Professional Web Applications Themes

REDHAT LINUX 9 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I keeps wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how. If you have any suggestion I would appreciate it....

  1. #1

    Default REDHAT LINUX 9

    Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very
    frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I keeps
    wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how. If you have any
    suggestion I would appreciate it.

    willie Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: REDHAT LINUX 9

    willie <alvy> wrote:
    > Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very
    > frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I keeps
    Then don't. You don't need "video drivers"!
    > wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how. If you have any
    Think about why you don't know how. Is it because you haven't read how?
    Is it because you haven't found out where to read how? Is it because
    you don't know how to find out where to read how?
    > suggestion I would appreciate it.
    See above. Man kill. Read the man page for your X server. Change to a
    text console with ctl-alt-f1. Start up in runlevel s. All those are
    good alternative solutions, but none of them will fix your basic
    problem.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 willie wrote:
    >Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very
    >frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I
    >keeps wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how.
    nVidia? Do as root on a terminal '/sbin/init 3' and after you installed
    it '/sbin/init 5'. 'man init' and 'cat /etc/inittab' for more details.

    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  4. #4

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > willie <alvy> wrote:
    >
    >>Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very
    >>frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I keeps
    >

    > Then don't. You don't need "video drivers"!
    Ahh, more bad advice from Peter. At least once set of video chipsets,
    those from NVidia, do vastly better with the vendor supplied drivers
    than with those already in any published Linux kernel. In some video
    carad/monitor configuration, they won't support X at all except by
    setting them to the most limited imaginable VGA setttings.
    >>wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how. If you have any
    >

    > Think about why you don't know how. Is it because you haven't read how?
    > Is it because you haven't found out where to read how? Is it because
    > you don't know how to find out where to read how?
    He's a newbie. And if he's got a system running with the X login setup,
    i.e. default running at runlevel 5 with the previous X configuration
    already up and running, he needs to change runlevel.

    I swear, Peter spends his weekends making up snorky incomplete answers
    just to make the newbies feel lonely and confused.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  5. #5

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> willie <alvy> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Imp trying to learn how to use Redhat Linux and it has been very
    >>>frustrating. I am having problems installing my video drivers. I keeps
    >>
    >> Then don't. You don't need "video drivers"!
    > Ahh, more bad advice from Peter. At least once set of video chipsets,
    G'way. Where do you get off with such snide remarks, indeed!
    > those from NVidia, do vastly better with the vendor supplied drivers
    No they don't. I have/had one on one of my portable. Both vesa and the
    standard nv worked just fine. And anyway, your advice is bad in
    general, whether or not it applies here, so it's bad advice , and thank
    you. Now just put your advice where your clap is.
    > than with those already in any published Linux kernel. In some video
    > carad/monitor configuration, they won't support X at all except by
    > setting them to the most limited imaginable VGA setttings.
    Utter pishwallop. And who cares, given that vesa works fine.
    >>>wanting me to shut down xserver but I don't know how. If you have any
    >>
    >> Think about why you don't know how. Is it because you haven't read how?
    >> Is it because you haven't found out where to read how? Is it because
    >> you don't know how to find out where to read how?
    > He's a newbie. And if he's got a system running with the X login setup,
    So he can do as recommended - "think", not "install drivers".

    When he's finished thinking then he can decide what to do. Doing then
    thinking is definitively the wrong order.

    And you can put your snooty little advice where it came from, thank
    you.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  6. #6

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> willie <alvy> wrote:
    >>

    > I swear, Peter spends his weekends making up snorky incomplete answers
    > just to make the newbies feel lonely and confused.
    I concur!
    Baho Utot Guest

  7. #7

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> No they don't. I have/had one on one of my portable. Both vesa and the
    >> standard nv worked just fine. And anyway, your advice is bad in
    >> general, whether or not it applies here, so it's bad advice , and thank
    >> you. Now just put your advice where your clap is.
    > Yes, they do. Try the new Toshiba 6100 series of laptop with a screen
    > resolution over 1280x1024, or a Geforce4 add-on card with a Mitsubishi
    > 2060 monitor at any setting over 800x600.
    The laptop will need special treatment, but should be fine with the
    vesa driver (I have two toshibas, and one of them is nvidia, but I
    forget which one ... anyway, I used vesa with it until a native driver
    appeared for card, and had no problems). The monitor is irrelevant to
    the question - you can always run a monitor at any speed you choose up
    to the cards maximum clock speed.
    > Inexperienced git.
    Keep your rude words to yourself and apply them to yourself. I've
    invented more modelines than you've had paydays.
    >> Utter pishwallop. And who cares, given that vesa works fine.
    > Because it doesn't. The Vesa drivers are pretty good, but far from
    It does. Not only does nobody care about "published modifications",
    "complete", or "up to date", but the driver works fine, by definition,
    just by the nature of things.
    > complete or up-to-date with the latest Nvidia published modifications.
    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  8. #8

