Professional Web Applications Themes

Redhat or Mandrake - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to be either redhat or mandrake As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the appropiate for me Currently my system is Win XP pro booting from a SATA drive but will install linux on a new standard IDE drive all by itself The other question how do I boot from one OS or the other while the XP will be on one drive and linux on the other Thanks -- Trevor BROOKES...

  1. #1

    Default Redhat or Mandrake

    --
    Trevor BROOKES

    Shazbot Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Redhat or Mandrake

    Shazbot wrote:
    > Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to be
    > either redhat or mandrake
    >
    > As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    > appropiate for me
    Both about the same
    > The other question how do I boot from one OS or the other while the XP
    > will be on one drive and linux on the other
    The installer should set up a boot manager that will prompt you when you
    turn the PC on.

    --
    David Dorward [url]http://dorward.me.uk/[/url]
    David Dorward Guest

  3. #3

    Shazbot wrote:
    > Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to be
    > either redhat or mandrake
    >
    > As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    > appropiate for me
    Flip a coin. Seriously, at this stage it's all going to seem strange to you
    and the differences between these two distributions would be almost
    invisible in comparison.

    > Currently my system is Win XP pro booting from a SATA drive but will
    > install linux on a new standard IDE drive all by itself
    >
    > The other question how do I boot from one OS or the other while the XP
    > will be on one drive and linux on the other
    [url]http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+Windows-HOWTO/index.html[/url]

    That is a "HOWTO." It should serve to get you started finding the answers
    to your questions.

    > Thanks

    Jim Bowering Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, 12 Aug 2003 01:02 David Dorward spake of :
    > Shazbot wrote:
    >
    >> Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to
    >> be either redhat or mandrake
    >>
    >> As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    >> appropiate for me
    >
    > Both about the same
    With Mandrake having slightly better gui tools, but Redhat having a bit more
    power under the hood so to speak.

    --
    Want to spread virii, then make sure you use Outlook express.
    Thor Guest

  5. #5

    Jim Bowering wrote:
    >Shazbot wrote:
    >
    >>Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to be
    >>either redhat or mandrake
    >>
    >>As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    >>appropiate for me
    >>

    >Flip a coin. Seriously, at this stage it's all going to seem strange to you
    >and the differences between these two distributions would be almost
    >invisible in comparison.

    As a linux newbie, I don't agree with that, I've tried both redhat 7.3
    and mandrake 8.0 and I consider the mandrake to be easier to use and to
    go around with. their software manager app is especially important to
    the beginner I still am. The thing I've learned after a lot of mistakes
    is you should always read carefully doentation before taking steps
    with linux, which isn't usually required with windows. Especially if you
    try to compile a new program, read carefully what addon programs are
    required and strictly do what is said. But as a matter of fact, you'll
    probably have to make your own mistakes...it's very interesting but
    takes a lot of time in the beginning, although installation and standard
    use of the already installed software is pretty straightforward with all
    of these new distributions. Also if you find a new program which you'd
    like to install, always look for the binary rpm file (rpmfind.net)
    before trying to compile sources.
    cheers and good luck,
    Jacques

    charroy jacques Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for all your help

    Have just bought and installes Mandrake 9.1

    Boy is Linux complicated, XP is far easier, or so it seems, for exemple
    installing programs is far harder the on XP

    But I shall keep on trying

    Again thanks to all
    "charroy jacques" <jcharroyclub-internet.fr> a écrit dans le message de
    > Jim Bowering wrote:
    >
    > >Shazbot wrote:
    > >
    > >>Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to
    be
    > >>either redhat or mandrake
    > >>
    > >>As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    > >>appropiate for me
    > >>

    > >Flip a coin. Seriously, at this stage it's all going to seem strange to
    you
    > >and the differences between these two distributions would be almost
    > >invisible in comparison.
    > >
    > As a linux newbie, I don't agree with that, I've tried both redhat 7.3
    > and mandrake 8.0 and I consider the mandrake to be easier to use and to
    > go around with. their software manager app is especially important to
    > the beginner I still am. The thing I've learned after a lot of mistakes
    > is you should always read carefully doentation before taking steps
    > with linux, which isn't usually required with windows. Especially if you
    > try to compile a new program, read carefully what addon programs are
    > required and strictly do what is said. But as a matter of fact, you'll
    > probably have to make your own mistakes...it's very interesting but
    > takes a lot of time in the beginning, although installation and standard
    > use of the already installed software is pretty straightforward with all
    > of these new distributions. Also if you find a new program which you'd
    > like to install, always look for the binary rpm file (rpmfind.net)
    > before trying to compile sources.
    > cheers and good luck,
    > Jacques

    Shazbot Guest

  7. #7

    Shazbot wrote:
    > Boy is Linux complicated, XP is far easier, or so it seems, for exemple
    > installing programs is far harder the on XP
    Its a combination of learning curve (Installing and uninstalling things on
    Linux is easier, but you have to know how to go about it first), and that
    you have probably been using Windows for years (not harder, just
    different).

  8. #8

    Shazbot wrote:

    >>Boy is Linux complicated, XP is far easier, or so it seems, for exemple
    >>installing programs is far harder the on XP
    it's been said before, i agree completely: Windoze is for those who just
    want to get a few things working, it hides operational detail from the
    end-user; Linux is for hackers, and you need to know much more about
    what you're doing and how things work. my personal opinion: MS Windows
    is 'toyware', reliability and security are an afterthought. Unix, Linux
    and variants are the real thing.

    jmw Guest

  9. #9

    I've used MS operating systems since DOS, and just started using Linux
    6 months ago. I've found Linux to be more stable, more reliable, and
    easier in every conceivable way. Yes, there is a learning curve. But
    I'm running Apache with 3 virtual domains, complete e-mail service
    including webmail, and streaming with RealAudio. It never crashes, and
    has been an all around great experience.

    I used Redhat, and have done versions 7 & 8. I actually found it to be
    easier than Mandrake, but each to his only. My only suggestion is that
    until you get some experience, stick with the packages from whichever
    vendor you choose. I had someone help me, and he preferred something
    else besides sendmail and the DNS server Redhat includes - installing
    these was quite a bit more complicated to the uninitiated user.
    Nick Kasoff Guest

  10. #10

    On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 14:13:48 +0200, Shazbot <REMOVEMEcdmailcdmail.fr> wrote:

    > Will try installing one of these systems very soon, the choice seems to be
    > either redhat or mandrake
    >
    > As a complete beginner to Linux (never even seen it) which would be the
    > appropiate for me
    >
    > Currently my system is Win XP pro booting from a SATA drive but will install
    > linux on a new standard IDE drive all by itself
    >
    > The other question how do I boot from one OS or the other while the XP will
    > be on one drive and linux on the other
    >
    > Thanks

    Debian or Slackware

    Alan C
    Alan Connor Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Shazbot Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Shazbot Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:15:54 +0200, Shazbot <REMOVEMEcdmailcdmail.fr> wrote:

    > I actually tried debian, but couldn't get past the 'dos' page and the
    > quetions asked about root and user password were far more complicated the
    > the mandrake version which I got up and running straight away
    >
    > I think that most questions are due to the fact that users 'me for instance'
    > come Bill Gates world and the two systems are so so different
    >
    > I am having trouble just trying to understand how linux works and trying to
    > update or install prgrams
    >
    > again
    >
    > Thanks

    They are very different systems all right.

    Give this fine e-book a look see:

    http:/rute.sourceforge.net

    The first 9 chapters are a great introductory course.

    Alan C

    Alan Connor Guest