Professional Web Applications Themes

tion Db2 5.2 - Capture slowdown - IBM DB2

Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database activity. thx, Paolo...

  1. #1

    Default tion Db2 5.2 - Capture slowdown

    Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and
    Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the
    Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
    can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database
    activity.

    thx,
    Paolo

    Rogers Newsgroups Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: tion Db2 5.2 - Capture slowdown

    Service for v5.2 ended two years ago. Many performance improvements have
    taken place for Apply and Capture in v6, v7 and v8.

    Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    > Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and
    > Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the
    > Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
    > can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database
    > activity.
    >
    > thx,
    > Paolo

    Blair Adamache Guest

  3. #3

    Understood, I'm just hoping that there is some other poor developer still
    working with Db2 5.2, because the powers that be, do not wish to upgrade a
    production system that they believe is operating fine.

    "Blair Adamache" <badamache2muchspam.> wrote in message
    > Service for v5.2 ended two years ago. Many performance improvements have
    > taken place for Apply and Capture in v6, v7 and v8.
    >
    > Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    >
    > > Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and
    > > Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the
    > > Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how
    > > can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database
    > > activity.
    > >
    > > thx,
    > > Paolo

    Rogers Newsgroups Guest

  4. #4

    Not sure I can help - there's a possibility of a memory leak (something
    I hope would be fixed if you're on the last fixpak on 5.2 - fixpak 17 I
    believe). It could also be locking contention, which can be debugged
    with the snapshot monitor (see the monitor manual). There are many other
    things it could be as well - Capture works on the logs - maybe these
    become a point of contention during peak times.

    Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    > Understood, I'm just hoping that there is some other poor developer still
    > working with Db2 5.2, because the powers that be, do not wish to upgrade a
    > production system that they believe is operating fine.
    >
    > "Blair Adamache" <badamache2muchspam.> wrote in message
    >
    >>Service for v5.2 ended two years ago. Many performance improvements have
    >>taken place for Apply and Capture in v6, v7 and v8.
    >>
    >>Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and
    >>>Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the
    >>>Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how

    >>>can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database
    >>>activity.
    >>>
    >>>thx,
    >>>Paolo

    Blair Adamache Guest

  5. #5

    Larry,

    From what I have read tion has changed quite a bit in DB2 V8 from all
    previous versions. Have you used it? If so, is it much better than it's
    predecessors?

    "Larry" <lsedelsus.ibm.com> wrote in message
    > Paolo,
    >
    > I don't know if this will help, but in V8, you can have multiple Capture
    > programs operating simultaneously against the same DB2 log. And if I'm not
    > mistaken, the capture program itself is multi-threaded on Windows/UNIX
    > (captures and prunes at the same time). Obviously, multiple captures will
    cost
    > more in RAM, but you may be able to achieve better concurrency ... hard to
    say.

    > See the V8 What's New Guide and tion Guide.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > Larry Edelstein
    >
    > Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    >
    > > Understood, I'm just hoping that there is some other poor developer
    still
    > > working with Db2 5.2, because the powers that be, do not wish to upgrade
    > > production system that they believe is operating fine.
    > >
    > > "Blair Adamache" <badamache2muchspam.> wrote in message
    > > > Service for v5.2 ended two years ago. Many performance improvements
    have
    > > > taken place for Apply and Capture in v6, v7 and v8.

    Paolo Trav Guest

  6. #6

    Yes ... I have used it ... however, not with large volumes. However, that does
    not mean that it is not capable of large volumes ... I have heard anecdotal
    evidence from the lab to support that. Perhaps you should have your IBM rep get
    you in touch with them.

    I can vouch for the much improved user interface. It's great. And there are new
    monitoring capabilities also. It's worth a look.

    Larry Edelstein

    Paolo Trav wrote:
    > Larry,
    >
    > From what I have read tion has changed quite a bit in DB2 V8 from all
    > previous versions. Have you used it? If so, is it much better than it's
    > predecessors?
    >
    > "Larry" <lsedelsus.ibm.com> wrote in message
    > > Paolo,
    > >
    > > I don't know if this will help, but in V8, you can have multiple Capture
    > > programs operating simultaneously against the same DB2 log. And if I'm not
    > > mistaken, the capture program itself is multi-threaded on Windows/UNIX
    > > (captures and prunes at the same time). Obviously, multiple captures will
    > cost
    > > more in RAM, but you may be able to achieve better concurrency ... hard to
    > say.
    > >
    > > See the V8 What's New Guide and tion Guide.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps.
    > >
    > > Larry Edelstein
    > >
    > > Rogers Newsgroups wrote:
    > >
    > > > Understood, I'm just hoping that there is some other poor developer
    > still
    > > > working with Db2 5.2, because the powers that be, do not wish to upgrade
    > > > production system that they believe is operating fine.
    > > >
    > > > "Blair Adamache" <badamache2muchspam.> wrote in message
    > have

    > and
    > the
    > how
    > database

    Larry Guest

  7. #7

    In article
    <qVtXa.98002$rsJ.91212news04.bloor.is.net.cable.r ogers.com>,
    [email]paolotravrogers.com[/email] says...
    > Hi I am running Db2 5.2 and am using the DB2 tion tools Aply and
    > Capture. I am noticing that during peak times on my source server the
    > Capture program begins to lag. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I
    > can optimize Capture so that it can keep up to date with the database
    > activity.
    >
    > thx,
    > Paolo

    I did read something about adding additional indexes to the ASN tables
    to improve performance. Also runstats on those tables and rebinding
    the ASN packages might help.
    As Blair suggested, you need to monitor your system. Maybe the Capture
    process is performing tablescans on the ASN tables or CD tables.
    Gert van der Kooij Guest