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >

    >>>No they don't. I have/had one on one of my portable. Both vesa and the
    >>>standard nv worked just fine. And anyway, your advice is bad in
    >>>general, whether or not it applies here, so it's bad advice , and thank
    >>>you. Now just put your advice where your clap is.
    >

    >>Yes, they do. Try the new Toshiba 6100 series of laptop with a screen
    >>resolution over 1280x1024, or a Geforce4 add-on card with a Mitsubishi
    >>2060 monitor at any setting over 800x600.
    >

    > The laptop will need special treatment, but should be fine with the
    > vesa driver (I have two toshibas, and one of them is nvidia, but I
    > forget which one ... anyway, I used vesa with it until a native driver
    > appeared for card, and had no problems). The monitor is irrelevant to
    > the question - you can always run a monitor at any speed you choose up
    > to the cards maximum clock speed.
    Except that the *driver* doesn't support the higher speeds, unless you
    load the "nvidia" kernel driver and OpenGL libraries instead of merely
    the vesa driver. You've clearly never actually gotten the best out of
    your configurations.
    >>Inexperienced git.
    >

    > Keep your rude words to yourself and apply them to yourself. I've
    > invented more modelines than you've had paydays.
    And you've making them up out of the ether, instead of actually getting
    the best out of Nvidia chipsets.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  9. #9

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:

    >>>Yes, they do. Try the new Toshiba 6100 series of laptop with a screen
    >>>resolution over 1280x1024, or a Geforce4 add-on card with a Mitsubishi
    >>>2060 monitor at any setting over 800x600.
    >>

    >> The laptop will need special treatment, but should be fine with the
    >> vesa driver (I have two toshibas, and one of them is nvidia, but I
    >> forget which one ... anyway, I used vesa with it until a native driver
    >> appeared for card, and had no problems). The monitor is irrelevant to
    >> the question - you can always run a monitor at any speed you choose up
    >> to the cards maximum clock speed.
    > Except that the *driver* doesn't support the higher speeds, unless you
    The driver can't "not support" higher speeds - it's just a question of
    wibbling at the right wobble ratio. Well, your cpu may have some limit,
    but since standard pci bandwidth is 133MB/s, and AGP is either twice
    or 4 times that, well, anyway, 133MB/s would be about 90 frames/s
    at 1024x768 in 16bpp, so you can always run 1024x768 at, say 75
    frames/s in ordinary pci at 16bpp, and on the agp bus it's no strain at
    all.

    What's the driver supposed to be straining with? I.e., any old driver
    can do 1024x768 at 75 f/s in 15bpp. We know that - they did so on my
    old 486! That would be a clock speed of about 75MHz. Umm. Yes, all
    cards in the last 5 years at least have done that speed.
    > load the "nvidia" kernel driver and OpenGL libraries instead of merely
    Let me put it this way: "I do not believe you when you say that the
    ordinary nv driver cannot support a satisfactory video mode".
    > the vesa driver. You've clearly never actually gotten the best out of
    > your configurations.
    Why should I? I don't want "the best"! I want something that works. And
    I guess that's why I don't willingly buy nvidia.
    >>>Inexperienced git.
    >>
    >> Keep your rude words to yourself and apply them to yourself. I've
    >> invented more modelines than you've had paydays.
    > And you've making them up out of the ether, instead of actually getting
    Yeah - I make them up out of the ether alright. I put the sync where it
    ought to be, and I let the flyback have the time it needs. Just like
    what the monitor wants.

    Clue: the modeline is all about the monitor, nothing about the card.
    Actually, you want the slowest clockspeed that will get you a
    satisfactory frame rate for your eyes, because the card electronics is
    better the slower it goes and that will give you a steady picture from the
    card, and bright pixelization as a bonus, since the electron beam dwells
    longer on each pixel.

    So make sure you get the "worst" out of your card!

  10. #10

    Somewhere around Sun, 10 Aug 2003 21:28:03 GMT, while reading
    comp.os.linux.setup, I think I thought I saw this post from Nico
    Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net>:
    >I swear, Peter spends his weekends making up snorky incomplete answers
    >just to make the newbies feel lonely and confused.
    I can second that emotion. He's probably responsible for driving away more
    than his share of new users, by trying to make them feel dumb for making
    honest mistakes. He pretends everything is so simple, all you have to do is
    spend all your waking hours researching everything you want to do, and in
    only a few years, you'll be up and running!

    Personally, I find that it's easier to learn once you get started with using
    it, but obviously he can't handle that notion. Oh well, I'll let him be a
    legend in his own mind and ignore him.

    --
    marty [email]redhat9emjayef.com[/email]
    Press Enter to Exit...