Professional Web Applications Themes

RedHat Linux 6.1 setup hangs - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, I've got a new(er) machine that I want to install Linux onto. The machine is a Celeron 1.7GHz. When I run the RedHat setup, I configure the basic stuff, like timezone, root password, and a couple of user accounts. Then it goes to the "Installing Packages" screen, and just hangs. It shows 0 packages for the entire list, although it never even asked me which packages I wanted to install. I've tried installing via GUI setup and text setup, and both have a similar problem, although I don't get as far in the text setup. When I rebooted the ...

  1. #1

    Default RedHat Linux 6.1 setup hangs

    Hello,

    I've got a new(er) machine that I want to install Linux onto. The machine
    is a Celeron 1.7GHz.

    When I run the RedHat setup, I configure the basic stuff, like timezone,
    root password, and a couple of user accounts. Then it goes to the
    "Installing Packages" screen, and just hangs. It shows 0 packages for the
    entire list, although it never even asked me which packages I wanted to
    install.

    I've tried installing via GUI setup and text setup, and both have a similar
    problem, although I don't get as far in the text setup.

    When I rebooted the machine, it still had Windows XP on it...I thought Linux
    was supposed to wipe out all the data on the HD? Apparently it never did
    that either.

    What is wrong? How do I solve this problem?

    - Dennis

    Dennis Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: RedHat Linux 6.1 setup hangs

    Dennis Jones <com> wrote:

    [..]

    You are using a pretty old distro on quite recent hw, it's a wonder
    that you get this far at all. I'd highly recommend a newer version.
    AFAIK RH 9.0 is the latest.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Dennis Jones wrote:

    .... get a newer distro
    ..
    Barach's Rule: An alcoholic is a person who drinks more
    than his own physician.

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

  5. #5

    FWIW, I tried installing FreeBSD too (the latest version available via ftp
    install -- Gee, why doesn't Linux offer this capability?), and it crashed
    with a signal 11...segmentation fault. I slowed down the memory bus speed,
    and got BSD to run. I retried installing Linux and it still fails at the
    same point. I may retry the FreeBSD installation from scratch.

    - Dennis

    "Dennis Jones" <com> wrote in message
    pretty
    over

    Dennis Guest

  6. #6

    Dennis Jones writes:

    It does.
    --
    John Hasler
    gt.org (John Hasler)

  7. #7

    "John Hasler" <gt.org> wrote in message

    > It does.[/ref]

    Not a man of many words, are you?

    Anyway, my second attempt at FreeBSD installed flawlessly, so it looks like
    I've just switched from Linux to become a FreeBSD user.

    - Dennis

    Dennis Guest

  8. #8

    Dennis Jones <com> wrote:

    > > It does.[/ref][/ref]

    What's to understand? All the distros that I can think of offhand have
    an ftp install and always have (well, slackware didn't use to - nfs
    instead - but I don't know about nowadays).. indeed, SuSE offers no
    other kind of install.

    Fine. But if you can't see the ftp install option under "medium" in the
    installs, you have a problem. Indeed a person who HAS TO DO an install,
    instead of simply blatting the stuff to disk, putting on a kernel,
    pointing the mbr to it and lighting the blue touch paper, has a problem.

    Peter
    P.T. Guest

  9. #9

    "P.T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message

    And if I were a Linux fanatic and knew all about the various distributions
    (as you apparently do), then I suppose I would have known that. But I'm
    not, and no other information was offered. It would have been *nice* to get
    a suggestion of where to look. If the previous poster had said what you
    just did, I would have looked for SuSE's install.
     [/ref]
    like

    > Fine. But if you can't see the ftp install option under "medium" in the
    > installs, you have a problem.[/ref]

    Maybe all the installs *you've* ever seen offers an FTP option, but the
    distribution CD *I* have for RH6.1 provides no such animal.

    Did I give the impression I knew what I was doing? If I did, I wouldn't be
    here looking for help, and a set of instructions like that wouldn't help
    either.

    - Dennis

    Dennis Guest

  10. #10

    Dennis Jones <com> wrote:

     [/ref]

    I know it because when you start an install and select "media type", ftp
    is one of the options. Indeed, if you simply read the install
    instructions for any distro within reasonable norms, you will find that
    ftp installs are catered for, as are installs from cdrom, floppy (well,
    no longer nowadays), and other hocus pocus.

    I have no exact idea of where you should look. "Beyond your nose" would
    be the only sensible thing I could think of for a thing so straight out
    in front of you as that! What did you look at when you booted the
    install cdrom or floppy and chose the "install media" from the list
    offered?

    Why? What's special about SuSE?
     [/ref]
    > like
    > >
    > > Fine. But if you can't see the ftp install option under "medium" in the
    > > installs, you have a problem.[/ref][/ref]

    They certainly do. Among other things, I have installed RH (certainly
    up to 4.2, I don't recall 6.1) via ftp, and it was an overnight job as
    I recall. I still have the cd somewhere, and can check .. well, why
    should I. But 6.1 must be about 5 years out of date now! What are you
    doing with that? It would never install itself on modern hardware in
    any sane way and was bugged to hell and back when it came out! How do
    you expect the install rpms for a 5 year old archived distro to still
    be on the net somewhere, just for you to download? What kind of
    time-warp are you in?
     [/ref]

    Why not? What's wrong with simply reverse engineering the package
    format, zapping it all to disk, then running all the post install
    scripts extracted from the packages? Then putting a kernel where you
    liked, then pointing your favorite boot loader at it. That's how I
    installed debian potato all those years ago!

    Peter
    P.T. Guest