On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:40:45 +0200, Yong Huang wrote:
> I installed NT4 and RH Linux 6.2 before. They worked fine. I use lilo
> to dual boot. Then I messed up NT, spent a lot of time and finally
> repartitioned C drive and installed NT back on it (all using NT setup
Repartitioning an existsing system is not without danger.
Especially with windows tools. They hardly ever consider other OS's to
exist at all, let alone preserve them properly.
> disks). After I reboot and come to LILO boot: prompt, I wait a few
> seconds (or press Enter) as usual. I should boot into NT. But I get
> linux fine. Is it because I need to wipe out Linux and install NT,
> then Linux in that order?
>
> I suspect NT install ed up the first partition. Look at the
> warning "Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary":
>
> bash# fdisk -l /dev/hda #partition 7 is swap so it's OK
> Warning: ignoring extra data in partition table 7
> Warning: ignoring extra data in partition table 7
> Warning: ignoring extra data in partition table 7
> Warning: invalid flag 0x4042 of partition table 7 will be corrected by
> w(rite)
No it's not ok.
I'd be very unhappy with this.

on my system fdisk -l gives:

/dev/hda7 894 910 136521 82 Linux swap

What does cat /proc/filesystems have to say about hda7

Looks like your partitiontable is seriously messed-up

> Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 1244 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>
> Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 * 1 125 1003504 6 FAT16
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
> phys=(979, 63, 32) should be (979, 254, 63)
> /dev/hda2 126 349 1799280 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda3 350 731 3068415 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda4 732 1244 4120672+ 5 Extended
should preferably be of type 0x0F linux doesn't care, NT
shouldn't either, but older windows do.
> /dev/hda5 732 1023 2345458+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda6 1024 1211 1510078+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda7 ? 51222 106316 442540065 42 SFS
>
> And my lilo.conf is:
>
> boot=/dev/hda
> map=/boot/map
> install=/boot/boot.b
> prompt
> timeout=50
> linear
> default=dos
>
> image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14-5.0
> label=linux
> read-only
> root=/dev/hda5
> append="x86_serial_nr=1"
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=dos
I'd try rewriting lilo to the MBR (/sbin/lilo -v)
but keep a working bootfloppy nearby.
I suspect that eventually the only real solution is to backup
your data and reinstall both linux and windows.

Does the hda1 partition only contain NT or is there a DOS/Win9x product
on this machine too?

Eric