Professional Web Applications Themes

Removing Old Files?? - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

We are having trouble figuring out how to delete old image files using contribute, the old image files are using up extra space on the website and we cannot work out how to delete them from the server... We know about setting up file access permissions etc, but we don't know what the actually process is to delete the un-used images. Any help would be much appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Removing Old Files??

    We are having trouble figuring out how to delete old image files using
    contribute, the old image files are using up extra space on the website and we
    cannot work out how to delete them from the server...

    We know about setting up file access permissions etc, but we don't know what
    the actually process is to delete the un-used images.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    VisOb Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Removing Old Files??

    Interested in this as well. I was hoping an image linked only once would be deleted when the page was.
    Terry_B Guest

  3. #3

    no. You have do to do a second run after deleting html files, to find the
    images used in them that are now orphans.
    Tip- Recreate the site cache in dw, then do the sitewide find/replace and
    Orphan check.
    > Interested in this as well. I was hoping an image linked only once would be
    > deleted when the page was.
    Alan Guest

  4. #4

    ignore pls- thought this was a dreamweaver question- forgot what group i
    was reading.
    > no. You have do to do a second run after deleting html files, to find the
    > images used in them that are now orphans.
    > Tip- Recreate the site cache in dw, then do the sitewide find/replace and
    > Orphan check.
    >
    >> Interested in this as well. I was hoping an image linked only once would be
    >> deleted when the page was.

    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    It's easiest if you use direct FTP access to the site, then use the FTP
    client's delete function to get rid of the images.

    But if you don't have that, you can use Contribute: navigate to the image you
    want to delete (this is true for anything you want to delete: images, web
    pages, Word docs, etc), then on the File menu select Actions->Delete Page.

    christina.heikkila Guest

  6. #6

    Any ideas how to get Acrobat from opening when we just want to delete a pdf
    file?

    The situation is that a person wants to delete an old pdf file but when she
    navigates to it in Contribute the file opens in Acrobat outside Contribute. The
    same thing happens with at least one other person. On my computer Contribute
    acts the way I understand it's supposed to: shows a screen that says the name
    of the file so I can use File> Delete.

    DKAllaire Guest

  7. #7

    Definitly have the same problem and could use the FPT delete but... We use
    Contribute 2 at an elementary school with 7 staff members and 60+ students
    updating their pages constantly. It works real fine and there have been some
    amazing results. However, we end up with hundreds of orphan images so it is not
    really all that practical to search down and delete each individual image. Have
    tried many different ideas but nothing works beside the FTP delete.
    Any other ideas??
    Thanks

    FPJR Guest

  8. #8

    I think 3.1 has change how things are copied, not really looked at it, but
    there is something in the release notes about doents now being replaced
    instead of versioning, so maybe there is something about images there?

    LDudd Guest

  9. #9

    About the PDF file - don't know, when I do it (and I also have Acrobat
    installed) it opens in Contribute, and I can do the File->Actions->Delete Page.

    On orphan files - if you or someone else on your staff is a little 'techy',
    you can do this - run a link checker on the server, such as linklint:
    [url]http://www.linklint.org/[/url] (it's free). This will identify all your orphan
    files. Then you could write a perl/php/whatever script that moves the orphans
    into a directory while pending deletion. If no one complains about the missing
    files for a while, go ahead and delete them.

    christina.heikkila Guest

  10. #10

    I think LDudd has the answer. Version 3.1 takes care of it. On page 157 of the
    Using & Administering is the topic "Replacing a file on your website." It looks
    like we can publish a new version of a non-html page directly from the
    computer. Keeping the file name the same as the previous version maintains the
    link.

    The example used is an Excel file, so I figure it will work for my pdf and
    don't see why it wouldn't work for an image.

    Mission accomplished?

    DKAllaire Guest