Professional Web Applications Themes

Refresh/Redraw enhancements in IE/ASP.NET - ASP.NET General

In many of the presentations I've seen about ASP.NET there was talk about how on postbacks only the data that has changed gets redrawn in the browser. I'm looking for doentation on this feature so I can share it with my development staff but so far have been unable to find anything that discusses it. Do you know what I'm talking about and if so, where I can find online doentation? TIA! -- Tom Kaminski IIS MVP [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url] [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/[/url]...

  1. #1

    Default Refresh/Redraw enhancements in IE/ASP.NET

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running IIS
    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/[/url]

    Tom Kaminski [MVP] Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Refresh/Redraw enhancements in IE/ASP.NET

    As far as I know that is not true. I don't think ASP.NET can have any sort
    of effect on how the browser renders the HTML it receives.

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > In many of the presentations I've seen about ASP.NET there was talk about
    > how on postbacks only the data that has changed gets redrawn in the
    browser.
    > I'm looking for doentation on this feature so I can share it with my
    > development staff but so far have been unable to find anything that
    > discusses it. Do you know what I'm talking about and if so, where I can
    > find online doentation?
    >
    > TIA!
    >
    > --
    > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for running
    IIS
    > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/[/url]

    Marina Guest

  3. #3

    Not entirely sure what it is but I have read mention of a feature called
    SmartNavigation that helps stop the page 'flashing' when you reload/post.
    <% Page Language="vb" SmartNavigation=true AutoEventWireup...etc.

    [url]http://www.aspalliance.com/aspxtreme/sys/Web/UI/PageClassSmartNavigation.aspx[/url]

    Not sure if this is exactly what you were after though - I haven't used it
    yet myself.

    > I will admit that maybe I'm confused and that it's really a feature of IE.
    > Anyone?
    >
    > "Marina" <zlatkinamnospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > As far as I know that is not true. I don't think ASP.NET can have any
    > sort
    > > of effect on how the browser renders the HTML it receives.
    > >
    > > "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > > > In many of the presentations I've seen about ASP.NET there was talk
    > about
    > > > how on postbacks only the data that has changed gets redrawn in the
    > > browser.
    > > > I'm looking for doentation on this feature so I can share it with
    my
    > > > development staff but so far have been unable to find anything that
    > > > discusses it. Do you know what I'm talking about and if so, where I
    can
    > > > find online doentation?
    > > >
    > > > TIA!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    > > > [url]http://www.iistoolshed.com/[/url] - tools, scripts, and utilities for
    running
    > > IIS
    > > > [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/[/url]
    > > > [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/iis/[/url]

    ---

    Stu Guest

  4. #4

    There are numerous posts about SmartNavigation breaking ASP.NET. Be sure to
    take a look at them.
    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    "Stu" <stuartntpcl.uk.com> wrote in message
    > Not entirely sure what it is but I have read mention of a feature called
    > SmartNavigation that helps stop the page 'flashing' when you reload/post.
    > <% Page Language="vb" SmartNavigation=true AutoEventWireup...etc.

    [url]http://www.aspalliance.com/aspxtreme/sys/Web/UI/PageClassSmartNavigation.aspx[/url]

    > Not sure if this is exactly what you were after though - I haven't used it
    > yet myself.
    >

    > "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > > I will admit that maybe I'm confused and that it's really a feature of
    IE.
    > > Anyone?
    > >
    > > "Marina" <zlatkinamnospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > As far as I know that is not true. I don't think ASP.NET can have any
    > > sort
    > > > of effect on how the browser renders the HTML it receives.
    > > >
    > > > "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (AT) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message
    > > about
    > > > browser.
    > my
    > can

    > running
    > > > IIS
    > > > >

    > ---

    John Saunders Guest

  5. #5

    Yes, it is SmartNavigation -
    [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-[/url]
    us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopi
    c.asp

    When you turn it on ASP.Net puts the content that is
    going to be updated in iframes giving the appearance that
    the page is updating without POSTing back. Haven't used
    it myself, but apparently it's buggy.

    SmartNavigation.aspx

    wrote in message
    ASP.NET there was talk
    >> about
    gets redrawn in the
    >> > browser.
    can share it with
    >my
    find anything that
    and if so, where I
    >can

    >running
    >> > IIS

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/cente[/url]
    rs/iis/

    >---
    >Checked by AVG anti-virus system
    ([url]http://www.grisoft.com[/url]).
    30/07/2003

    >.

    Ed Allan Guest

  6. #6

    Ed,

    I didn't believe you when you mentioned the IFRAME, so I tried it. You were
    right!

    ASP.NET renders:

    <IFRAME ID=__hifSmartNav NAME=__hifSmartNav STYLE=display:none
    src="IEsmartnav1"></IFRAME>

    right after the body tag. It also renders a script tag looking for
    SmartNav.js. That's 9kb of complicated JavaScript, attaching handlers to the
    form submit event and others. I'm not sure, but I think I may have caught it
    actually moving my HTML into a new IFRAME! I wouldn't be shocked to find out
    that it doesn't work.

    I _would_ be shocked to find myself ever using it now that I see that I'd
    have 9kb worth of somebody else's code to worry about in addition to my own.
    Is that 9kb of script code doented anywhere? There's enough of it that it
    damn well ought to be doented!
    --

    "Ed Allan" <ed.allanejaconsulting_NOSPAM_.com> wrote in message
    > Yes, it is SmartNavigation -
    > [url]http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-[/url]
    > us/cpref/html/frlrfSystemWebUIPageClassSmartNavigationTopi
    > c.asp
    >
    > When you turn it on ASP.Net puts the content that is
    > going to be updated in iframes giving the appearance that
    > the page is updating without POSTing back. Haven't used
    > it myself, but apparently it's buggy.

    John Saunders Guest