Professional Web Applications Themes

Resedit for OSX - Mac Applications & Software

Does it exist?...

  1. #1

    Default Resedit for OSX

    Does it exist?
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Resedit for OSX

    In article <aol.com>,
    comnojunk (Crucifyself03) wrote:

    No. But the Mac OS 9 version works as a Classic app.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  3. #3

    In article <tph-CB4F16.12524431072003localhost>,
    Tom Harrington <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > No. But the Mac OS 9 version works as a Classic app.[/ref]

    There is an OS X version of Resourcerer available. It's a no-frills
    carbonized version -- i.e. it runs natively under OS X but has not been
    otherwised tweaked at all from the previous, OS 9 version.

    Matt
    Matt Guest

  4. #4

    >There is an OS X version of Resourcerer available. It's a no-frills

    Resedit is a 68K app. I am surprised a version for X does not work, or can
    Resedit edit OSX apps?
    JWolf6589 Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Bev Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    >Not strictly true. Nothing prohibits the use of traditional resource

    Resedit is an extremely useful app. I do not think many mac addicts will get
    away from it. Many will still use it under the classic environment of OSX.
    Crucifyself03 Guest

  7. #7

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Michael Allbritton <pbz> wrote:

    > > Resedit is a 68K app. I am surprised a version for X does not work, or can
    > > Resedit edit OSX apps?[/ref]
    >

    > No, ResEdit will not edit Mac OS X apps because OS X apps don't have
    > resources any more; at least they don't have "resources" like Classic
    > apps have. Mac OS X apps are self-contained "packages." You can view the
    > contents of any app package by control-clicking the icon, then clicking
    > "Show Package Contents."[/ref]

    Well, ResEdit can add a resource fork to a file. So I suppose you could
    technically edit a Mac OS X application with it. It just wouldn't do
    you any good.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  8. #8

    On 7/31/03 5:03 PM, in article
    <pbz> wrote:

    >> Resedit is a 68K app. I am surprised a version for X does not work, or can
    >> Resedit edit OSX apps?[/ref]
    >

    > No, ResEdit will not edit Mac OS X apps because OS X apps don't have
    > resources any more; at least they don't have "resources" like Classic
    > apps have. Mac OS X apps are self-contained "packages." You can view the
    > contents of any app package by control-clicking the icon, then clicking
    > "Show Package Contents."
    > Michael[/ref]

    Wrong, you can open an OSX app in Resourcerer and there are the same
    Resources as in OS9.

    Robert Guest

  9. #9

    In article <BB4F4B42.2373%gov>,
    Robert Jennings <gov> wrote:

    > > No, ResEdit will not edit Mac OS X apps because OS X apps don't have
    > > resources any more; at least they don't have "resources" like Classic
    > > apps have. Mac OS X apps are self-contained "packages." You can view the
    > > contents of any app package by control-clicking the icon, then clicking
    > > "Show Package Contents."
    > > Michael[/ref]
    >
    > Wrong, you can open an OSX app in Resourcerer and there are the same
    > Resources as in OS9.
    >[/ref]

    I did not know that. Cool! But are the "resources" really the same? I'm
    not a software engineer, but I do know that an OS X app isn't built the
    same way as a Classic OS app. Could it be that Resourcerer is simply
    displaying the information in a famaliar way?
    Michael

    --
    My email address is ROT-13 encoded. Decode to send email.
    Michael Guest

  10. #10

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Michael Allbritton <pbz> wrote:

    > I did not know that. Cool! But are the "resources" really the same? I'm
    > not a software engineer, but I do know that an OS X app isn't built the
    > same way as a Classic OS app. Could it be that Resourcerer is simply
    > displaying the information in a famaliar way?
    > Michael[/ref]

    Robert, IMO, overstated the case. You can open _some_ OS X apps in
    Resourcerer. You can also use resource files from an OS X app regardless
    of whether the app itself has a traditional resource fork. Resourcerer
    does not "display the information in a familar way." It deals directly
    with the resource (and, in a rough way, data) fork supported by HFS and
    HFS+. They're the same under X as they are in previous systems.

    Gregory Guest

  11. #11

    In article <tph-A8996B.10124901082003localhost>, Tom Harrington
    <no.spam.dammit.net> wrote:

    > > I did not know that. Cool! But are the "resources" really the same? I'm
    > > not a software engineer, but I do know that an OS X app isn't built the
    > > same way as a Classic OS app. Could it be that Resourcerer is simply
    > > displaying the information in a famaliar way?[/ref]
    >
    > Most likely. Very few Mac OS X applications have resource forks. So
    > while Resourcer might show you the same kind of information, it wouldn't
    > be displaying the same sort of "resource" as you'd see in a Mac OS 9
    > application.[/ref]

    Under Mac OS X, since not all supported file systems support forks,
    resources can be stored in the data fork of a file.

    Resorcerer supports data-fork resources. ResEdit does not, but there
    are programs available that will swap the data and resource forks and
    allow ResEdit to edit these resources (you have to swap them back after
    editing, obviously).

    When replying by e-mail, use plain text ONLY to make sure I read it.
    Due to spam and viruses, I filter all mail with HTML or attachments.
    Jerry Guest

  12. #12

    Robert Jennings <gov> wrote:

    > > No, ResEdit will not edit Mac OS X apps because OS X apps don't have
    > > resources any more; at least they don't have "resources" like Classic
    > > apps have. Mac OS X apps are self-contained "packages." You can view the
    > > contents of any app package by control-clicking the icon, then clicking
    > > "Show Package Contents."
    > > Michael[/ref]
    >
    > Wrong, you can open an OSX app in Resourcerer and there are the same
    > Resources as in OS9.[/ref]

    These are likely actually "carbonized" programs that run under MacOS X or
    contain "carbonized" part so to run under MacOS 9 not truely native MacOS X
    programs. Cocoa is a totally different way of doing things form th eold
    day and I doubt ResEdit would ahve clue one on what to do with cocoa files.
    Bruce Guest

  13. #13

    On 8/1/03 7:39 AM, in article
    <pbz> wrote:

    >> Wrong, you can open an OSX app in Resourcerer and there are the same
    >> Resources as in OS9.
    >>[/ref]
    >

    > I did not know that. Cool! But are the "resources" really the same? I'm
    > not a software engineer, but I do know that an OS X app isn't built the
    > same way as a Classic OS app. Could it be that Resourcerer is simply
    > displaying the information in a famaliar way?
    > Michael
    >[/ref]

    When I opened Imovie, all the normal alert, icon, pict, vers, str$ the works
    showed up. Remember, they are bundled, so, you select the app, then select
    conts, then mac os, then Imovie.

    Try Imovie and see.

    Robert Guest

  14. #14

    Bruce Grubb <com> writes:

    Cocoa apps can still be compiled into a file+resources format. It's
    rather pointless, since the app still wouldn't run on OS 9 and the
    package format is the preferred way for an OS X app.

    -- David
    David Guest

  15. #15

    On 31 Jul 2003 17:56:00 GMT,
    Crucifyself03 (comnojunk) wrote:

    No. Resedit 2.3.1 runs under Classic, and can open OS X files that
    have resource forks.

    Resorcerer does run under OS X as a Carbon application. You'll find
    the download link on Versiontracker.

    Out of curiosity, why do you care? In this message:
    you state that you run OS 9.1.

    Or do you also run OS X?

    Bev
    --