Professional Web Applications Themes

Report Prints Last Script Printed Instead of Report - FileMaker

Hello, I am going nuts here. I have created a layout which is going to be used to print out a job order. This is what I am doing: - user selects record from list - user is taken to a General Information layout - user clicks a print button which runs a script - script takes user to Job Order layout - Job Order is shown in Preview mode - user clicks Continue button in Status Area - Print Dialog window appears - user clicks Preview button ! Instead of previewing the Job Order the preview displays the last ...

  1. #1

    Default Report Prints Last Script Printed Instead of Report

    Hello,

    I am going nuts here. I have created a layout which is going to be used
    to print out a job order. This is what I am doing:
    - user selects record from list
    - user is taken to a General Information layout
    - user clicks a print button which runs a script
    - script takes user to Job Order layout
    - Job Order is shown in Preview mode
    - user clicks Continue button in Status Area
    - Print Dialog window appears
    - user clicks Preview button
    ! Instead of previewing the Job Order the preview displays the last
    script that was printed by clicking the Print button on the ScriptMaker
    window. It doesn't matter what I do to make the report print properly.
    All it wants to print is whatever script I happened to print out last.

    It's insane! Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong? I have other
    reports that work just fine. I just can't figure out why FMPro wants to
    keep printing that last script I printed instead of what is displayed in
    the Preview screen.

    I am using FMPro6 on Mac OS X.

    Please Help!
    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    In article <0.0.1>, Mike Trivisonno <it> wrote:

    Does your script have a "Page Setup" function included, with "restore"
    option selected? If so, make yourself a small found set and manually
    print them (from the layout you want your script to use). During manual
    printing, your print window should give you an option to print "records
    being browsed" as opposed to a script. Make sure this is selected. I
    don't know how this appears in OS X, but in the older Mac OS using the
    LaserWriter 8 driver, there is a set of print option menus, one of which
    is "Filemaker." Inside the Filemaker sub-menu are the above-mentioned
    choices.

    Once your manual print test has worked successfully, open the offending
    script in Scriptmaker, then close it. You should get a dialog box asking
    if you wish to keep or replace your page setup. Choose "replace," and
    everything should work.

    But if you do *not* have a Page Setup function in the script, then
    something else is going on. Also, I'm not absolutely positive that the
    Page Setup function controls Filemaker print options under OS X. I use it
    primarily to memorize the page orientation under OS 9.2.2. I've been
    somewhat frustrated by the types of page setups that Page Setup will
    remember, and aspects it won't. I presume that all this is quite
    different under OS X.

    But in general a long-standing irritation is that every time I print a
    script, the next manual print command will print a script unless I
    remember to tell it to print records being browsed. I wish it would
    always default to records being browsed instead of whichever choice you
    last made. Another choice that can mess you up is to print just the
    active record. You can get reports with twenty lines showing onscreen,
    and only one line on thje print out.

    Steve Brown
    eyebrown@mindspring.com Guest

  3. #3

    On windoze, when I do file>print, the print dialog has a line up top that
    says:
    print: and a drop down menu after it.
    It remembers what you last printed: make sure you select the appropriate
    output.

    (this is an easy one to overlook)
    good luck.

    Fritz Guest

  4. #4

    com wrote:

    > Does your script have a "Page Setup" function included, with "restore"
    > option selected? If so, make yourself a small found set and manually
    > print them (from the layout you want your script to use). During manual
    > printing, your print window should give you an option to print "records
    > being browsed" as opposed to a script. Make sure this is selected. I
    > don't know how this appears in OS X, but in the older Mac OS using the
    > LaserWriter 8 driver, there is a set of print option menus, one of which
    > is "Filemaker." Inside the Filemaker sub-menu are the above-mentioned
    > choices.[/ref]

    This was indeed the problem. Once I selected "FileMakerPro", set the
    appropriate options, and replaced the offending script, everything
    printed out as expected.

    I agree with you on this point. What is shown in a Print Preview is what
    should be printed. Defaulting to the last script printed is of
    questionable value.

    Thanks, Steve, for the excellent help.

    Regards,
    Mike
    Mike Guest

  5. #5

    If you don't have a Page Setup step in your script, then you should add
    one (after printing a small found set, as Steve describes). Otherwise,
    Filemaker will use whatever the settings were from your last print job.
    Or, if you haven't previously printed something, it will use whatever
    settings from when it was last printed from the files while in
    single-user mode (before they were put up on the server).

    com wrote:

    Howard Schlossberg (818) 883-2846
    FM Pro Solutions Los Angeles, California

    Howard Guest