Professional Web Applications Themes

RedHat 9 installation with Promise Ultra 133 Controller - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I'm having problems installing RH9 on my system where the HD is connected to an on-board Promise Ultra 133 controller. The install complains that there is no HD and there does not appear to be any support for this in the driver list. Does anybody know where I can get a driver to let me do the install. There doesn't appear to be any on the Promise site that I could find. I have installed the system by switching the HD to an IDE channel but would prefer to run the system with the HD on the Promise controller. Also ...

  1. #1

    Default RedHat 9 installation with Promise Ultra 133 Controller

    I'm having problems installing RH9 on my system where the HD is
    connected to an on-board Promise Ultra 133 controller. The install
    complains that there is no HD and there does not appear to be any
    support for this in the driver list. Does anybody know where I can get
    a driver to let me do the install. There doesn't appear to be any on
    the Promise site that I could find. I have installed the system by
    switching the HD to an IDE channel but would prefer to run the system
    with the HD on the Promise controller.

    Also is there support for the GeForce 4 9200 graphics card and
    Logitech Navigator keyboard. Still got to go looking for these but if
    anybody knows it would save me some time.

    I'm also experiencing problems with the mouse. I have 3 systems hooked
    up through a Belkin KVM switch. When I run Windows there is no problem
    switching not was there a problem with one of the systems when it was
    running RH9 until I had to do a re-install. Now I get erratic mouse
    behaviour when I switch to any system running Linux and have to logout
    and back in to fix it. I've seen a few threads about this and was
    wondering if the problem has been fixed.

    Many thanks,

    George Nelson
    George Guest

  2. #2

    "George Nelson" <com> wrote in message

    Your fastest solution is to go out and spend $30 on a RAID card that
    actually works. Promise s the great throbbing wazoo of death by every
    metric except cheapest chipset for OEM manufacturers, which is why they use
    it. I'm completely serious. They claim Linux support, but are actually
    impossible to reach to get it, even for customers that buy thousands of
    motherboards.

    Now, can you tell us what the Promise chipset is? It should say at boot
    time: this will give a hint as to whether the RedHat installed kernel
    already is *supposed* to have support for it.

    Have you tried re-running the "mouseconfig" command from runlevel 1? You can
    switch to that by doing "telinit 1", even after the system is running. Also,
    are you using the latest updated kernel, rather than the CD installed one?
    There are some key security patches in it.

    Nico Guest

  3. #3

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <net> wrote in message news:<com>... [/ref]

    It is a Promise PDC20378 RAID controller

    > Have you tried re-running the "mouseconfig" command from runlevel 1? You can
    > switch to that by doing "telinit 1", even after the system is running. Also,
    > are you using the latest updated kernel, rather than the CD installed one?
    > There are some key security patches in it.[/ref]

    I believe it is probably the CD one - 2.4.20-8 Kernel. I downloaded
    the CD images from the net.

    George Nelson
    George Guest

  4. #4

    "George Nelson" <com> wrote in message
    news:<com>... [/ref]
    > [/ref]
    every [/ref]
    use

    > It is a Promise PDC20378 RAID controller[/ref]

    Ahh. Quite new, and therefore fairly unlikely for people to have figured out
    how to make it work. Time for web hunting, to see if someone's done it but
    hasn't gotten it into the Linux kernel source trees yet.

    > > Have you tried re-running the "mouseconfig" command from runlevel 1? You[/ref][/ref]
    can [/ref]
    Also, [/ref]
    one?

    > I believe it is probably the CD one - 2.4.20-8 Kernel. I downloaded
    > the CD images from the net.[/ref]

    Always do the updates, for security reasons if nothing else. There was a
    nasty problem with the rsync service and a local kernel exploit that is how
    the Debian fileservers and maybe the GNU fileservers got hacked into.....

    Nico Guest