Professional Web Applications Themes

rendezvous tunelling between networks - Mac Networking

Is there a easy way to tunell rendezvous between two networks? I want to access my iTunes music-collection when I am at work just like I did with iTunes 4.0. Is there a way to do this? -- Morten Dreier http://morten.dreier.no/...

  1. #1

    Default rendezvous tunelling between networks

    --
    Morten Dreier
    http://morten.dreier.no/

  2. #2

    Default Re: rendezvous tunelling between networks

    In article <1g36lez.1faxgle1xu6zk0N%no>,
    no (Morten Dreier) wrote:

    :> Is there a easy way to tunell rendezvous between two networks?
    :> I want to access my iTunes music-collection when I am at work just like
    :> I did with iTunes 4.0.
    :> Is there a way to do this?

    Probably not, since the sharing is limited to a single subnet.

    = Steve =
    --
    Steve W. Jackson
    Montgomery, Alabama

  3. #3

    On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 17:29:28 -0500,
    Steve W. Jackson (net) wrote:

    You can certainly tunnel Rendezvous between two networks.

    All you need to do is tunnel multicast between the two networks. Here's
    one way to do it: http://www.afp548.com/Articles/Jaguar/mtunnels.html

    There are other ways -- you can even use vtun to do it (in tap mode).

    Beverly
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  4. #4

    In article <supernews.com>,
    "Steve W. Jackson" <net> wrote:

    I think I'm essentially echoing Bev's remarks, but here's what Ernest
    Prabhakar (Product Manager, UNIX & Open Source) had to say in response
    to "can Rendezvous be used across subnets?":

    <quoted from a webcast by me>
    Um, the Rendezvous spec as defined by the Zeroconf working group
    includes the ability to do what is called "dynamic dns updates", in
    order to be able to have a name server that you can access across
    subnets, and we would, if you are trying to get Rendezvous functionality
    in a larger network, strongly encourage something like that rather than
    trying to do multicast across subnets which is generally considered a
    bad idea. However, there have not been any implementations announced
    which support that at this time.
    </quote>

    --
    Heath
    | *Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool* |

  5. #5

    Bev A. Kupf wrote:

    >You can certainly tunnel Rendezvous between two networks.
    >
    >All you need to do is tunnel multicast between the two networks. Here's
    >one way to do it: http://www.afp548.com/Articles/Jaguar/mtunnels.html
    >
    >There are other ways -- you can even use vtun to do it (in tap mode).
    >
    >[/ref]
    I've done some tests with this the last few days with iTunes, and my
    results are that this way does not work with the most recent ADC release
    of Panther. For some reason it doesn't relay the tunneled packages to
    the system-layer, even though both windows and jaguar versions of iTunes
    shows shared playlists, Panther refuses. It shows all on the real
    network though. Nothing of rendezvous stuff from the other subnets show
    up in Panther, but they show up just fine in Jaguar.

    --
    Kim-A Sakariassen

    Kim-Arthur Guest