Professional Web Applications Themes

Repeating Background - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Truly NEW at this. When I open a new file(jpg) it automatically becomes my background. I then create a new layer but when I open a 2nd image to use, it automatically becomes the background in a new palette window. I can open multiple image files and simply get multiple single backgrounds. Am I forgetting to put the key in the ignition or fill the tank or some other "obvious" step? Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Repeating Background

    Truly NEW at this. When I open a new file(jpg) it automatically becomes my background. I then create a new layer but when I open a 2nd image to use, it automatically becomes the background in a new palette window. I can open multiple image files and simply get multiple single backgrounds. Am I forgetting to put the key in the ignition or fill the tank or some other "obvious" step? Thanks
    Lawrence H Thompson Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Repeating Background

    "Lawrence H Thompson" <memberadobeforums.com> wrote in message
    > Truly NEW at this.
    Me too. :)
    > When I open a new file(jpg) it automatically
    > becomes my background. I then create a new layer but when I
    > open a 2nd image to use, it automatically becomes the background
    > in a new palette window. I can open multiple image files and
    > simply get multiple single backgrounds.
    What is it exactly that you're trying to do? For the basic photo cleanup
    stuff, you should have no trouble editing each photograph you've opened.
    Each time you open a JPEG, that creates a new doent, with its own set of
    layers.

    But, anyway, to answer your question:

    The "Background" in the layer palette refers to the fact that when the JPEG
    is opened, the image as loaded in Elements has a single layer, and that
    layer is the "Background" layer *for that image*. Each image you open will
    have its own set of layers (which show up in the layer palette when that
    doent's window is active), and "flat" images like JPEGs will always open
    with a single "Background" layer.

    I won't go into all of the different characteristics of the "Background"
    layer (because I don't know enough about Elements to do so), but one biggie
    is that it's always at the bottom of the list. Any layers you add to the
    image will go above the "Background" layer.

    A couple of things to know:

    * If for some reason you want to open a second image and incorporate it
    into the first, all you need to do is right-click (Windows...I assume Mac
    has some equivalent) on the "Background" layer *name* in the palette
    (right-clicking on the thumbnail does something different) and choose
    "Duplicate Layer..." from the menu. That will bring up a dialog box in
    which you can specify which doent to copy the layer to; just select your
    first image there, and the "Background" layer will be copied to the first
    image as a regular layer. Of course, this works for any kind of layer. I
    only write in terms of the "Background" layer because that's the only layer
    you'll see when you first open a JPEG.

    * If you find yourself wanting to do something to the "Background" layer
    that you can't because of the fact that it's the background layer, you can
    convert it to a regular layer. Just select the layer in the layer palette,
    then choose Layers/New Layer/Background to Layer.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  3. #3

    Or to save time, just doubleclick the background layer in the layers palette and it will turn into a regular layer.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  4. #4

    Thank you for your extensive reply. It does not, however, solve my problem. I realize that I am not asking the correct question though, so here goes again. I am trying to open a jpg of an ocean scene(which I do and it becomes my background layer) and then create a layer above it which is an Orca that I will eventually adjust and overlay on the background image. I hit the "new layer" icon and a blank layer appears above the background layer and I will name it "Orca". I activate the new layer in the pallette and get a window in the workplace. I choose "select all" and the window receives the "marching ants border". Now, here is where I go wrong(unless I already have). I go to file, browse, find my Orca jpg and double click it. When it appears in the active window, the background image in the pallette window diaappears and the Orca is now the background image. I am back to square one. Should I be wearing a pointed hat and sitting in the corner? Lawrence
    Lawrence H Thompson Guest

  5. #5

    Lawrence,
    No one needs a dunce hat! Is it an issue of opacity? The layers are stacked. If your orca image is the same size as your background image, then it is simply covering the ocean image. Try lowering the opacity on the orca, and see if the ocean shows through. If so, I think it's a matter of selecting only the orca, and making the rest of that image transparent. I don't do this much, so hopefully that will get you started and others can clarify the process.
    Eric
    Eric Matthes Guest

  6. #6

    Lawrence, if I'm understanding your post right, you haven't moved the image of the orca to your ocean background yet. Here's how I would do this, but - since there's always more than one way to do something in Elements - someone may weigh in with a different method.

