Professional Web Applications Themes

Remove filter when shooting flash indoors? - Photography

I took some indoor flash photos with my 10D tonight. The camera set the exposure at 1/60 F 4.0 as it always does and I was shooting with a 24-70 L2.8. I was not too happy with a number of the shots in that many had very dark backgrounds as if my 420 EX did not illuminate scene properly. The lens had a skylight filter on it. Could that have caused an exposure problem in this situation? Here is an example photo: http://www.pbase.com/image/19189565/large I guess asked another way, should filters be removed for indoor flash shooting?...

  1. #1

    Default Remove filter when shooting flash indoors?

    johnpower@verobeachlaw.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Remove filter when shooting flash indoors?

    com wrote:

    http://www.pbase.com/image/19189565/large

    I would be very happy with that shot.
    Is the subject the girl and cake or the back room?

    The filter had nothing to do with it. Where they detract from an image
    is outdoors with oblique or towards the lens light, then they cut
    contrast.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA

  3. #3

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 01:06:31 GMT, "Paul Worden"
    <com> wrote:

    Thanks for the comment. I did have the flash angled up to bounce off
    the white ceiling.

    Interestingly enough, some came out much better illuminated. Here is
    an example:
    http://www.pbase.com/image/19190465

    and that is what confused me. When I get an exposure like this and
    then one like the other from the same settings on the same camera I am
    puzzled

    johnpower@verobeachlaw.com Guest

  4. #4

    com writes:

    No. The problem is that flash intensity drops off as the square of the
    distance, and so even objects a little bit in the background receive far
    less light. Because of this, if your main subject is in the foreground
    and there are things significantly behind it (that is, twice as far
    away, for example), the background will look dark. There is no way
    around this with a built-in or on-camera flash. Filters have no effect.

    There's nothing wrong with that photo; in fact, it is better than most,
    thanks to the diffused and (apparently) somewhat indirect flash.

    The use of a flash in itself does not require that filters be added or
    removed.

    Mxsmanic Guest

  5. #5

    com wrote:

    If the auto exposure isn't working, why not use the flash compensation to
    brighten it up a bit ?

    Jim Guest

  6. #6

    In article <com>,
    com says...

    That doesn't look bad at all. A quick and dirty edit gave me this:

    http://twalker.d2g.com/forweb/johnpower_redo.jpg

    Spending a little more time with the edits, I could have avoided ing
    out the highlights in the cake, but you get the idea. I have found with
    my E20 that the TTL flash (FL40) sometimes causes inconsistent exposures
    like you are describing. Are you using the 420/550EX on your 10D? If so,
    that may be the cause. The camera meters based on a reading of 18% grey
    and will quench the flash differently depending on the makeup of the
    scene. A non-TTL unit will give more consistent exposures given the same
    scene (taking one photo after another of the same scene for instance,)
    but isn't as dependable overall because you have to remember to set the
    flash to match your camera settings.

    --
    ________________________________
    Todd Walker

  7. #7

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 20:52:21 -0400, in
    <com>, com
    said:

    The lighting looks quite good for a flash shot, especially if it's the
    inbuilt flash. The image does seem kind of soft for that lens though. I
    would've used a 50mm 1.8 at about 2.8 or so for that shot, myself.

    Skylight filters? - I always leave them on, myself.

    Lionel Guest

  8. #8

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:43:19 GMT, Todd Walker <com>
    wrote:

    >That doesn't look bad at all. A quick and dirty edit gave me this:
    >
    >http://twalker.d2g.com/forweb/johnpower_redo.jpg
    >
    >Spending a little more time with the edits, I could have avoided ing
    >out the highlights in the cake, but you get the idea. I have found with
    >my E20 that the TTL flash (FL40) sometimes causes inconsistent exposures
    >like you are describing. Are you using the 420/550EX on your 10D? If so,
    >that may be the cause. The camera meters based on a reading of 18% grey
    >and will quench the flash differently depending on the makeup of the
    >scene. A non-TTL unit will give more consistent exposures given the same
    >scene (taking one photo after another of the same scene for instance,)
    >but isn't as dependable overall because you have to remember to set the
    >flash to match your camera settings.[/ref]

    Thanks for your efforts and comments Todd. I just felt that there was
    quite a difference between the one you fixed and this one

    http://www.pbase.com/image/19190465

    and so I thought maybe the flash wasn't working quite right. I will
    say that for some of the photos I was backed rather deeply into a
    small hallway. I do not know if this would have affected the camera's
    ability to gather light even with the flash...

    johnpower@verobeachlaw.com Guest

  9. #9

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 18:26:31 +1000, Lionel <net> wrote:

    >The lighting looks quite good for a flash shot, especially if it's the
    >inbuilt flash. The image does seem kind of soft for that lens though. I
    >would've used a 50mm 1.8 at about 2.8 or so for that shot, myself.[/ref]

    10D images are known for their softness. However, being rather new at
    this I have no frame of reference as to what looks "right" or "not
    right" as to issues like this so I just have to assume that all of my
    stuff is working as it is supposed to...I would like to find another
    10D owner in my town to get together with and compare identical shots.

  10. #10

    If you want to see what difference the surroundings make to a flash shot,
    take a photograph of someone outdoors (at night) with direct flash and then
    the same shot indoors. Harsh versus incidental reflected fill.

    Even moving a few feet in a room can present completely different reflecting
    surfaces. Outside there is no fill from surfaces and the shots need more
    exposure and are very harsh. At least two stops extra for outdoor shots and
    you can't bounce it off the sky....

    The colour of the walls/ceilings also has a noticeable effect on the light.
    When you add in the various colour temperatures of indoor lighting, you can
    see how complicated the whole subject is.

    You got the shot and that's what counts. The second example is excellent -
    but it's at a different angle, so the flash will have reflected from
    different surfaces and that explains the difference.

    One of the 'tricks of the trade' is to replace the light globe with one of
    low wattage when it's going to be 'in shot' and too bright. The beauty of
    digital is that you can see the results immediately and work around it.
    I don't know about you though...I don't usually carry a pocket full of
    globes for a birthday party....

    Paul W

    Paul Guest

  11. #11

    com wrote in

    The back wall is much closer to the subject in the second shot. That's
    why it's brighter.

    Tim
    Browntimdc Guest

  12. #12

    On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 06:25:08 -0400, in
    <com>, com
    said:

    >10D images are known for their softness.[/ref]

    Well, I have one myself, & it'll do a much sharper shot than that.

    Lionel Guest

  13. #13

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 11:03:54 +1000, Lionel <net> wrote:

    >>10D images are known for their softness.[/ref]
    >
    >Well, I have one myself, & it'll do a much sharper shot than that.[/ref]

    Why don't you post one right out of the camera taken with a zoom lens
    as opposed to a prime. I don't know anyone in this town with a 10D so
    I have nothing to compare mine with. All I know is that the initial
    softness of a 10D image is referenced over and over in many forums as
    the norm. I have found that a little USM can take care of this.

    johnpower@verobeachlaw.com Guest

  14. #14

    com writes:

    USM disguises a lack of resolution; it does not provide resolution where
    none exists.

    Mxsmanic Guest