Professional Web Applications Themes

RedHat 9 won't boot - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello everybody! On my laptop I have installed a triple boot system with w98, w2k an RedHat linux 9. This is done on a single hard drive. Unfortunately the drive is beginning to experience some hardware related problems and I can't boot into my linux system any longer. Below I have written the text at the display at boot time: VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem). Red Hat nash version 3.4.42 starting Loading jbd.o module Mounting /proc filesystem Creating block devices Creating root device Mounting root filesystem hda: dma_initr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error } hda: dma_initr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, ...

  1. #1

    Default RedHat 9 won't boot

    Hello everybody!

    On my laptop I have installed a triple boot system with w98, w2k an RedHat
    linux 9. This is done on a single hard drive.
    Unfortunately the drive is beginning to experience some hardware related
    problems and I can't boot into my linux system any longer.
    Below I have written the text at the display at boot time:

    VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    Red Hat nash version 3.4.42 starting
    Mounting /proc filesystem
    Creating block devices
    Creating root device
    Mounting root filesystem
    hda: dma_initr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    hda: dma_initr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=46679571,
    sector=4064
    end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06 (hda), sector=4064
    JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
    EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
    mount: error 22 mounting ext3
    pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed:2
    umount /initrd/proc failed:2
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 132k freed
    Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

    Is the above error recoverable, and if so how?
    I am new to linux and so far the only thing I've tried is booting linux into
    rescue mode. Without success.
    Are there any linux commands like dos scandisk and defrag one could use?

    Thank you in advance for your help!

    Håkan

    Håkan Larsson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RedHat 9 won't boot

    Are you sure you are having hardware problems? Are there any other symptoms
    than not being able to boot into linux? You can disregard the drive seek
    errors,etc. they are not necessarily in this case indicative of a hardware
    problem. Did this problem start after you did a kernel update? The latest
    RH9 kernel upgrade I did was unable to update lilo.conf properly via
    up2date. This was recent so maybe you had the same problem? I had to edit
    the lilo.conf file.
    In any case please post what action was done to bring this about(kernel
    upgrade, installed another os, etc.)and what you are using as a boot
    manager so that we only have to give you one way to get into your root
    filesystem so that you can edit the appropriate conf file.

    Basically it seems that you will either need to boot an alternative kernel
    or from a rescue disk or the installation disk and edit either lilo.cof or
    grub.conf.

    > On my laptop I have installed a triple boot system with w98, w2k an RedHat
    > linux 9. This is done on a single hard drive.
    > Unfortunately the drive is beginning to experience some hardware related
    > problems and I can't boot into my linux system any longer.
    > Below I have written the text at the display at boot time:
    >
    > VFS: Mounted root (ext2 filesystem).
    > Red Hat nash version 3.4.42 starting
    > Mounting /proc filesystem
    > Creating block devices
    > Creating root device
    > Mounting root filesystem
    > hda: dma_initr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    > hda: dma_initr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=46679571,
    > sector=4064
    > end_request: I/O error, dev 03:06 (hda), sector=4064
    > JBD: IO error reading journal superblock
    > EXT3-fs: error loading journal.
    > mount: error 22 mounting ext3
    > pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, /sysroot/initrd) failed:2
    > umount /initrd/proc failed:2
    > Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel
    >
    > Is the above error recoverable, and if so how?
    > I am new to linux and so far the only thing I've tried is booting linux
    > into rescue mode. Without success.
    > Are there any linux commands like dos scandisk and defrag one could use?
    David Guest

  3. #3

    "Timothy Murphy" <timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> skrev i meddelandet
    > Håkan Larsson wrote:
    >
    > > On my laptop I have installed a triple boot system with w98, w2k an
    RedHat
    > > linux 9. This is done on a single hard drive.
    > > Unfortunately the drive is beginning to experience some hardware related
    > > problems and I can't boot into my linux system any longer.
    > > Are there any linux commands like dos scandisk and defrag one could use?
    >
    > I'd get tomsrtbt -- Linux on a floppy --
    > and see if it can mount your partitions.
    > You could run fsck (or e2fsck) on these partitions
    > when they are not mounted.

    Hello Timothy!

    I booted into rescue mode and ran fsck.ext3 whith the following result:

    #fsck.ext3 -n /dev/hda6
    e2fsck 1.32 (09-Nov-2002)
    /: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while
    reading block 508

    /: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read reading
    journal superblock

    fsck.ext3: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read
    while checking ext3 journal for /

    Do you have additional suggestions on what I can do to get into the system
    again?

    --
    Håkan

    Håkan Larsson Guest

  4. #4

    David wrote:
    > Are you sure you are having hardware problems? Are there any other
    > symptoms than not being able to boot into linux? You can disregard the
    > drive seek errors,etc. they are not necessarily in this case indicative of
    > a hardware problem.
    I'm no guru, but it looks like a disk problem to me;
    and my experience is that once disk problems start they don't go away.

    However, I'd still recommend what I did before --
    to get tomsrtbt -- it's easy to find with google, and you can download it.
    Using the RedHat CD in rescue mode (answering boot: linux rescue)
    is more or less the same, but I find tomsrtbt easier to use.
    (Another option would be to use the Knoppix CD,
    if you know anyone with one.)
    If tomsrtbt says there is something wrong with the partition
    then I'd think of getting another drive.
    Though if you could mount the partition
    you might be able to rescue most of the stuff on it.

    I notice you are using the journalling program jbd as a module
    which might conceivably cause problems --
    I think it is usually recommended to have it in the kernel proper --
    but if that was the cause tomsrtbt would see the partition OK.

    Sorry I'm not really much use, or optimistic.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    e-mail: [email]timbirdsnest.maths.tcd.ie[/email]

  5. #5

    Hello David!

    I am quite sure the problems are hardware related. The error did not start
    after a kernel upgrade or similar situation.
    The w98 and w2k systems are also having problems. When I run scandisk and
    defrag on those systems more sectors are marked as bad and more files are
    lost every time.
    A few times the bios has halted on boot with error messages regarding the
    hard drive.

    I am using grub as boot manager.
    As you can se in my answer to Timothy I have been able to boot into rescue
    mode and I have done a fsck.ext3. So far without any result.

    If you have more ideas or need more info, please put a posting here!

    --
    Håkan

    news:6ec1b.5620$Nc.3510840news1.news.adelphia.net ...