Professional Web Applications Themes

Removing Canna server - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

When I installed Red Hat Linux Enterprise 3 I chose the option of installing all of the packages and now it is connecting to a Canna server for which I have no need. How do I stop the system from establishing this Canna server connection? -- Stephen com Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge. Printed using 100% recycled electrons. -----------------------------------------------------------...

  1. #1

    Default Removing Canna server

    --
    Stephen
    com

    Ignorance is just a placeholder for knowledge.

    Printed using 100% recycled electrons.
    Stephen Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Removing Canna server

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 14:47:58 -0800, Stephen Speicher
    <com> wrote:

    man chkconfig

    (hint: chkconfig --levels 123456 Canna off )

    You probably don't need FreeWnn, irqbalance, hpoj, and some others
    either. I'd love to meet the person who decided what Redhat should
    run by default.

    Mike-

    Mornings: Evolution in action. Only the grumpy will survive.
    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Michael W. e wrote:

    > man chkconfig
    >[/ref]

    Thanks.

    chkconfig seems to be case sensitive, so it did not work for
    "Canna" but it worked just fine for "canna."

    No man or info page for this, but "locate" pointed me to a manual
    and it was written using symbols foreign to me, so I guess it
    will be safe to remove this too, whatever it is.

    No man or info page, and "locate" does not tell me anything about
    what this does. Could you please tell me what irqbalance does so
    I can decide whether or not to remove it from being run.

    Any other suggestions for useless things which are automatically
    run?

    Thanks,

  4. #4

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 08:26:08 -0800, Stephen Speicher
    <com> wrote:

    >> man chkconfig
    >>[/ref]
    >
    >Thanks.

    >chkconfig seems to be case sensitive, so it did not work for
    >"Canna" but it worked just fine for "canna."[/ref]

    I have this weird problem with random capitalizations... I suspect it
    comes from programming in REXX.

    >No man or info page for this, but "locate" pointed me to a manual
    >and it was written using symbols foreign to me, so I guess it
    >will be safe to remove this too, whatever it is.[/ref]

    It does the same thing as canna, just differently - PacRim Big5
    language support.
     [/ref]

    If you have an SMP system, you need irqbalance, otherwise no.

    >No man or info page, and "locate" does not tell me anything about
    >what this does. Could you please tell me what irqbalance does so
    >I can decide whether or not to remove it from being run.
    >
    >Any other suggestions for useless things which are automatically
    >run?[/ref]

    hpoj - if you don't have an HP officejet. Specifically an officejet,
    mind you - you don't need this if you have a deskjet, laserjet, etc.

    PCMCIA if you aren't on a laptop

    irda ditto

    isdn if you aren't on an isdn line

    spamassassin also defaults to on, but the version that redhat ships is
    bloody ancient - you might as well shut it off until you can get
    current.

    Personally, I also shutdown sshd. One of these days I'll work out
    exactly what needs to be done to secure it while still being able to
    use it, but pretty much all of the docs I've seen on it are worse than
    crap, and I don't need the functionality enough to spend the time
    needed.

    You're welcome.

  5. #5

    On Wed, 24 Dec 2003, Michael W. e wrote:

    >[/ref]
    [snip ...]

    Thanks for the suggestions. I set the ones I do not need to
    'off.'

  6. #6

    "Stephen Speicher" <com> wrote in message
    > >[/ref]
    > [snip ...]
    >
    > Thanks for the suggestions. I set the ones I do not need to
    > 'off.'[/ref]

    Consider ripping them out entirely, if you can. That way you don't get
    bloody useless "update" notifications.

    Also, I find that installing server class machines as "minimal" installs and
    adding utilities as I decide they are needed to produce a much, much leaner
    system.

    I also find that ripping out every international language support tool, such
    as all the Kanji and kde-i18n-* packages, etc. helps pare things down a lot.

    Nico Guest

  7. #7

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:10:26 -0500, "Nico Kadel-Garcia"
    <net> wrote:

    >> [snip ...]
    >>
    >> Thanks for the suggestions. I set the ones I do not need to
    >> 'off.'[/ref]
    >
    >Consider ripping them out entirely, if you can. That way you don't get
    >bloody useless "update" notifications.
    >
    >Also, I find that installing server class machines as "minimal" installs and
    >adding utilities as I decide they are needed to produce a much, much leaner
    >system.
    >
    >I also find that ripping out every international language support tool, such
    >as all the Kanji and kde-i18n-* packages, etc. helps pare things down a lot.
    >[/ref]

    While I agree with your suggestions for an experienced user, the OP
    seems very new to linux, and isn't likely to know what he can safely
    remove and not break something else. I started exactly the same way -
    install everything, turn off what I know I won't need, but leave the
    files alone because I might be wrong about what I need...

    Actually, that isn't exactly how I started - but it IS how I achieved
    my first stable linux system. 8-)>