Professional Web Applications Themes

Reducing Image Size - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Hi, I am trying to use PE to reduce by a factor of 50% the size of a screenshot image. The image is pretty much a flat colored background with text. The image is considerably degraded by this process. The text is made very fuzzy and almost impossible to read. I have tried all resampling settings and none are adequate. By comparison, I tried the same process with Macromedia Fireworks with markedly better results. I find it hard to accept that Photoshop is inferior to Fireworks. Any offers as to what I am doing wrong or how to improve the ...

  1. #1

    Default Reducing Image Size

    Hi,

    I am trying to use PE to reduce by a factor of 50% the size of a screenshot image. The image is pretty much a flat colored background with text. The image is considerably degraded by this process. The text is made very fuzzy and almost impossible to read. I have tried all resampling settings and none are adequate.

    By comparison, I tried the same process with Macromedia Fireworks with markedly better results.

    I find it hard to accept that Photoshop is inferior to Fireworks. Any offers as to what I am doing wrong or how to improve the results?
    Howard Miller Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Reducing Image Size

    In the toolbar>image>image size>resize, leave 'resample' off and reduce the image size. This should give you the results you desire.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks.. but... Tried that!

    Its much worse, you don't get the "fuzzy" effect, but the characters are now badly broken. It really is as if Photoshop has a problem with reducing the image size.
    Howard Miller Guest

  4. #4

    Howard, what's the format and original size and resolution of the image you're working with? If it's a screenshot, mine does those in JPEG and at 72ppi. That doesn't give me much to work with, but you might be getting something different. The fact you're describing the characters as "badly broken" makes me think pixelation. Text is very poor at 72ppi. And, what is it you want to do with this image? There might be another format you could use that would improve the quality. Give us a little more information, and maybe we can come up with a brilliant idea. Or not.

    Also keep in mind that Elements was originally designed for amateurs in digital imaging, and Adobe probably had people like me in mind - pictures from my digital camera and scans of old photos. Experimentation has shown Elements is capable of much more, but it could be that since you're working with text, there IS a program capable of doing a better job. Elements isn't perfect, just dam good. :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  5. #5

    I wonder if I am missing the point here. I am grabbing a screenshot of an Internet Explorer window - (I am actually running all this on Linux using Crossover office, but that shouldn't matter). The screengrabber saves the image in .png format. I assumed that the image grabber will just grab the image pixel-for-pixel, ie, there will be no reduction in quality from that displayed, which is pretty good with quite large characters. However, when I bring up the image size dialogue the resolution is stated at 72dpi.

    I want to reduce the images to a suitable size to display in a doent (to be printed at 300 dpi). The next step is that I save it as a TIF and import into a word doent.

    Just getting more confused now! I didn't want to reduce the pixel dimensions at all did I? I should have increased the resolution to suit the output medium - sigh!
    Howard Miller Guest

  6. #6

    "Howard Miller" <howard.millerudcf.gla.ac.uk> wrote in message
    > [...] I am grabbing a screenshot of an Internet Explorer
    > window - (I am actually running all this on Linux using
    > Crossover office, but that shouldn't matter). [...]
    >
    > Just getting more confused now! I didn't want to reduce
    > the pixel dimensions at all did I? I should have increased
    > the resolution to suit the output medium - sigh!
    You are inserting the picture into a Crossover Office doent? I haven't
    used that program, but if it's anything like any normal word processor, the
    resolution stored with the image doesn't really matter. It will be used to
    determine the default size of the image in the word processor, but you ought
    to be able to scale the image within the word processor doent to suit the
    doent as necessary, without changing the number of pixels in the image at
    all (which is what happens when you resize it in Elements).

    The image will go through yet another scaling step when it gets printed, to
    match the resolution implied by the image size in the doent to that of
    the printer. But that will be done with the maximum possible quality and
    will produce the best results. Much better than you removing resolution by
    shrinking the image before the fact.
    > I want to reduce the images to a suitable size to display in
    > a doent (to be printed at 300 dpi). The next step is that
    > I save it as a TIF and import into a word doent.
    What does this statement mean? You are composing the doent in something
    other than Word, and then creating a TIFF image from the entire doent
    which you then import into Word? If I read that right, that seems
    counter-productive to me. I hope I read it wrong. :)

    In any case, it doesn't sound to me like you need an image editing program
    at all. Not for what you're trying to accomplish. Just insert the picture
    into your doent, and then adjust the scaling *within* the doent editor
    so that the picture is the right size relative to the rest of the doent.
    You'll preserve all of the pixels that way, and the picture will be printed
    as best as it possibly can on whatever printer you wind up printing on.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks, you are more or less correct.

    FWIW I am using Microsoft Word and PE on Linux (clever!) using a product called Crossover Office.

    I needed to do some cropping and editing to the screenshots, but I didn't need to reduce the number of pixels, that was just me being stupid.

    I also need to provide the screenshots online. In this case I do indeed need to reduce them (which is how my confusion started I think).

    Thanks
    Howard Miller Guest