    First, since I'm a very conservative person, I would make a copy of each JPEG image and change both to PSD. Using JPEGs for extensive editing just ain't a good habit to get into.

    Now, using the PSD version of each image, first open the image of the ocean. At this point you'll get your Layers palette open with just one layer. Double click on that "background" layer to simplify it.

    Next, open the image of your Orca, and have it open on the screen along with your ocean background. Select the Move tool, click on your orca and drag in onto the picture of the ocean. You'll notice that you will get a second layer on your ocean image showing the orca. At this point you can close the picture of the orca and continue to edit the one that has both images combined.

    I think you were missing the step where you have to move the orca into the same image with the ocean. Either that, or you're working from a set of instructions that I'm not familiar with. I didn't try to test according to the method you're using. But mine will get you where you want to be! Good luck! :)
    Beth Haney Guest

  7. #7

    > Thank you for your extensive reply. It does not, however, solve my
    problem.

    I beg to differ. I might not have expressed myself correctly, but I think
    it does answer your question.
    > [...] Now, here is where I go wrong(unless I already have).
    > I go to file, browse, find my Orca jpg and double click it. When
    > it appears in the active window, the background image in the
    > pallette window diaappears and the Orca is now the background
    > image.
    Are you sure that the Orca.jpg is appearing in the same window that
    previously had your other image? Given the steps you describe, I would
    expect it to show up in a brand new image window. Maybe your previously
    opened ocean scene is still there, just hidden by the new doent window.

    AFAIK, opening a new image always creates a new image (doent) window. I
    don't know of any way to open a new file as a new layer in a previously
    opened doent (or to fill an existing empty layer in that doent)

    Your previously opened image (the ocean scene) should also still be there,
    and you should be able to copy the Orca.jpg image to that doent using the
    steps I described. You don't need to create a new, empty layer in the ocean
    scene doent before opening the Orca.jpg file, but the newly opened file
    isn't going to wind up in the ocean scene doent without additional steps
    on your part.

    Pete

    Peter Duniho Guest

  8. #8

    to add to Beth's explanation...your first image when you bring it in is always going to be called a 'backgound' layer...as Beth said, double click on it and rename it and now it's a layer...next step to bring the orca in..file>open>orca.... then go to toolbar under 'window' and click 'tile'..this will put the images next to each other on your screen ( again make the orca image an editable layer by double clicking on it and renaming). OK now you probably want just the orca over your bottom image so this is where you should use a selection tool ( I always use lasso ) and make the marching ants selection around your orca and now you can use the move tool and drag that beast on to your bottom layer.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  9. #9

    Lawrence,
    What you are trying to do is what I always do with my photos.
    1) Under file/new, choose an image size at 300dpi. I generally use 8.5x11" or vs as that is the paper size I like to use.
    2) Open your "background" photo and then drag it (using leftclick and mouse motion) onto your new blank sheet.
    3) Pull the corners of this picture to fill your sheet. If you have a perspective problem, hold down shift while stretching your background. you may end up with a blank area though.
    4) Open the pictures that you want to incorporate and drag them one at a time onto your background.
    5) When done, select each picture one at a time and move it to where you want it. Resize it (using SHIFT and left click on the corners).

    6) Repeat until done. If you want one picture over another, go to your layers palette (upper-right on the screen) and move the image up or down as required.

    Hope this helps,

    John Collins
    John R. Collins Guest

  10. #10

    Are you coping after you are doing the "choose "select all" and the window receives the "marching ants border"" commands then pasting the image into a new layer? Try that.
    Trevor Somers Guest