Professional Web Applications Themes

removing white background in logo - Adobe Illustrator Windows

Hello Newbie here..... I brought a logo into Illustrator 8.0 and would like to remove the white background. In Photoshop I would use the magic wand tool to select then delete it. What does this in Illustrator? I hate being ignorant. Grrrr. Dan...

  1. #1

    Default removing white background in logo

    danreeves120@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: removing white background in logo

    Dan,

    Is this a raster or vector format logo?

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    not sure...this is how ignorant i am.
    danreeves120@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    The big papery thing is called a manual...
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    my bad...this is a vector image. have no manual available.
    danreeves120@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Why not? Illustrator 8 shipped with a manual.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    I'm a student...and like many things on campus the manual seems to
    have grown legs.
    danreeves120@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    can you help me with this trivially mundane simpleton-like problem?
    danreeves120@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Trace the edges of the image with the pen tool. Select the image and the path you just created. Press [ctrl]+[7]... viola.
    Timothy_Foolery®@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    Dan,

    If a vector illustration has a white background it is because it is
    surrounded by a rectangle with a white fill. Either set that fill to no-fill
    or delete the rectangle (probably need to ungroup it from the rest of the
    illo first)

    LenHewitt@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    its ok dan you're not alone.

    im having the same problem but im using illustrator cs. i hope i could get step by step directions. thank you.
    jef_piments@adobeforums.com Guest

  12. #12

    Uhm, Why don't you ask your teacher? It would be good to learn the difference between vector and bitmap. It might answer your question.
    Jonathan_McClintic@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Open your raster logo in PhotoShop and make the background color transparent (simple layer, delete the color and get checkerboard) then Save as a PSD file which now you can place into Illustrator (version 10 or CS) and the background will be transparent. The image will still be raster, of course and not vector, so it's raster limitations will continue, but you'll have that transparency.

    Bob
    BobHill@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    If this logo image has a white background then I am assuming it is a raster image. I would take it into PHotoshop and use the HELP menu / Export transparent image option. The open the export transparent image into illustrator. Works for me every time.

    Janette W
    Janette_Wotherspoon@adobeforums.com Guest

  15. #15

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy_Foolery®adobeforums.com View Post
    Why not? Illustrator 8 shipped with a manual.
    Your helpful.
    Unregistered Guest

  16. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Jeremiah Lane Mathews is offline Junior Member
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1
    Moderated Post

  17. #17

    It's not s stupid question, clearly nobody here knows the answer and most of them are clearly s.

    1. Select Layers
    2. Delete the Background Layer

    the checkboard should then appear. Its easy once you know how.
    Unregistered Guest

  18. #18

    Why is it that at every adobe forum about the simplest topics that everyone who know how to use the adobe products are such unhelpful faggots..answer the question or dont let your ignorant worthless graphic artist remarks explain for you what you have come to realize as an eternal umarketable skill. Just be helpful and not pretentious
    Unregistered Guest

  19. #19

    You probably need to use Expand first before trying to select the unwanted white background with the Magic Wand tool.

    1.) Once you have your image imported and have done Live Trace on it to create a Path, go to Object > Expand.
    2.) You now should be able to select the white background with the Magic Wand tool and delete it out.
    Unregistered Guest

  20. #20

    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    You probably need to use Expand first before trying to select the unwanted white background with the Magic Wand tool.

    1.) Once you have your image imported and have done Live Trace on it to create a Path, go to Object > Expand.
    2.) You now should be able to select the white background with the Magic Wand tool and delete it out.
    It's very difficult sometimes to understand directions if you're new to a program. People make an effort to help, but the directions are vague. Most of the time you need step by step directions.
    In adobe illustrator...what are the steps to do the Live Trace? When I click on Live Trace there are a lot of options to choose from. How do I create the path? Where do you click on to select the background and then delete it?
    Please, any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Unregistered Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast