Professional Web Applications Themes

Reducing the size of the pasteboard - Adobe Indesign Windows

I have a client that has somehow got a huge pasteboard on a doent that she uses repeatedly. Does anyone know a way of reducing the size of the pasteboard? Margins are set to 0 Bleeds and slugs set to 0 There is nothing out side of the normal letter size page Nothing bleeds Any ides would be most welcome. Thanks John...

  1. #1

    Default Reducing the size of the pasteboard

    john_feld@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Reducing the size of the pasteboard

    You can easily set how much vertical space there is on the pasteboard in your preferences:

    Edit > Preferences > Guides & Pasteboard > Minimum Vertical Offset

    You can set that to as low as 0.

    HTH
    AG
    Alan_Gold@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Alan, this is the first place I went.
    This will set the offset when you start, but it will not reduce the size.
    To understand what is happening, (this is NOT what my client did):
    First make a doent 20" by 15" then create a box the same size as the page, centered on the page. Next reduce the page size in Doent Setup to Letter size, and delete the box.
    You will have a pasteboard the size of the doent. This is the situation she finds her self in. This large pasteboard is completely unresponsive to the Offset in Preferences.

  4. #4

    I believe the only way to do this is to export the doent in .inx format (InDesign Interchange format) and then open the exported doent.

    I've done this a number of times and so far the only known problem has to do with guides on master spreads. They come back only on the left page.

    I've taken to using this as a way of cleansing doents. They are dramatically smaller after this treatment.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Dave. You have done it again!
    Most excellent.
    Greatly reduced file size 5:1.5.
    Any idea what could have caused this to happen in the first place?
    She assures me that she has not made larger pages, and all objects pasted off the page were small and close.
    Thanks again, this time from both of us.

  6. #6

    That amount of saving suggests that you'd not been using Save As over the same file name to cleanse the files during use -- it's just that the inx thing seems to cleanse even more, usually saving about 25%.

    As to why the pasteboard thing happens, sorry, I've not a clue.

  7. #7

    inx save and reopen worked for me too, thank god! huge file I inherited (1.9gig indd file!) turned it into a 10MB file with normal sized pasteboards.
    thanks!!!!!!
    Unregistered Guest

  8. #8

    I hade the same problem.
    I used : Doent setup and chaged bleeds, after i return my old setting for bleeds and pasteboard is reduced without lose my settings for master page.
    stojkakoleva@yahoo.com Guest