Professional Web Applications Themes

redhat server - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

recently i replaced redhat9.0 workstation with redhat9.0 server. i noticed my computer has become very slow in comparison when it was in workstation mode. can anyone tell how can i improve the speed of the server? thanks...

  1. #1

    Default redhat server

    recently i replaced redhat9.0 workstation with redhat9.0 server. i
    noticed my computer has become very slow in comparison when it was in
    workstation mode. can anyone tell how can i improve the speed of the
    server?

    thanks
    gamalt Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: redhat server

    gamalt wrote:

    With the vast amount of information you have provided, I suggest that you
    reinstall the workstation version.

    --
    Paul Lutus
    http://www.arachnoid.com

    Paul Guest

  3. #3

    gamalt wrote:

    .... first you have to research the reasons WHY it is slower.
    more than likely, which almost shouldnt make a difference,
    is that you might have a multitude of server daemons running.
    but really, you need to do some statistical ysis
    ..
    Sauron is alive in Argentina!

    mjt Guest

  4. #4

    mjt <com> wrote in message news:<pgHhb.5298$news.pas.earthlink.net>...

    > ... first you have to research the reasons WHY it is slower.
    > more than likely, which almost shouldnt make a difference,
    > is that you might have a multitude of server daemons running.
    > but really, you need to do some statistical ysis
    > .[/ref]

    thank you for your reply. However, how do i do statistical ysis?
    what tools in redhat should i use? i want to tell you some symptoms of
    slowness program takes longer to open. when i type, letters take time
    to show and it gives an impression that you do not type.
    gamalt Guest

  5. #5

    gamalt <com> wrote:

    > > ... first you have to research the reasons WHY it is slower.
    > > more than likely, which almost shouldnt make a difference,
    > > is that you might have a multitude of server daemons running.
    > > but really, you need to do some statistical ysis
    > > .[/ref]
    >
    > thank you for your reply. However, how do i do statistical ysis?[/ref]

    Gather some stats, then yse them.

    None.

    Then get some stats and show us them, or the ysis!

    This is extremely unlikely. It suggests you are talking about
    networking rather than anything else. Does your hostname and domain
    resolve?

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  6. #6

    On 10 Oct 2003 16:17:07 -0700, com (gamalt) wrote:

    First thing you should do is see what's running - use ps -lax
    I don't know who, if anyone, made the decision about what Redhat
    starts by default, but whoever it was wasn't sane by my standards. 2
    different chinese translation services start by default, for example.

    You also need to deal with the question "What EXACTLY is it slow at?"
    network I/O, disk I/O, video draw... yada-yada. We aren't mind
    readers.

    Last point - I'm not familiar with redhat linux server, but with other
    server optimized OSs that I've used, they are slow when you use them
    as workstations because they're optimized to be servers... If you
    wanted a workstation, why did you install a server OS?

    Mike-

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    gamalt wrote:

    Figure out what is using the resources.

    Are you using too much memory and paging a lot?
    If so, use less memory or buy more.

    Use chkconfig to stop running unneeded servers to save memory and
    compute power (and also reduce security risks).

    If you are running a telnet server, you may be infected. Make sure you
    turn it off before you first connect to the Internet. If you have
    already connected to the Internet, it may be safer to reinstall and
    disable the telnet daemon before connecting to the Internet. Also get
    Tripwire running correctly before connecting to the Internet.

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 10:20am up 2 days, 20:34, 3 users, load average: 2.05, 2.08, 2.12

    Jean-David Guest

  8. #8

    gamalt wrote:

    >>... first you have to research the reasons WHY it is slower.
    >>more than likely, which almost shouldnt make a difference,
    >>is that you might have a multitude of server daemons running.
    >>but really, you need to do some statistical ysis
    >>.[/ref]
    >

    > thank you for your reply. However, how do i do statistical ysis?
    > what tools in redhat should i use? i want to tell you some symptoms of
    > slowness program takes longer to open. when i type, letters take time
    > to show and it gives an impression that you do not type.[/ref]

    First thing to do is run top and set it to show processes in decreasing
    order of CPU usage. (P option).

    Second thing to do is run xosview and see CPU, memory, network,
    interrupt, etc., usage. Or vmstat. Try _vmstat 5_

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 10:25am up 2 days, 20:39, 3 users, load average: 2.20, 2.13, 2.11

    Jean-David Guest

  9. #9

    Peter T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote:
     [/ref]

    He doesn't know what to use...Easiest should be opening some xterm and
    starting 'top' for a first look. Another option would be to install/run
    sar.

    Random guess, his disk(s) are completely filled, he could try 'df -h'
    first.

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:
    > [/ref]

    > He doesn't know what to use...Easiest should be opening some xterm and
    > starting 'top' for a first look. Another option would be to install/run
    > sar.[/ref]

    Can't tell from here. I'm just looking for some concrete statement of
    fact to look at.

    Good idea. Top also, I presume. Want him to run netperf to himself ;-)?

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  11. #11

    gamalt wrote:

    it means to gather statistics and then yze those to
    arrive at some conclusions

    this could be a number of things: either the keyboard is
    misconfigured or could be something network related. you've
    really not given us ANY information about your system to
    even THINK about ysis.

    when you are typing:
    which runlevel are you in?
    what program are you using?
    does it act the same in a shell?
    if you are at runlevel 1, is the behaviour the same?
    if you are at runlevel 3, is the behaviour the same?
    if you are at runlevel 5, at terminal one,
    is the behaviour the same?
    if you are at runlevel 5, at a windowed shell,
    is the behaviour the same?
    ..
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change
    the subject. - Winston Churchill

    mjt Guest

  12. #12

    Peter T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote: [/ref]

    Yep, there aren't any...
     [/ref]

    LOL...There was AFAIR no mention about network problems, why not start
    over with a complete run of 'lmbench'.;)

    BTW
    Did you perhaps run netperf on GB LAN, with jumbo frames enabled?
    Just curious about how much throughput one could get.

  13. #13

    Michael Heiming <michael+heiming.de> wrote:

    No, never. People on the enbd mailing list have, however.

    No idea!

    Peter
    Peter Guest

  14. #14

    Peter T. Breuer <it.uc3m.es> wrote: [/ref]

    Interesting.
     [/ref]

    From reading a little bit, it looks like the TCP implementation as
    of 2.4.20 isn't optimized for GB lan. But then I'll try it out
    and check, if I find the time.;)

  15. #15

    "Peter T. Breuer" <it.uc3m.es> wrote in message news:<it.uc3m.es>...

    > > thank you for your reply. However, how do i do statistical ysis?[/ref]
    >
    > Gather some stats, then yse them.

    > None.

    > Then get some stats and show us them, or the ysis!

    > This is extremely unlikely. It suggests you are talking about
    > networking rather than anything else. Does your hostname and domain
    > resolve?
    >
    > Peter[/ref]

    it could be the reason. but how do i make sure it is the one? . And if
    it is, how can i adjust it?
    thanks
    gamalt Guest

  16. #16

    gamalt wrote:

    > .... solaris ?!?!?!??!? hey man, pass it around and put
    > a clip on it first :)[/ref]

    I've done it. SunOS 4.x and Linux 5.2, on an IPC....

    Nico Guest

  17. #17

    gamalt <com> wrote:

    > it could be the reason. but how do i make sure it is the one?[/ref]

    You look.

    You think, then do it.

    Peter
    Peter Guest