Professional Web Applications Themes

regarding TOAST invisible files - Mac Applications & Software

I saw a discussion once about the invisible files that older versions of Toast adds to the burn. They can be seen by looking at the data before burning, but they are invisible on the burned disk. In older versions of Toast like the 3.5.6 that I have, they can't be deleted before burning. Since one of these is the HD's desktop file, this could compromise security if someone who possesses the burned disk digs it out with a utility. The advice given was to upgrade to a newer version of Toast where there's a choice to not burn these ...

  1. #1

    Default regarding TOAST invisible files

    I saw a discussion once about the invisible files that older versions
    of Toast adds to the burn. They can be seen by looking at the data
    before burning, but they are invisible on the burned disk. In older
    versions of Toast like the 3.5.6 that I have, they can't be deleted
    before burning. Since one of these is the HD's desktop file, this
    could compromise security if someone who possesses the burned disk digs
    it out with a utility.

    The advice given was to upgrade to a newer version of Toast where
    there's a choice to not burn these files on the disk.

    But I wonder if there is another choice? What if you had a partition
    on the disk with a bare bones system file and a copy of Toast. When
    the associated desktop file is added to the burned disk, it will
    contain only a small desktop file associated with that partition.

    Or will it?

    If so, then what is a bare bones system file? Would it be the one on
    the OS disk that has disk repair utilities and restore data that came
    with the computer? Can this system file be copied to a partition to be
    used in combination with with a Toast installation to slim down the
    desktop file? Or will the Toast program still grab the big desktop
    file on the other partition that someone might not want looked at by
    unauthorized persons?
    toasterboy Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: regarding TOAST invisible files

    >But I wonder if there is another choice? What if you had a partition

    That is correct.

    Burning from a disk image file accomplishes the same thing.

    It is not necessary to have any system at all--bare bones or otherwise--on a
    partition or a disk image file.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    In article <aol.com>, Tacit
    <com> wrote:

    > That is correct.
    >
    > Burning from a disk image file accomplishes the same thing.
    >
    > It is not necessary to have any system at all--bare bones or otherwise--on a
    > partition or a disk image file.[/ref]

    I don't understand what a disk image file is. If I put files and
    folders onto the window, it automatically selects "Mac Files &
    Folders." The only kind of disk image I know of is a disk I am
    copying. And it has a copy of the desktop directory in it.
    toasterboy Guest

  4. #4

    >I don't understand what a disk image file is.

    It is a virtual disk; it looks like a disk, acts like a disk, but it is
    actually a file on a hard drive.

    Toast calls a disk image a "temporary partition." You can create one with the
    "Create temporary partition" command.

  5. #5

    In article <aol.com>, Tacit
    <com> wrote:

    > It is a virtual disk; it looks like a disk, acts like a disk, but it is
    > actually a file on a hard drive.
    >
    > Toast calls a disk image a "temporary partition." You can create one with the
    > "Create temporary partition" command.[/ref]

    Okay, I've been playing around with this. I can create a temporary
    partition with the Toast 3.5.6 utility menu option "create temporary
    partition" and put files and folders into it, but when I drop it onto
    the Toast window it shows as "Mac Volume" not "Disk Image." And it has
    a "Desktop DB" on it that I can't open. This will have, I presume, the
    contents of the HD on it, including other OS's on other partitions?
    What I need is to be able to send CDs I burn to friends without a list
    of any other files on my HD. Perhaps I need another program to create
    something that looks and works like a disk.
    toasterboy Guest

  6. #6

    >Okay, I've been playing around with this. I can create a temporary

    Yes. To burn it as a disc image, you would choose "Disc Image" and then find
    the file on your hard disk that corresponds to that image.

    All volumes will have a Desktop database. This desktop database contains a
    record of icons and application bundles for the files on that volume. In the
    case of a disk image, it contains information about the files and folders you
    put on that image. It does not contain a record of files on other volumes or
    partitions.

    A partition created for that purpose or a disk image created for that purpose
    will accomplish what you want.

    That's what Toast's "Create Temporary Partition" command does...

  7. #7

    In article <aol.com>, Tacit
    <com> wrote:

    > Yes. To burn it as a disc image, you would choose "Disc Image" and then find
    > the file on your hard disk that corresponds to that image.

    > All volumes will have a Desktop database. This desktop database contains a
    > record of icons and application bundles for the files on that volume. In the
    > case of a disk image, it contains information about the files and folders you
    > put on that image. It does not contain a record of files on other volumes or
    > partitions.

    > A partition created for that purpose or a disk image created for that purpose
    > will accomplish what you want.

    > That's what Toast's "Create Temporary Partition" command does...[/ref]

    Okay, after seeing the folder on my desktop and trying to burn that as
    the disk image and, of course, failing, I decided to give it up for the
    time being since I had some other work to do. When I opened the hard
    drive I saw what you are talking about, a disk image file related to
    the earlier try. This was only about 10 minutes ago, and it is late,
    so I will wait until tomorrow to burn.

    Thanks very much for the information. You've practically turned my
    life around... :-) Best wishes.
    toasterboy Guest