Professional Web Applications Themes

repair install - Windows XP/2000/ME

I have a well-running, heavily customized and configured Win XP home. But I am planning on changing motherboards and want to perform a repair install in order to change the configuration to the new motherboard. Because how heavily configured it is, I don't want to start from scratch with a full install. I've used the repair install on other pc's and it does the job. But my home version is not permitting the repair install. Part way through the process the install stops and gives the following error messages. I need some help to find a way around this fatal ...

  1. #1

    Default repair install

    I have a well-running, heavily customized and configured Win XP home.
    But I am planning on changing motherboards and want to perform a repair
    install in order to change the configuration to the new motherboard.
    Because how heavily configured it is, I don't want to start from scratch
    with a full install. I've used the repair install on other pc's and it
    does the job. But my home version is not permitting the repair install.
    Part way through the process the install stops and gives the following
    error messages. I need some help to find a way around this fatal error.
    (I have a fully licensed copy of XP home, with the original disks. It
    was previously authenticated and registered by me. It is completely
    legal, depsite this inscrutable message when the install stops:
    -------------
    Warning:
    Setup failed to remove product catalog IEEXCEP.CAT

    Warning:
    Setup failed to remove product catalog SP1.CAT

    Error:
    The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid.
    The error code is fffffdd9

    The system cannot find message text for number 0xfffffdd9
    in the message file for syssetup.dll

    Fatal Error:
    Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal
    error.
    --------
    This is dual boot system, Win 98 and XP with XP on drive D: I have
    tried various ways around this error, doing the repair install by
    beginning in Win98; booting from the Win XP Home CD; running winnt.exe
    after booting first to DOS. Nothing works, I keep hitting this error.
    Can someone help, please?

    --
    Dennis Roark

    [email]denroearthlink.net[/email]
    Starting Points:
    [url]www.home.earthlink.net/~denro[/url]
    Dennis Roark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: repair install

    When you run the repair install, running booting from the XP Home CD, is
    there an option to select which system to repair and are you sure you are
    selecting the correct OS, XP as opposed to Win98?

    --
    Michael Solomon MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    "Dennis Roark" <denroNSPAMearthlink.net> wrote in message
    news:Xns93B6F13B258FAdenroearthlinknet207.217.77. 25...
    > I have a well-running, heavily customized and configured Win XP home.
    > But I am planning on changing motherboards and want to perform a repair
    > install in order to change the configuration to the new motherboard.
    > Because how heavily configured it is, I don't want to start from scratch
    > with a full install. I've used the repair install on other pc's and it
    > does the job. But my home version is not permitting the repair install.
    > Part way through the process the install stops and gives the following
    > error messages. I need some help to find a way around this fatal error.
    > (I have a fully licensed copy of XP home, with the original disks. It
    > was previously authenticated and registered by me. It is completely
    > legal, depsite this inscrutable message when the install stops:
    > -------------
    > Warning:
    > Setup failed to remove product catalog IEEXCEP.CAT
    >
    > Warning:
    > Setup failed to remove product catalog SP1.CAT
    >
    > Error:
    > The signature for Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade is invalid.
    > The error code is fffffdd9
    >
    > The system cannot find message text for number 0xfffffdd9
    > in the message file for syssetup.dll
    >
    > Fatal Error:
    > Setup failed to install the product catalogs. This is a fatal
    > error.
    > --------
    > This is dual boot system, Win 98 and XP with XP on drive D: I have
    > tried various ways around this error, doing the repair install by
    > beginning in Win98; booting from the Win XP Home CD; running winnt.exe
    > after booting first to DOS. Nothing works, I keep hitting this error.
    > Can someone help, please?
    >

    > --
    > Dennis Roark
    >
    > [email]denroearthlink.net[/email]
    > Starting Points:
    > [url]www.home.earthlink.net/~denro[/url]

    Michael Solomon \(MS-MVP-Windows Shell/User\) Guest

  3. #3

    [posted and mailed]

    "Harry Ohrn" <harry---webtree.ca> wrote in
    > Restart the install. During installing before it gets to the error
    > message press Shift and F10 at the same time.
    > This should bring up a command prompt. At the prompt type "cd
    > catroot2" (without quotes of course) and then press Enter Key.
    > Next type "del *.*" (once again no quotes) and hit Enter.
    > Confirm that you want to delete. Then type EXIT to leave the command
    > prompt. You may have to restart setup
    > again if the error message comes up before your finished.
    >
    > see this
    > [url]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307153[/url]

    Thank you, Harry. But do you think this is really the error: The MS
    support doent you referred me to regards upgrading a win version. I
    am not upgrading win 98 but want (and have) a dual boot system. At the
    start of the repair install, if I run it from inside win98, I elect not
    to upgrade but "new installation." Then I later pass up the 'R' to
    repair with the recover console and after my installations have been
    found, select 'R' to repair the previous Win XP Home installation. My
    error code is a little different as well. The reference refers to error
    code 0xfffffdf0, mine is 0xfffffdd9.