Professional Web Applications Themes

Reinstallation problem - Adobe Acrobat Macintosh

Could someone help me please? iMac, OS X. Inadvertently I interrupted a OS X software update and had to reinstall the operating system which I did using the archive method (rather than the complete erase hard disk and start from scratch) (I don't understand the technicalities so may have got the terminology wrong). Unable to open Acrobat 9 Pro, I uninstalled both 8 Professional and the upgrade 9 Pro and reinstalled both. On each occasion, the installation asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing files and I said yes. Having reinstalled, I cannot get Acrobat 9 Pro to open. ...

  1. #1

    Default Reinstallation problem

    Could someone help me please? iMac, OS X. Inadvertently I interrupted a OS X software update and had to reinstall the operating system which I did using the archive method (rather than the complete erase hard disk and start from scratch) (I don't understand the technicalities so may have got the terminology wrong). Unable to open Acrobat 9 Pro, I uninstalled both 8 Professional and the upgrade 9 Pro and reinstalled both. On each occasion, the installation asked if I wanted to overwrite the existing files and I said yes. Having reinstalled, I cannot get Acrobat 9 Pro to open. (Everything was fine before I messed up the OS X update).

    I am wondering if the problem is that Acrobat 9 Pro is trying to open by reference to the corrupted files rather than the new folder created by the archive or is that nothing to do with it? Would it be better to start again from scratch, completely erase the hard disk and reinstall everything a fresh

    Photoshop CS3 has also requested I uninstall and reinstall because it cannot find some components. I don't want to do that until I understand what it is I should be doing.

    IndesignCS3 and Dreamweaver CS3 both seem to work okay

    Thank you
    Michael_Lever@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Reinstallation problem

    Michael,

    Is your Acrobat part of the CS Suite. If so you must open and activate
    another of the suite's components before Acrobat.

    You could have a corrupt preference file. To check for that create a new
    user and see if things work properly with the new user.

    If all else fails download the CS3 CleanScript and the re-install
    everything from the suite:

    <http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html>

    Mike
    Michael Kazlow Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for reply. No, it's not part of a suite, (as are none of other CS3's)

    If it's still possibly a corrupt preference file, which one would I delete and where would i find it?
    Michael_Lever@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    First, we need to determine if its a preference file problem. The
    easiest way to do that is to sign on as a different user.

    If that doesn't work, you can try to delete your cache to see if that is
    an issue. You can use something like Onyx or you can download Applejack.
    Applejack is a great utility for fixing issues on a Mac. It doesn't
    offer more functionality than Onyx, but has the advantage of being run
    before a full boot and therefore can fix problems that might prevent you
    from booting your Mac.

    Applejack can be found at <http://applejack.sourceforge.net>. It has
    just been updated for OS 10.5.

    Mike
    Michael Kazlow Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Mike,
    I'm giving some time later this week to sort it out and shall do as you suggest.

    Michael_Lever@adobeforums.com Guest