a large IDE HD, the system only notices the first ~130 GB. Then I tried it with SuSE 8.1, which had no problem with the disk size. But for uniformity's sake, we want all nodes in our network to run RH 7.2, so I thought after the disk is partitioned with SuSE I might try installing RedHat again. Now the installation aborts with the error message "Could not read partition table". Does anybody know a workaround for this? TIA Helge...

  1. #1

    Default RedHat 7.2 on 250 GB HD

    Trying to install RH 7.2 on a system with a large IDE HD, the system
    only notices the first ~130 GB. Then I tried it with SuSE 8.1, which had
    no problem with the disk size. But for uniformity's sake, we want all
    nodes in our network to run RH 7.2, so I thought after the disk is
    partitioned with SuSE I might try installing RedHat again. Now the
    installation aborts with the error message "Could not read partition table".
    Does anybody know a workaround for this?
    TIA
    Helge

    Helge Preuss Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RedHat 7.2 on 250 GB HD

    Helge Preuss <scouthyperspace-travel.de> wrote:
    > Trying to install RH 7.2 on a system with a large IDE HD, the system
    > only notices the first ~130 GB. Then I tried it with SuSE 8.1, which had
    There is no chance of a distro issued well before 130GB+ ide disks became
    common having a kernel with a driver that can "recognize" them.

    Think about it.
    > no problem with the disk size. But for uniformity's sake, we want all
    > nodes in our network to run RH 7.2, so I thought after the disk is
    > partitioned with SuSE I might try installing RedHat again. Now the
    Why? What has RH got to do with the issue? Load an ide driver that can
    cope.
    > installation aborts with the error message "Could not read partition table".
    > Does anybody know a workaround for this?
    Yes, everyone except you. Run a kernel that can cope.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    Helge Preuss <scouthyperspace-travel.de> wrote:
    > Trying to install RH 7.2 on a system with a large IDE HD, the system
    > only notices the first ~130 GB. Then I tried it with SuSE 8.1, which had
    > no problem with the disk size. But for uniformity's sake, we want all
    > nodes in our network to run RH 7.2, so I thought after the disk is
    > partitioned with SuSE I might try installing RedHat again. Now the
    > installation aborts with the error message "Could not read partition table".
    > Does anybody know a workaround for this?
    Perhaps you could re-install RH 7.2, accepting the limitations. Then,
    when it's installed, upgrade to a newer kernel, and perhaps a newer
    fdisk, and other disk utilities and tools. The perhaps you can use the
    full size of the disk. Just speculation, but I hope it'll work for
    you.

    If you can't install because of the "Could not read partition table",
    you might want to use SuSe or Knoppix to delete all partition tables
    from the disk first.

    You might also want to set your disk up with LVM before you enable
    support for the larger disk, so that you can make the change to the
    larger disk more transparent. Check out the LVM howto at the Linux
    Doentation Project.

    --
    Jim Buchanan [email]jbuchanabuchanan1.net[/email] [email]jbuchana[/email]
    =================== [url]http://www.buchanan1.net/[/url] ==========================

  4. #4

    [email]jbuchanabuchanan1.net[/email] wrote:
    > Helge Preuss <scouthyperspace-travel.de> wrote:
    >
    >>Trying to install RH 7.2 on a system with a large IDE HD, the system
    >>only notices the first ~130 GB. Then I tried it with SuSE 8.1, which had
    >>no problem with the disk size. But for uniformity's sake, we want all
    >>nodes in our network to run RH 7.2, so I thought after the disk is
    >>partitioned with SuSE I might try installing RedHat again. Now the
    >>installation aborts with the error message "Could not read partition table".
    >>Does anybody know a workaround for this?
    >

    > Perhaps you could re-install RH 7.2, accepting the limitations. Then,
    > when it's installed, upgrade to a newer kernel, and perhaps a newer
    > fdisk, and other disk utilities and tools. The perhaps you can use the
    > full size of the disk. Just speculation, but I hope it'll work for
    > you.
    Perhaps he could hop to RedHat 7.3, which has a lot fewer patches
    needed, and install the latest 2.4.20 kernel from the start?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest