Professional Web Applications Themes

Redhat80 and IceWM - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Gil <gjlap> wrote: > Howdy group, > KDE and Gnome are bogging down my system so I thought I'd try IceWM. I'd try fvwm or/and enlightment. Hint: man switchdesk -- Michael Heiming Remove +SIGNS and www. if you expect an answer, sorry for inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Redhat80 and IceWM

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Heiming Guest

  2. #2

    Gil wrote:
    > KDE and Gnome are bogging down my system so I thought I'd try IceWM.
    > But when I executed the configure script it cacked and told me,
    > Configure your X server to support XFreetype, the RELNOTES for XFree86
    > will explain how to do this.
    >
    > But I checked and I _did_ install all the X stuff I needed.
    .... not trying to steer you in another direction, but if you want
    a good lightweight WM, try blackbox. oh, hint:
    [url]http://rpmfind.net/linux/RPM/rawhide/1.0/ia64/RedHat/RPMS/switchdesk-3.9.8-15.ia64.html[/url]
    i was able to find that with: "G O O G L E"
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Nasrudin returned to his village from the imperial capital, and the
    villagers gathered around to hear what had passed. "At this time,"
    said Nasrudin, "I only want to say that the King spoke to me." All the
    villagers but the stupidest ran off to spread the wonderful news. The
    remaining villager asked, "What did the King say to you?" "What he
    said -- and quite distinctly, for everyone to hear -- was 'Get out of
    my way!'" The simpleton was overjoyed; he had heard words actually
    spoken by the King, and seen the very man they were spoken to.

    mjt Guest

  3. #3

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 Gil wrote:
    >KDE and Gnome are bogging down my system so I thought I'd try IceWM.
    >But when I executed the configure script it cacked and told me,
    >Configure your X server to support XFreetype, the RELNOTES for XFree86
    >will explain how to do this.
    /usr/share/doc/*

    rpm -q --changelog XFree86

    man -k XFree86

    HTH.
    Vwakes Guest

  4. #4

    [url]www.xfree86.org[/url] .

    --
    Registered Linux User # 125653 ([url]http://counter.li.org[/url]) | Please remove
    Certified: 55% , 31% of which is tard. | '.invalid'

  5. #5

    In article <1eed326b.0307070948.74cb5887posting.google.com >,
    [email]gjlap[/email] (Gil) writes:

    > KDE and Gnome are bogging down my system so I thought I'd try IceWM.
    > But when I executed the configure script it cacked and told me,
    > Configure your X server to support XFreetype, the RELNOTES for XFree86
    > will explain how to do this.
    >
    > But I checked and I _did_ install all the X stuff I needed.
    It sounds to me like you're trying to compile from source. If so, my
    hunch is that your problem is a missing development library. I've never
    compiled IceWM from source myself, though, so I don't know precisely what
    it requires or where you'd go to find it. As a starting point, though, I
    suggest checking to be sure you've got the XFree86-devel package
    installed. Simpler still, try installing a precompiled IceWM RPM; they
    aren't exactly hard to find. (I don't know offhand if one comes with RH
    8.0, though.)

    --
    Rod Smith, [email]rodsmithrodsbooks.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.rodsbooks.com[/url]

  6. #6

    Gil wrote:
    >>It sounds to me like you're trying to compile from source. If so, my
    >

    > Nope, zipped and tarred binary.
    >

    >>hunch is that your problem is a missing development library. I've never
    >>compiled IceWM from source myself, though, so I don't know precisely what
    >>it requires or where you'd go to find it. As a starting point, though, I
    >>suggest checking to be sure you've got the XFree86-devel package
    >>installed. Simpler still, try installing a precompiled IceWM RPM; they
    >>aren't exactly hard to find. (I don't know offhand if one comes with RH
    >>8.0, though.)
    >

    > The RPM was the first thing I tried but it complained about missing lib files.
    Which you should have installed before attempting to compile. That was a
    *hint* when it complained....

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  7. #7

    In article <1eed326b.0307081906.6401d98dposting.google.com >,
    [email]gjlap[/email] (Gil) writes:

    >> It sounds to me like you're trying to compile from source. If so, my
    >
    > Nope, zipped and tarred binary.
    Where did you get it? The IceWM Web page has only the source code tarball
    and RPM binaries. Plus which, most binaries don't include a script called
    "configure", but many source code packages (including IceWM) do. You
    might be mistaken about what you got.
    >> Simpler still, try installing a precompiled IceWM RPM; they
    >> aren't exactly hard to find. (I don't know offhand if one comes with RH
    >> 8.0, though.)
    >
    > The RPM was the first thing I tried but it complained about missing lib files.
    Then locate the missing libraries and install them. If you're having
    troubles with that, go to [url]http://www.rpmfind.net[/url]. Type in the name of the
    missing library, and with any luck it'll spit back a bunch of sources for
    it. If you continue to have problems, report EXACTLY what the rpm utility
    says when you try to install an IceWM RPM.

  8. #8

    On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 08:36:21 -0400,
    Rod Smith <rodsmithnessus.rodsbooks.com> wrote:
    > In article <1eed326b.0307081906.6401d98dposting.google.com >,
    > [email]gjlap[/email] (Gil) writes:
    >>
    >>> It sounds to me like you're trying to compile from source. If so, my
    >>
    >> Nope, zipped and tarred binary.

    test

    comp@os.linux.setup Guest