Professional Web Applications Themes

Remove text but keep its stroke effect - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Hey all, I want to do something in Photoshop (6.0) which I can imagine will be easy but I just can't figue out how! I have a background (layer name 'Strobe') and a text block (text size 100, colour white, font Romeo, layer name 'Floobaloo') with a stroke effect (size 20, orange colour) on the text layer. What I want to do is remove the white colour of the text to leave just the orange stroke, and the background showing through where the white text was. I have tried rendering the text layer and then just erasing the white out; ...

  1. #1

    Default Remove text but keep its stroke effect

    Hey all,

    I want to do something in Photoshop (6.0) which I can imagine will be easy but I just can't figue out how!

    I have a background (layer name 'Strobe') and a text block (text size 100, colour white, font Romeo, layer name 'Floobaloo') with a stroke effect (size 20, orange colour) on the text layer. What I want to do is remove the white colour of the text to leave just the orange stroke, and the background showing through where the white text was.

    I have tried rendering the text layer and then just erasing the white out; this just leaves pure orange text, I have also tried magic selecting the text and then deleting it; this has the same effect.

    I can supply screengrabs if you want.

    Many thanks in advance for your help,

    Floobaloo.co.uk
    floobaloo Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Remove text but keep its stroke effect

    Here's my solution after a quick play. It is imperfect and was done on PS 7, so I don't know how good it'll be for you.

    I used the magic wand to select the text itself and deleted. However, this took out the stroke layer style too. So, I created an empty layer under the [rasterised] text layer and did a Merge Down. This incorporated the layer style as pixels and now the magic wand and delete works.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    Or, better:

    Change the blending mode of the text layer to Color Dodge. This means you still have vector text which can be changed.
    Colin_Walls@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Hello, tried to open the layer style dialog box and in the advanced blending section to turn-off the fill opacity to 0%? It should retains the stroke. Hope it works.. bye
    Betty_Compagnoni@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Colin, changing the blending mode to colour dodge works perfectly!

    Thanks,

    Floobaloo.co.uk
    floobaloo Guest

  6. #6

    Easier yet is set fill opacity to 0%
    barry_gray@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Fill Opacity is located also on the Layer Palette, and doesnŽt affect effects (unless set).
    Mathias_Vejerslev@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Keep in mind that Fill Opacity was not an option in Photoshop 6.0 leaving the blending mode as a suitable solution in this case (As Long as the text color is black).
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    WeŽll keep that in mind.
    Mathias_Vejerslev@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Or render the type, make a selection, contract by X amount of pixels, select inverse and delete.
    Cheesefood@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    Mathias,

    It is kind of important to note since floobaloo made the post and most people ignored the fact that Photoshop 6.0 is being used.
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Photo Help-
    Fill opacity is indeed available in PS 6 in the layer style dialog box under blending options
    barry_gray@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Yes it is..
    Betty_Compagnoni@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Yes in the layer style dialog.

    I was the one that said check Layers Palette without noticing the question regarded PS6. I am sloppy. Forgive me.
    Mathias_Vejerslev@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    barry,

    Right you are, I always forget it is also on the layer styles. It isn't available on the layers pallet though.
    Photo_Help@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    Photo-
    I had to dig out my old CIAB 6 to find it, I had forgotten too.
    barry_gray@adobeforums.com Guest