Professional Web Applications Themes

Relink error after disabling/enabling vnetint driver - SCO

Today I needed to create a smaller kernel for emergency backup media (long story). I figured the easier way to shrink the kernel was to disable a few non-essential drivers via /etc/conf/sdevice.d One of the driver sets I disabled was for Merge, which involved multiple interdependent drivers (merge, mpip, svdsp, svkbd, vdsp, vgic, vkbd, vmouse, vnet, vnetd, vnetint and vw). For each of these drivers, I changed the Y to N in each file, ran link_unix, and chose *not* to install the new kernel. After I was done, I went back and changed all the N's to Y's to re-enable ...

  1. #1

    Default Relink error after disabling/enabling vnetint driver

    Today I needed to create a smaller kernel for emergency backup media (long
    story).
    I figured the easier way to shrink the kernel was to disable a few
    non-essential
    drivers via /etc/conf/sdevice.d

    One of the driver sets I disabled was for Merge, which involved multiple
    interdependent drivers (merge, mpip, svdsp, svkbd, vdsp, vgic, vkbd,
    vmouse, vnet, vnetd, vnetint and vw). For each of these drivers, I changed
    the Y to N in each file, ran link_unix, and chose *not* to install the new
    kernel.

    After I was done, I went back and changed all the N's to Y's to re-enable
    these drivers. But when I went to relink the kernel, I got the error msg:

    kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers for node /dev/vnetint

    According to google, this subject has come up before, but without any
    definitive answer as to why. I ended up restoring the contents of
    /etc/conf/cf.d from last night's backup, and that solved the problem.
    But for the life of me, I can't figure out which file was altered to cause
    this problem in the first place. The likely culprit, mdevice, hadn't
    changed. The remaining ones in cf.d are either created on the fly
    when you relink, or seem to have nothing to do with major/minor
    numbers.

    Any clues as to which one got trashed? (I'm sufficiently frazzled from
    this experiment that I'd rather avoid repeating it in order to do a
    diff on the changed files.)

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  2. #2

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

    Funny (well not really)

    I get the same error, without having changed anything from
    yesterday's fresh install of 507, I simple went to add more
    semaphores to the kernel and when I relinked I got

    kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers
    for node /dev/vnetint

    As is with you, my searches have gotten me nowhere

    I tried everything I could and gave up, 3 installations
    latter I will reinstall another time, eventually will find
    the right combination to a working full install.

    Take care

    Marc
    Marc Guest

  3. #3

    In article <QYzlb.13877$news.prodigy.com>,
    Bob Bailin <com> wrote:

    After being bitten more than once I've made it habit to dismount
    all filesystems and just back up / [a 10 minute job] before I make
    any attempts at kernel changes.

    Pulling files from 'last nights backup' can be time consuming >IF<
    the files you want are neared the end of the archive.

    And in instances where something goes tragically wrong in a relink
    - I just nuke the existing FS and remake it fresh and restore from
    that tape.

    By taking the step of remaking the FS I KNOW that nothing got left
    over from any broken build that could cause future problems.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  4. #4

    "Bill Vermillion" <comREMOVE> wrote in message

    > After being bitten more than once I've made it habit to dismount
    > all filesystems and just back up / [a 10 minute job] before I make
    > any attempts at kernel changes.[/ref]

    If you're going to take this route, you might as well do it from
    single-user mode, which also ensures that no unnecessary files are
    open during the backup from extraneous running processes.

    Not especially when using Microlite's BackupEdge in combination
    with a DAT drive that can do high-speed seeks. Their FFR feature
    combined with the edge.restore CLI command made restoring the
    cf.d directory a 3 minute job, even though the files were at the end
    of the tape. I'm certain most other tape drives and other supertars
    have similar features.

    Bob

    Bob Guest

  5. #5

    "Marc Champagne" <DOT.com> wrote in message

    > Funny (well not really)
    >
    > I get the same error, without having changed anything from
    > yesterday's fresh install of 507, I simple went to add more
    > semaphores to the kernel and when I relinked I got
    >
    > kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers
    > for node /dev/vnetint[/ref]

    How fresh was your 'fresh install'? The vnetint driver is part of
    Merge (virtual networking). I've only seen this problem in the
    past when I've installed Merge and then tried to modify the
    kernel in some way (add/remove software) before rebooting
    the system. As I recall, the Merge installation adds a one-shot
    startup script that affects its networking feature, vnet. If you
    don't allow it to run this script, and you have a network card,
    subsequent relinks may fail with this error.

    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    "Bob Bailin" <com> wrote in

    >> Funny (well not really)
    >>
    >> I get the same error, without having changed anything from
    >> yesterday's fresh install of 507, I simple went to add
    >> more semaphores to the kernel and when I relinked I got
    >>
    >> kslgen: cannot determine major/minor numbers
    >> for node /dev/vnetint[/ref]
    >
    > How fresh was your 'fresh install'? The vnetint driver is[/ref]

    Very very fresh.

    I don't recall seeing this happen, I will pay more attention
    when I re-install today.

    I'll let you know how early I get this vnetint thing to
    manifest itself.

    Marc

    Marc Guest