Professional Web Applications Themes

REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello everyone, For the last 6 months I've been posting using my real work email address. I know it leads to spam, but I wasn't worried about a few emails which I just autodeleted. I wanted people to be able to contact me if they wanted to. Up until now I have received about 10-20 spams a day. Last Friday it went ballistic. Over 1000 in a single day, every one from the swen virus/worm. So I shut down my email address and changed it to derekwater[ANTI_SPAM_REMOVE]werks.com.au. Swen saw right through this and within 30 minutes this new email address ...

  1. #1

    Default REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress

    Hello everyone,
    For the last 6 months I've been posting using my real work email address. I
    know it leads to spam, but I wasn't worried about a few emails which I just
    autodeleted. I wanted people to be able to contact me if they wanted to.

    Up until now I have received about 10-20 spams a day. Last Friday it went
    ballistic. Over 1000 in a single day, every one from the swen virus/worm.
    So I shut down my email address and changed it to

    derekwater[ANTI_SPAM_REMOVE]werks.com.au.

    Swen saw right through this and within 30 minutes this new email address was
    being swamped again.

    I then ran some tests and posted with bogus emails to all the groups usually
    take part in. Within 1 hour 3 of the addresses I used had been picked up
    and where being attacked.

    So I am now using completely bogus email addresses in news groups. I
    apologies to anyone who wants to email me directly.

    As a reminder to anyone who has been swamped with junk emails like more, or
    is just about to post using their real email address - Don't!

    cio
    Derek Clarkson

    Derek Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: REMINDER: Do not use your real email adddress

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:10:12 +1000, Derek Clarkson <com.au> wrote:

    You can set up a little server to send people your email address if you want.

    nc -l -p portnumber < filename

    Put your email address in that file and whenever anyone connects to your
    IP and that port number they will get the file. As with:

    nc -n IP port > filename

    For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
    look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
    there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
    deleting the balance on the server.

    If someone wants to send me a larger file, we can use the above approach.

    --
    Later, Alan C
    take control of your mailbox ----- elrav1 ----- http://tinyurl.com/l55a

    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Alan Connor wrote:

    I suppose you don't subscribe to any lists, because those rules would quite
    effectively delete them.

    Well, some people don't seem to mind not receiving legitimate e-mail. You
    choice.

    --
    Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
    GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

    Timo Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 08:10:47 +0300, Timo Voipio <tvoipio+fi> wrote:

    > I suppose you don't subscribe to any lists, because those rules would quite
    > effectively delete them.
    >[/ref]

    Not on any address that appears in a public forum.
    If I did receive mail from mailing lists on an address publicly available,
    I would then do other tests and choose not to delete those.

    Like DUH.

    And stupid people generally assume others are stupid too.

    Or are you just a troll? One more like this and I ignore any further posts
    from you.

  5. #5

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:10:12 +1000, Derek Clarkson <com.au> wrote:

    If you _have_ to use a real address which unfortunately is not despammed.com

    you can give your address like my sig ;)

    //This software is a shareware ;)
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <string.h>
    int main(void)
    {
    char email[80];
    int i;
    printf("Enter your email address:\n");
    scanf("%s",email);
    printf("Your signature:\n");
    printf("-- \n");
    printf("main(){char s[");
    printf("%d",strlen(email)+1);
    printf("]=\"");
    for(i=0;i<strlen(email);
    putchar(email[i++]+1));
    printf("\";");
    printf("\nint i;for(i=0;i<");
    printf("%d",strlen(email));
    printf(";putchar(s[i++]-1));}");
    return 0;
    }
    //pay me if you use it ;)

    --
    main(){char s[19]="sbwjAeftqbnnfe/dpn";
    int i;for(i=0;i<18;putchar(s[i++]-1));}

  6. #6

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 01:43:56 -0400, Ravi wrote:

    Ummm - This is trouble
    Ruben Guest

  7. #7

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:59:29 -0400, Ruben <mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

    >Ummm - This is trouble[/ref]
    ??

    May be you want to change it to
    gets(email)
    to accept spaces etc.

    We are discussing OT stuff. Hope others don't mind.

    --
    main(){char s[19]="SbwjCAUpvhiHvz/ofu";
    int i;for(i=0;i<18;putchar(s[i++]-1));}

  8. #8

    Ruben <mrbrklyn.com> wrote:

    > Ummm - This is trouble[/ref]

    Right - you can very easily produce a buffer overflow.

    --
    Knut Stolze

    Knut Guest

  9. #9

    Ravi wrote:

    > If you _have_ to use a real address which unfortunately is not despammed.com
    >
    > you can give your address like my sig ;)
    >[/ref]
    Consider a few changes:

    #define E_BUFFER 80
    #define NULL_C '\0'

    char email[E_BUFFER];
    int newline = '\n';

    # scanf("%s",email);
    if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL_C) {
    handle error....
    }
    /* Remove probably terminating newline. */
    if(strchr(email, newline) {
    *strchr(email, newline) = NULL_C;

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 8:05am up 12:50, 3 users, load average: 2.72, 2.33, 2.23

    Jean-David Guest

  10. #10

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:
    > #define E_BUFFER 80
    > #define NULL_C '\0'

    > char email[E_BUFFER];
    > int newline = '\n';

    > # scanf("%s",email);
    > if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL_C) {[/ref]

    No. fgets() returns a pointer, not a char or int.
    Comparing it to '\0' will work in many cirstances
    if the compiler doesn't reject it, but it's not a good idea.
    It should be

    if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL) {

    Very inefficient, doing the same work twice. Better:

    char *newline;
    if(newline=strchr(email, '\n')) {
    *newline = NULL_C;
    }
    Joe Guest

  11. #11

    Joe Beanfish <duh> wrote in

    C's notion of a boolean is guaranteed to work just as well I believe. E.g.

    if(!fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin))

    --
    - Mark ->

  12. #12

    Mark A. Odell wrote:

    > C's notion of a boolean is guaranteed to work just as well I believe. E.g.
    >
    > if(!fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin))
    >[/ref]

    Yes, I concur. But if your really paranoid then

    if((char*)0 == fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin)) {
    .......... some code
    }

    I always test as above because if you have a brain and do:

    if((char*)0 = fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin)) {
    .......... some code
    }

    Then the compiler will complain you can not assign to a constant (or
    something like that, I don't recall exactly).

    Later Dudes

    Baho Guest

  13. #13

    Ruben wrote:

    > Ummm - This is trouble[/ref]

    Not according to microshaft, they do it all the time hence all the virus
    problems ;)
    Baho Guest

  14. #14

    Joe Beanfish wrote:

    >> #define E_BUFFER 80
    >> #define NULL_C '\0'
    >>

    >> char email[E_BUFFER];
    >>

    >> int newline = '\n';
    >>

    >> # scanf("%s",email);
    >> if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL_C) {[/ref]
    >

    > No. fgets() returns a pointer, not a char or int.
    > Comparing it to '\0' will work in many cirstances
    > if the compiler doesn't reject it, but it's not a good idea.
    > It should be
    >
    > if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL) {
    >
    >[/ref]
    OK. I normally do not have to deal with that, using C++ ...

    > Very inefficient, doing the same work twice. Better:
    >
    > char *newline;
    > if(newline=strchr(email, '\n')) {
    > *newline = NULL_C;
    > }[/ref]

    Not as inefficient as it looks. All the optimizers with which I am
    familiar notice this and store the result in a temp (typically a register).

    /V\ Registered Machine 73926.
    ^^-^^ 6:35pm up 6:51, 3 users, load average: 2.10, 2.09, 2.08

    Jean-David Guest

  15. #15

    I have a questions:

    I have been a target of this microsoft patches stuff, and the problem is
    that I used my work email address. Is this e-mail is useless? I have been
    getting hundreds of these e-mails daily!

    M Guest

  16. #16

    M Sager <com> writes:

    ]I have a questions:

    ]I have been a target of this microsoft patches stuff, and the problem is
    ]that I used my work email address. Is this e-mail is useless? I have been
    ]getting hundreds of these e-mails daily!

    No it is not useless. If you op0en it on a Microsoft system it will
    install programs on your system which will harvest all email addresses
    on your system and send those same kinds of messages to all of them.
    Of course this may not be what you want, but useless is not how I
    would describe it.

    Bill Guest

  17. #17

    "Mark A. Odell" wrote:

    > C's notion of a boolean is guaranteed to work just as well I believe. E.g.
    >
    > if(!fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin))[/ref]

    Yeah, but I have a psychological problem with treating pointers
    as booleans.
    Joe Guest

  18. #18

    Jean-David Beyer wrote:

    > > No. fgets() returns a pointer, not a char or int.
    > > Comparing it to '\0' will work in many cirstances
    > > if the compiler doesn't reject it, but it's not a good idea.
    > > It should be
    > >
    > > if(fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin) == NULL) {
    > >
    > >[/ref]
    > OK. I normally do not have to deal with that, using C++ ...

    > > Very inefficient, doing the same work twice. Better:
    > >
    > > char *newline;
    > > if(newline=strchr(email, '\n')) {
    > > *newline = NULL_C;
    > > }[/ref]
    >
    > Not as inefficient as it looks. All the optimizers with which I am
    > familiar notice this and store the result in a temp (typically a register).[/ref]

    Overly relying on the optimizer is a bad idea. Especially when you're
    relying on it knowing what library functions do. Besides the fact
    that many compilers won't optimize that, you get in the habit of
    expecting the optimizer to do everything for you and you do the same
    thing with a function the optimizer doesn't know and wham.
    Joe Guest

  19. #19

    Joe Beanfish <duh> wrote in

    >> C's notion of a boolean is guaranteed to work just as well I believe.
    >> E.g.
    >>
    >> if(!fgets(email, E_BUFFER, stdin))[/ref]
    >
    > Yeah, but I have a psychological problem with treating pointers
    > as booleans.[/ref]

    I can appreciate that. What about treating their validity as a boolean?
    E.g. is this pointer valid or not valid? That's what I try to imply with
    if (!pFoo) ... BTW, for assert() you are absolutely correct as assert()
    requires a type int.

    Regards,

    --
    - Mark ->

  20. #20

    On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:33:21 GMT, Alan Connor
    <net> wrote:

    >You can set up a little server to send people your email address if you want.
    >
    >nc -l -p portnumber < filename
    >
    >Put your email address in that file and whenever anyone connects to your
    >IP and that port number they will get the file. As with:
    >
    >nc -n IP port > filename
    >
    >For myself, I hit the server every 5 minutes and bring down the headers,
    >look for my address in the first place of the To: header, and if it isn't
    >there, delete the mail on the server. I then bring down anything under 20k,
    >deleting the balance on the server.
    >
    >If someone wants to send me a larger file, we can use the above approach.[/ref]

    Thanx for the pointer, I'll have to try this...

    Cheers

    Bl˘wphish Guest