Professional Web Applications Themes

removing desktop icons - Windows XP/2000/ME

I'm new to XP and haven't yet been able to find the method of removing the desktop icons for "shortcut to web sites" and "contains letters, reports..." I've tried deleting them but they return at the next boot up. How do I keep them from returning to the desktop? Thanks-...

  1. #1

    Default removing desktop icons

    I'm new to XP and haven't yet been able to find the method of removing the
    desktop icons for "shortcut to web sites" and "contains letters, reports..."
    I've tried deleting them but they return at the next boot up. How do I keep
    them from returning to the desktop? Thanks-

    Don Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: removing desktop icons

    I forgot to mention that I have already gone to the option in the control
    panel/display/desktop/customize/general and unchecked the boxes for "My
    Doents" and "My Network Places" - The shortcuts still reappear after the
    reboot. Where's Bill when you need him?

  3. #3

    Default correction

    I have found that the problem I am trying to correct involves the desktop
    TASKBAR not the actual desktop. I have removed the icons previously
    mentioned from my desktop but they continue to reappear on the desktop
    taskbar at the bottom of my screen. Is there any way to prevent this?

  4. #4

    Default Re: correction

    The taskbar has several areas:
    The start menu, the area the task buttons for open programs hang out and
    the "notification area" that was previously referred to as the System
    Tray. You may also have a toolbar displayed on the taskbar.

    If the icon is in a toolbar, right click and delete it.

    If the icon is in the notification area (by the clock) that signifies
    the program is loaded at startup or - not as common - the user has
    opened the program and the tray icon appears during that time or while
    performing certain tasks.

    If you are concerned about icons in the notification area that belong to
    startup items, change the program's startup behavior. Open the main
    program and use its menus to alter this. If the menu cannot be found or
    is not available, you can try the Startup Configuration Utility (start>
    run> MSCONFIG). On the Startup tab of this tool, uncheck the box for the
    program that you do not want loading at that time.

    The change will take effect at the next restart. You will get a notice
    from MSCONFIG that the startup has been altered. Check the box so that
    it doesn't nag you with this tidbit at every startup and click OK. The
    startup notice will appear in the future if and when you use MSCONFIG to
    change something else in startup.

    Sharon F
    MS MVP [Shell/User]

    On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 13:51:48 -0700, "Don" <harley4donnpgcable.com>
    wrote:
    >I have found that the problem I am trying to correct involves the desktop
    >TASKBAR not the actual desktop. I have removed the icons previously
    >mentioned from my desktop but they continue to reappear on the desktop
    >taskbar at the bottom of my screen. Is there any way to prevent this?
    >
    >"Don" <harley4donnpgcable.com> wrote in message
    >> I'm new to XP and haven't yet been able to find the method of removing the
    >> desktop icons for "shortcut to web sites" and "contains letters,
    >reports..."
    >> I've tried deleting them but they return at the next boot up. How do I
    >keep
    >> them from returning to the desktop? Thanks-

    Sharon F Guest