Professional Web Applications Themes

removing database alias when database doesn't exist - IBM DB2

hi all, got a small problem here Running db/2 8.1 fp3 on a linux system. Tried to create a database called radius which seemed to work from the cli commands i put in. then went and tried to access the db from a windoze gui ( both vsn 8.1 fp2 and 7.2) Must have dome something wrong because every time i tried to view the database i got an error message saying that the alias "RADIUS " did not exist on the remote system. ( must admin there was some finger trouble at this point) Now, back on the linux ...

  1. #1

    Default removing database alias when database doesn't exist

    hi all,
    got a small problem here

    Running db/2 8.1 fp3 on a linux system. Tried to create a database
    called radius
    which seemed to work from the cli commands i put in.

    then went and tried to access the db from a windoze gui ( both vsn 8.1
    fp2 and 7.2)

    Must have dome something wrong because every time i tried to view the
    database i got an error message saying that the alias "RADIUS " did
    not exist on the remote system. ( must admin there was some finger
    trouble at this point)

    Now, back on the linux box when i do a list active databases nothing
    appears.
    If i try and create the database i get a message saying
    " The database alias radius already exists in either the local
    database directory or the system database directory"

    do in a delete alias command tells me that there isn't a connection.
    Attempting to connect to the database tells me that the database
    directory doesn't exist

    how can i remove the alias defintion in order to create the database

    TIA
    Alex
    Alex Guest

  2. #2

    Alex <A.Sharazhull.ac.uk> wrote:
    > hi all,
    > got a small problem here
    >
    > Running db/2 8.1 fp3 on a linux system. Tried to create a database
    > called radius
    > which seemed to work from the cli commands i put in.
    >
    > then went and tried to access the db from a windoze gui ( both vsn 8.1
    > fp2 and 7.2)
    >
    > Must have dome something wrong because every time i tried to view the
    > database i got an error message saying that the alias "RADIUS " did
    > not exist on the remote system. ( must admin there was some finger
    > trouble at this point)
    >
    > Now, back on the linux box when i do a list active databases nothing
    > appears.
    > If i try and create the database i get a message saying
    > " The database alias radius already exists in either the local
    > database directory or the system database directory"
    >
    > do in a delete alias command tells me that there isn't a connection.
    > Attempting to connect to the database tells me that the database
    > directory doesn't exist
    >
    > how can i remove the alias defintion in order to create the database
    Have a look at the UNCATALOG DATABASE command.

    --
    Knut Stolze
    Information Integration

  3. #3

    On a command line do:
    db2 list database directory on <path> where path is where you created
    the db.
    If you get an answer then do:
    db2 catalog db <dbname> on path
    db2 connect to <dbname>
    or
    db2 drop database <dbname>

    Your problem is while you had finger problem, the db was catalogued out
    of the system database directory but not out of the local (path)
    database directory.
    Can't find it in the system db dir==> db does not exist.
    Try to create, finds it in the local path ==> can't create db it exists
    in the local path.
    Catch DB2???

    HTH, Pierre.

    Alex wrote:
    > hi all,
    > got a small problem here
    >
    > Running db/2 8.1 fp3 on a linux system. Tried to create a database
    > called radius
    > which seemed to work from the cli commands i put in.
    >
    > then went and tried to access the db from a windoze gui ( both vsn 8.1
    > fp2 and 7.2)
    >
    > Must have dome something wrong because every time i tried to view the
    > database i got an error message saying that the alias "RADIUS " did
    > not exist on the remote system. ( must admin there was some finger
    > trouble at this point)
    >
    > Now, back on the linux box when i do a list active databases nothing
    > appears.
    > If i try and create the database i get a message saying
    > " The database alias radius already exists in either the local
    > database directory or the system database directory"
    >
    > do in a delete alias command tells me that there isn't a connection.
    > Attempting to connect to the database tells me that the database
    > directory doesn't exist
    >
    > how can i remove the alias defintion in order to create the database
    >
    > TIA
    > Alex
    P. Saint-Jacques Guest

  4. #4