Professional Web Applications Themes

redhat up2date - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept and install all updates automatically?...

  1. #1

    Default redhat up2date

    Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    and install all updates automatically?
    john bailo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: redhat up2date

    On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 16:03:01 -0700, john bailo wrote:
    > Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    > and install all updates automatically?
    heathen!

    You can enable that 'feature' by paying a few extra dollars. Login to
    redhat network, you should find insturctions about automatic errata
    there...

    CL
    CL [dnoyeB] Gilbert Guest

  3. #3

    john bailo wrote:
    > Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    > and install all updates automatically?
    crontab an entry for 'up2date -fu'

    I certainly don't recommend this though. You should never 'blindly'
    accept updates, bad things can happen. You should always read the
    erratas before patching things.

    Pham Nuwen Guest

  4. #4

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 01:00:48 GMT, Pham Nuwen
    <privateaddress1libertydice.org> wrote:
    >john bailo wrote:
    >> Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    >> and install all updates automatically?
    >
    >crontab an entry for 'up2date -fu'
    >
    >I certainly don't recommend this though. You should never 'blindly'
    >accept updates, bad things can happen. You should always read the
    >erratas before patching things.
    Good advice. I have a "/etc/cron.daily/up2datecheck" that goes like
    this;

    ########### Start up2datecheck ############
    #!/bin/sh
    up2date -l | mail -s "Up2Date check" root
    exit 0
    ########### end #############

    It checks for updates and sends me an Email of the result. I can then
    make up my own mind what to do.

    Rich Piotrowski

    To reply via E-Mail use rpiotro(at)wi(dot)rr(dot)com
    Rich Piotrowski Guest

  5. #5

    john bailo wrote:
    > Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    > and install all updates automatically?
    Dump it and use "autorpm", from [url]www.autorpm.org[/url]. It's a quite
    configurable little tool that is rather more flexible and friendly,
    contacting your available FTP mirrors and looking among them for updates.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    CL [dnoyeB] Gilbert Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Vwakes wrote:
    > On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 Pham Nuwen wrote:
    >>john bailo wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just
    >>> accept and install all updates automatically?
    >>
    >>crontab an entry for 'up2date -fu'
    >>
    >>I certainly don't recommend this though. You should never 'blindly'
    >>accept updates, bad things can happen. You should always read the
    >>erratas before patching things.
    >
    > Agree with that. Maybe you should enable rollbacks just in case if the
    > updates aren't stable you can switch back to the original with just one
    > command. Anyway, the updates aren't that frequent to warrant an
    > auto update or are they?.
    >
    > V.
    How do you enable and use rollbacks?
    I did not know there was such a feature, and the man page for up2date has no
    info. In fact, I completed some RHN survey a few weeks ago, and i recall a
    question where rollback was mentioned, as in would it be a good new
    feature? From your comment, it would seem it is already available.
    ~RodgerH
    RodgerH Guest

  8. #8

    On 8 Aug 2003 16:03:01 -0700, [email]jabailoearthlink.net[/email] (john bailo)
    wrote:
    >Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    >and install all updates automatically?
    up2date -uf

    HOWEVER - Don't do it. Look into apt-get (google should get you
    there, I don't have a pointer handy). Pay special attention to
    'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I wish someone had told me about it before I
    paid for the redhat subscription.

    Mike-

    If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.
    Michael W. Cocke Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 9 Aug 2003 RodgerH wrote:
    >Vwakes wrote:
    >>
    >> Maybe you should enable rollbacks just in case if the updates aren't
    >> stable you can switch back to the original with just one command.
    >
    >How do you enable and use rollbacks?
    I have this in /etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date

    enableRollbacks[comment]=Determine if up2date should create rollback rpms
    enableRollbacks=1

    After updates, to list the updates you do

    # up2date --list-rollbacks

    and then to 'undo' or 'rollback' an update, you do

    # up2date --undo

    I am not sure whether it can only do an undo of the last update or
    several updates before the last one too.
    >I did not know there was such a feature, and the man page for up2date
    >has no info.
    Yep. The man page doesn't explain much tho.
    >In fact, I completed some RHN survey a few weeks ago, and i recall a
    >question where rollback was mentioned, as in would it be a good new
    >feature? From your comment, it would seem it is already available.
    Yep. It's there already and I use version:

    # rpm -q up2date
    up2date-3.1.23-1

    V.
    Vwakes Guest

  10. #10

    Michael W. e wrote:
    > On 8 Aug 2003 16:03:01 -0700, [email]jabailoearthlink.net[/email] (john bailo)
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    >>and install all updates automatically?
    >

    > up2date -uf
    >
    > HOWEVER - Don't do it. Look into apt-get (google should get you
    > there, I don't have a pointer handy). Pay special attention to
    > 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I wish someone had told me about it before I
    > paid for the redhat subscription.
    The 4 or so various apt-get wannabe packages written to fake apt-get
    behavior under RedHat have never worked for me. Usually they don't even
    *compile*, because the authors had made their systems extremely
    non-standard with odd libraries and components before even writing the
    tarballs or RPM's for it, and didn't note the dependencies.

    Like the modem tool of the week which newbies invariably pump out while
    learning to program, none of them have been worth using yet. If someone
    knows one that actually works with a vanilla RedHat 8.0 or 9 system, I'd
    *love* to hear about it.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  11. #11

    On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 16:00:50 GMT, Nico Kadel-Garcia
    <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    >Michael W. e wrote:
    >
    >> On 8 Aug 2003 16:03:01 -0700, [email]jabailoearthlink.net[/email] (john bailo)
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is there a way to automate the redhat 'up2date' process to just accept
    >>>and install all updates automatically?
    >>

    >> up2date -uf
    >>
    >> HOWEVER - Don't do it. Look into apt-get (google should get you
    >> there, I don't have a pointer handy). Pay special attention to
    >> 'apt-get dist-upgrade'. I wish someone had told me about it before I
    >> paid for the redhat subscription.
    >
    >The 4 or so various apt-get wannabe packages written to fake apt-get
    >behavior under RedHat have never worked for me. Usually they don't even
    >*compile*, because the authors had made their systems extremely
    >non-standard with odd libraries and components before even writing the
    >tarballs or RPM's for it, and didn't note the dependencies.
    >
    >Like the modem tool of the week which newbies invariably pump out while
    >learning to program, none of them have been worth using yet. If someone
    >knows one that actually works with a vanilla RedHat 8.0 or 9 system, I'd
    >*love* to hear about it.
    The one that I use (which worked perfectly right out of the box) can
    be found here -

    [url]http://ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/redhat/9/apt/[/url]

    Don't need to compile - just download the appropriate binary for your
    OS and go.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    Michael W. Cocke Guest